Doc wants ultrasound of liver done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

My liver count is up a little. Why would he want an ultrasound? What is he looking for? Any ideas?

bozey
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

My liver enzymes will be high one week, normal the next. This has happened more than once. Never has my doc suggested an ultrasound. You may ask him why he thinks you need one. Is your count up often?
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I had one done yesterday. They measured and took pictures of the liver, gallbladder (to check for stones), pancreas and kidneys.

I have a cyst or tumor in my liver that is apparently causing some pain and I also have a hereditary disease called porphyria that tends to cause fibrosis or scarring of the liver.

They look at the texture of the surface for fatty deposits, scarring, abnormal lobes and other things. Also if you have cirrhosis the liver usually begins to shrink in size.

I did have some diarrhea, probably from the pressure on the gallbladder while they were doing the ultrasound. My kidneys also went into high gear for about 12 hours and I had to keep going to the bathroom. Today I feel a bit bruised around the sternum and ribs, but nothing that I can't handle.

Jan