Doc's Comments...LUNESTA...Interesting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Oct 7, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I went to my PCP yesterday, the doctor I trust! I was asking about Lunesta as I have been having trouble sleeping, taking a variety of things just to sleep. WELL,...

As I have taken Ambien for some time off and on, he said that Lunesta was worth a try. Then he said something that I haven't heard before...He said that these two meds give you a natural sleep...all the stages, I guess...unlike other sleep aids. He used an antihistimine as an example saying that is makes a person groggy and may cause sleep, but one doesn't get natural, refreshing sleep. Huh...anyone else heard this? Hope it's true, and I have no reason to doubt him. He's always been straight up and reliable.

I used it last night, and I slept longer, but not long enough. I need to try to go to sleep, and when I wake up, I'll take it. That way it will stretch out the hours. Hope so anyway.

Just wanted to share this with you. New to me.

Hugs to all you bright-eyed people! (-:
    Sue
  2. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi Sue,

I know that the PCP docs are going by what they are reading about the drugs, and I will be interested in hearing how you like it.

I tried Lunesta for 30 days. It worked for me for a day or two. After that it didn't even put me to sleep; so after 30 days I stopped taking it, and to make matters worse, I found it to be physically addicting...so I didn't renew my script. They say it's not supposed to be physcially addicting, but I've learned to not trust the info put out with the new drugs. You kind of have to try them yourself to see if they work for you or not.

Go carefully, and if it works for you, terrific!
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

zopliclone, which is similar to lunesta, that's what she told me as well.

The dose required is individual, in my case a higher dose was needed. How efficiently zopiclone is varies for me, atm it's working very well. :)

Waking during the night is not uncommon when taking this med, but some of us have found we can go back to sleep providing we relax and let it just happen.

Good luck.

Tansy
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

He is 100% right about anti-histamines. Benedryl and the like make you sleepy and drug you out but they don't support levels 3 and 4 sleep and they suppress REM. Not good for our sleep problems.

I don't have any experience with ambien but he is right again about lunesta. It also is non-narcotic and approved for long term use so there is a comfort level in that for me.

Xyrem is also excellent for level 3%4 sleep but not if you have low-no REM sleep.

I have thought all along that the medications approved specifically for sleep disorders were the right way to go. I never could figure out why some doctors rx an anti-depressent when there are some really good sleep medications out there that were approved to treat sleep probs.

Like everything else with us though, not everyone can tolerate the sleep meds. That's just a shame to have the added burden of rx sensitivities on top of battling CFS/FM.

I take lunesta 2mgs ... sometimes break that in half. I fall asleep gently and if I wake up can fall back to sleep easily enough. End up with about 7-8 hours of sleep. My symptoms have improved greatly because of that.

Take care,

Elsa

PS I'd like to address the physically addicting statement. I have been taking this medication since last May. Some times I take it and sometimes I don't. When I don't take it it is because it is too late at night and I have to have 8 hours for it to do it's thing.

Another time I stopped cold turkey for about a week because I was having my GH checked ... when we don't get level 3 & 4 sleep we don't produce GH and I wanted an accurate reading. Again no problems what so ever.

I ask all to please be careful about making "all knowing" statements. Lunesta, like other drugs, cannot be tolerated by many of us who have CFS/FM. What causes a bad problem for one is heaven sent to another. Making statements as fact for the whole based on personal bad experiences might keep someone else from getting the help they need.

Sharing experiences is what this board is all about ... but for the most part, that is all it is ... experiences.

Thank you,

E.

[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2005]
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

benedryl supposedly suppresses REM sleep (which I've heard elsewhere also), but it is the only medication on which I seem to dream AT ALL!

It certainly is a terrible sleep tho, and I am in complete zombie-mode the entire next day. In spite of this, I ocassionally use it when I am desperate for anything close to sleep...for when I run out of klonopin or sometimes WITH klonopin (I do sleep longer with the combo).

I am curious to try the Lunesta
  6. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Sue,
    I have been taking Ambien for about 3 months now with a combination of Mirapex. One gets me sleepy, and the other keeps me asleep. I have noticed that I am dreaming again, and feel more alert than when I was taking Xanax or Halcion.

Hope you get some restful sleep
    :)
    Jessica
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I agree that one person's nightmare is another's sweetest dream. I, too, have taken Ambien on and off for an number of years...even when they thought it was addictive. I have never had a problem with it.

I hope I can go back to sleep tonight when I awake. I just hope it works so that life can look better and I can feel better. I also hope each one here who has a sleep problem can find the answer...whatever it is.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps me. We are all unique so the range of responses is very wide. So interesting, we are!

Sue
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... I appreciate the information on this thread and the statement of not making generalities for medications that different people, react differently to ..
    I have been using zopiclone for over 5 years .. I thought it finally stopped working a few months ago .. but I switched the way I took my meds at night .. added the L-Tryptophan early evening and it set a good cycle with the rest of my meds for sleep .. I'm NOT addicted to this sleep med .. but it works and we all know what happens to us when we don't get the sleep we need .. why would I torture myself to prove a point to anyone else ?
    Fudge : )
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

altho I don't take benadryl as it sometimes knocks me out and sometimes makes me wide awake, and I never know what it will do each time...

However, since I often awaken early with sinus headaches, i take actifed (pseudoepehedrine with triprolidine), and I always have a lot of dreams when I go back to sleep... kinda fun actually!

One thing that should stand out to all doctors is that there is a strong small percentage of the population that always gets paradoxical responses regardless of what the literature says!

all the best,
    Victoria