Docs ignorance: Exercise and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Yet again I am amazed at doctors ignorance when it comes to FM and exercise. At one time, about 8 years ago, I WAS able to exercise. I could actually walk in the park for about 45 mintues at a slower pace, but I could do it.

Now, 8 years later, I wouldn't even DREAM of walking in the park everyday. Hip pain, leg pain, lower back, knee pain and even thigh pain has kept me from exercising for quite some time now. The burning and stinging pain is unbearable for me

I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing doctors telling me I need to exercise for this. They just don't seem to understand that the MORE I exercise, the worse I get in terms of pain and fatigue, headaches, so on.

It is not just a matter of being unconditioned. I remember when I started walking, sure I was a little stiff, then it became better. BUT, this is not the case now. My body literally burns like as if I had some kind of neuropathy or something, and it does not get better with more exercise, just worse. Also, it is hard to bring weight down when you can't exercise, another hurdle for me right now.

I used to be the girl in the park that evenone said "Hi" too because I was there at least 4 times a week, I wish I would have videotaped myself back then just to show these doctors, that "Yes, I did exercise". Sometimes I think these docs think we are lazy, it amazes me how these docs can be "stuck on stupid" about this issue.

Warm pool therapy is an option, but most of these pools are not warm enough for me, or the pools that are available under my insurance close at 3:00 in the afternoon, and I am still at work at that time. Not sure what else to do.

I do realize that some people with FM can exercise, like I used too, this is the confusing part for me, and just complicates matters even more. Just venting, again. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

When I was first diagnosed with FM/cfs I had just had a hyst. . Before the hyst I was at the gym
    4 to 5 days a week. Excersized religiously and was a whopping 112 lbs soaking wet,worked 8-9 days as a retail manager. I still exercise as much as I can daily. Howbeit just light stretching (but I have MCTD) . For me they just didn't believe that I was sick enough to run the right test and it took several years before I could find a doctor that did.
    Try not to let this bone head doctor upset you . You'll find the right doctor who will run the right tests.
    In the mean time if you have a local YWCA around you they sometimes have heated pools and also check out the arthritis foundation web page for a local chapter. They have support groups and low impact exercise programs for free.
    These doctors make me laugh at times . If exercise and anti depressant were the "cure all" for FM/CFS then there would be a lot of us "cured". Most of us do some form of exercise daily . And not all of us suffer from depression. They are just bone heads .