DOC WANTS ME TO HAVE INHALER??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Nov 2, 2005.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi
    I have had a really bad chest infection with lots of yukky phlegm (sorry)
    It was really painful cos my chest was so sore.I have been given anti-biotics for a week and he has given me an inhaler as well.I have to go back next week so they can teach me how to use it (it has a big clear bulb thing as well which the inhaler goes into).
    I did have this kind of chest infection 2 years ago and I was so ill that time but I thought it was just flu and did not go for drugs til after 2 weeks which made it last longer.I lost 10 llbs in wieght then and also had bowel and bladder problems caused by coughing up so much.
    My breathing has not been to good lately anyway but I know that can be caused by fibro but it is a lot worse with this infection.

Anyone else on an inhaler??do they help?

Thanks
    Rena
  2. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I am an ashmatic so yes have an inhaler all the time when my daughter had a chest infection dr gave her an inhaler it helps to clear the infection i guess it opens the air ways not sure how it works.if you have trouble using it there are other things to use with the same ingredients good luck Linda
    The volumiser??? makes it easier to inhale the (cannot think of the word a bit of brain fog here lol) contents of inhaler[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  3. TediB

TediB New Member

Your lung capacity is compromised due to infection and inflammation. I use albuterol which helps open the upper bronchial airways and Advair which keeps the inflammation away in my lungs. Advair contains a tiny amount of corticosteroids -- just enough to do the job but not enough to cause any nasty side-effects like oral prednisone and the like. It's one of the easier fixes available for chronic conditions of the bronchials and lungs. Also all that phlegm does cause one to lose one's appetite which could be contributing to weight loss -- not my favorite diet program! Best to you.
  4. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Thanks for replies.
    ELLIE......I did not understand why I needed the volumiser til you said it helps inhale better.

TEDBIT......you are right about the awful weight loss plan that this yukky thing makes us do lol! Look slim but feel like death!

Rena
  5. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Between asthma, allergies and bronchial damage - I use 3 inhalers and a nebulizer with inhalent serum.

Fibro shouldn't change your breathing in particular - it can make it a little painful in the muscles to breath; anything else would be the infection.

The clear tube/bulb thing is just an aerochamber to help get all the medicine into your lungs. I have to use one when my asthma is really bad because I can't take a deep enough breath to get all the medicine in on one puff.

There's not much to learning how to use the aerochamber properly. Just take deep long breaths, and don't rush. If you hear a whistle coming from the chamber then you're inhaling too quickly.

Goodluck!

~Amanda
  6. severina

severina New Member

Yes I have a chest infection, which has just knocked me for six, my back/lungs and chest are aching as well. I got it from really bad green stuff coming down my nose for about 3 weeks and I think it just went into my chest, a month later.
    My doctor gave me a reliever inhaler which I had never used before, so it was weird using it. I am trying to do without it since I dont want to get to have to use it all the time, but I guess I should use it when I need to, it opens your airways and helps you breathe.

Good luck, you are not alone!
  7. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

i have been sick with what sounds like the same as you. i was put on a nebulizer with meds 4 xs aday. my doc said it would keep me out of the emergency room. it helps. i have been fighting this since feb 19. also chills and fever. i feel like i am geting over it for about 4-5 days and it then comes back. i am on an antibiotic now too. i tested negative for the a-b flu. cg
  8. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

i have been sick with what sounds like the same as you. i was put on a nebulizer with meds 4 xs aday. my doc said it would keep me out of the emergency room. it helps. i have been fighting this since feb 19. also chills and fever. i feel like i am geting over it for about 4-5 days and it then comes back. i am on an antibiotic now too. i tested negative for the a-b flu. cg
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I suffer from MCS

Do you ever feel like a guinnea pig?
  10. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

absolutely "YES"...