doctor completely blew me off the other day.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

okay so i went to my PCP the other day,
    for the severe nausea i've been having and also for the fast heartbeat i've had to deal with.

she completely blew me off.
    apparently my "GERD is causing the nausea"
    and i'm "stressed out, which is why my hearts beating too fast."

i'm really uncomfortable about this.
    i don't know if it actually is GERD, but i have my doubts.
    i know what acid indigestion feels like, and this is REALLY severe nausea. not like i used to have with GERD.

and sometimes i can't even get to sleep 'cause my hearts beating so fast. it completely freaks me out. my mom brought out her bp/pulse machine the other day, and took my pulse when i was just laying down. it was 108. i know that's not real high, but all i DO is lay down all day now, because i've had this migraine for weeks. it seems like just standing up jumpstarts my heartbeat to ALOT faster then it should be. if i walk across the room it beats so fast i feel like i just ran a mile.

it just doesn't feel right, and i don't like how she just blew me off. i can't really do anything about it because both her and my mom already think i'm a hypochondriac, but i KNOW what my bodys supposed to feel like and this ISNT it.

she took my pulse when i was in her office and it was only 95, so she just kindof blew it off. i'm no more stressed than i was two weeks ago though, i've been stressed since i got SICK, six or seven months ago.

the heart thing just really scares me, and i know i'm not being paranoid because ive only ever felt my heart beat this fast when i've been running.

i guess this is just kindof a vent. my PCP is usually really a good listener to how i've been feeling, but i don't feel like she paid enough attention to it.
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

ARe you on any medications or hormones?
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

in my 20's. Heart pounding very hard, very fast, even when I was lying down "relaxing". I could actually see my chest moving, it was beating so hard.

Saw the Dr., but of course it had calmed down by then. On to another Dr.

Finally, saw one who told me that sometimes birth control pills can cause this. (I had been on them for several years with no problem.)

Anyway, I stopped taking the pills that very day and the problem never occurred again.

This may have no bearing on your situation at all, but I had to mention it when I saw your post.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  4. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

spiritsky,
    i'm currently on cymbalta, ambien, protonix, midrin as needed for migraines, sometimes reglan for nausea, and other migraine meds that i try sometimes, though most of them don't work so i don't try them again after that.

i asked my doctor if cymbalta could be causing the fast heartbeat, but she said she'd never heard of it doing that.
  5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I've heard that cymbalta can cause "irregular heartbeats" in some people, and that reglan can have some serious side effects too ranging from axiety, shortness of breath to full blow seizures. I would try staying off one or both for a day or two, if you can, and see how you feel. As with any drug some people just have different reactions that others and it might take some trial and error to find what works for you. I wouldn't take your Doctor's word as final, it's your body and you know better than anybody what you're feeling and what reactions your having to any meds.

Take care.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Makes the heart beat very fast. It works great on the GERD issue but most docs will not prescribe it due to rapid heartbeat and affect on the Pituary gland.

The nausea, please ask for a parasite test taken from inside the stomach by means of upper endoscopy. You could also have an ulcer. Is this doc a gastro? If not get one, Get another in any case she sounds no good to me.

Love Anne C
  7. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

spiritsky,
    wow i didn't know cymbalta could do that.
    i always look at the little info packets that they give out when i go on a new med, and look it up online too.
    i've never had problems like this with any medication though,
    and could it still be the cymbalta if i was already on it for about a month and a half before these symptoms started?

cromwell,
    could reglan be doing this even if i don't take it very often?
    as i said above, it's hard to believe these meds could be causing it, if it started so suddenly and i've been on them for a while.
    and no, the doctor i went to isn't a gastro.
    my PCP, actually, though i do have a gastro.
    i haven't been to him since last year when they thought i might have something wrong with my gallbladder,
    though if the symptoms keep up with the nausea i might try going back to him.

wakemeup,
    my blood pressure is apparently completely normal.
    just my heart rate that's elevated.
    my PCP just prescribed phenergan when i went to her the other day,
    i haven't tried it yet though.
    i can't drink sprite all that much because of the lemon/lime extracts or whatever in it {at least i think that's what it is, for some reason it makes my GERD realllly bad.}
    i've been hearing alot about gastroparesis...
    does this sound like it could be that?
    sometimes i'm not hungry at all, ifeel like i have a stomach virus and i just can't get myself to eat.
    other times i can still eat but i get severely nauseated.
    and more often than not the things that make me nauseated aren't even things that set off my GERD.

what's the treatment for gastroparesis?
    and is a gastro the only kindof doctor that can diagnose it?
    i'm also wondering about maybe an ulcer or something,
    if the GERD's gotten bad enough.

thank you guys for replying =]
    it really helps.
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

when I am in pain my pulse goes up, my body is "coping" with the pain and this is often the result. You said you had a migraine for some time. This could be the reason. Are you treated for migraines? When our bodies goes into that "flare-like" state this can happen, it never fails with me!

Pain management can help you. get your headaches evaluated. It might be that fibro headache, it can be relentless.

I wish you will feel better soon!

Lena
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Does your insurance require a referral to a cardiologist?

If not, call one for an appointment. If they require your doctor to refer you, call your doc's office and request that they make the appt. If they need to know why, tell them that you continue to have a fast heartbeat and you would feel more comfortable being checked over by a cardiologist.

Maybe the severe nausea has something to do with the fast heartbeat.

Sometimes, though, if you do stress out about your heartbeat, you will get sick over it. Try not to worry about it as much. But if it still occurs, then by all means, make an appointment with a cardiologist and get checked out! You can't mess around with heart problems!

Hugs,
    Janet
  10. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

yes, i do have migraines.
    i've had this one for almost four weeks, now.
    i've been evaluated for them and no one knows what to do.
    i've been to the hospital, been on countless migraine meds. nothing works.

i'd already had this migraine for about two weeks
    when i started getting the fast heartbeat and palpitations.

the fast heartbeat worries me more than the nausea does, since that really could be GERD.
    if it doesn't stop soon i'm definitely taking another visit to my doctor.
    i know it's not stress, i've NEVER had something like this before while stressed, even at my worst.

11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dani:
    Usually what I do is make another appointment and sit and complain about the exact same thing until they get my point that it is not getting better, whatever the problem may be.
    I did that with my rhuematologist three times in two weeks.
    It worked: a change of attitude on his part. It hit me in the pocketbook but was worth it.

N.F.
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'd seriously wonder about that doctor too. I've been through what you described. It wasn't until I was in the middle of one of those "rapid heartbeat" times (and I couldn't catch my breath) that I was diagnosed with panic attacks.

I've also found that when I'm under a lot of stress I get panic attacks and horrible nausea. My doctor gave me something for the nausea. It's a suppository (and my fibro fogged brain will not let me come up with the name) and it works very well.

My nausea and my panic were both related to stress. I would look deeper into this. I was told over and over that there wasn't anything wrong, but there was.

If you don't feel that you got treated right, keep pursueing it. I KNEW there had to be a reason why I couldn't take a deep breath and many doctors had me believing it was all in my head... in the end, there was a problem.

Hugs,

Tigger