Doctor doesn't believe in Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by christrut341, Mar 23, 2006.

1. christrut341

christrut341 New Member

I am 32 years old with numbness in my left arm pain all over my body, terrible migranes, difficulty walking and very bad forgetfulness. My dr sent me to a rheum who told me i had hip bursitis and fibromyalgia. my guess was arthritis but he said no.i also guessed carpal tunnel but the rheum told me no it's fibro. I asked to see a neuro anyway. Then I saw a neurlologist who said i have severe carpal in both hands and ulnar entrapment in elbow. so i told my primary what i had been diagnosed with and he told me in his opinion he doesn't believe in Fibro. I am knew to this diagnosis and it sounds very real to me I can't understand how a doctor could be so dismissive. and i can't understand how doctor's can be so quick to give a diagnosis without running all medical tests. I feel written off by my doctor and I feel lied to by the rheum and now i have to start all over again if i want 2nd opinions. and they wonder why we are stressed!!!
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Most doctors are just not very good. I remember someone on this message board saying, "Remember, 50% of doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class". It's so true, there are very few, really, really good doctors out there.

Don't let it bother you or get you bogged down. Just keep looking for the right answers and a doctor who you can work with. There are always going to be those who just don't get it. Unfortunately, there seem to be so many.

Good luck :)
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

One thing I can say, if you have fibro, and a doctor that doesn't believe in it, you need to find a new doctor.

I am not a doctor, but the pain & forgetfulness could be attributed to fibromyalgia. I would think though, that tests should be run first to rule out other conditions. If your doctors won't do that, it would also be another reason to look for a new one.

Yes, it is a very real diagnosis - ask anyone here. I'm not sure there is one person here who found a good doctor on their first try. It can be a long, frustrating process, but this is your health we are talking about, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck & take care,

Leanne
  4. jackiegraye

jackiegraye New Member

Get a new doctor!
  5. Slangx

Slangx New Member

The problem is, there's no definitive medical test for it. You can't get, say, a blood test that shows up FM in your blood.

What they do instead is rule out everything else. And check the symptoms, of course. Tender points, etc. There are specific criteria for a diagnosis of FM, and having a certain # of these tender points is 1 of the criteria.

Or maybe they'll do an xray looking for arthritis. If the find none, then that's another step. See what I mean?

C.
  6. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Hi,

I understand your frustration. Did the Rhemy check your tender points, that and symptoms and ruling out other diseases give you the diagnosis.

No matter what, you have specific symptoms which need to be addressed. So find a doctor that listens and will treat you accordingly.

This message board is great for venting and getting support, so use it.

Also, GET A NEW DOCTOR. (there are many out there)

Good-luck and understand your confusion.

7. kriket

kriket New Member

I understand, there are a lot of doctors that just don't believe it's real. I had breast reduction about a year ago, and the surgeon asked me if there were any health problems that he needed to know about. So, I said, well I have fibromyalgia, and he in less than 5 seconds said "FIBROMYALGIA IS A WASTE BASKET TERM" I was caught so off guard. I know my blood pressure shot sky high and my mom said it looked like I could have killed someone. Anyway, I thought it was really lame of him to say that,especially since that's not what he even specializes in!!!!

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  8. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

even though fibromyalgias getting more common these days,
    there ARE alot of doctors who still refuse to believe there's anything wrong with those patients other than a psychological problem.

i tried to go to a RHEUMATOLOGIST at a really well known hospital near me,
    but the doctor told me she flat out WOULD NOT see me,
    because fibro doesn't exist and clearly i needed to see a psychologist.

don't let these doctors get you down though,
    i suppose eventually they'll have to confront the fact that there are ALOT of fibromyalgics out there, and it really does exist.
    until then we just have to deal with the skeptics.

don't give those doctors the time of day =]
    you need to find one who believes in fibromyalgia and will actually try to help you.
    i was pretty lucky. my primary already has several young FM patients, so she keeps up with what's going on with me.
    just ignore the slow ones,
    find one who'll work with you in terms of your FM.
    The rheumatologist will probably work with most of it,
    but it's easier to have someone following up on you
    when they DON'T think you're insane, because you're not =].
  9. nancyann62

nancyann62 New Member

Hi,

Your doctor doesn't have the priviledge of ignoring a
    real disease. It's the same as saying he doesn't believe in cancer or ms or diabetes. Many doctors don't
    want to learn anything new, read a medical journal. or,
    Lord forbid, be told something from a patient that they
    have no idea how to handle.

Since he can't help you, please find someone else.

Hoping you will find the help you need..........nancy
  10. christrut341

christrut341 New Member

thanks all for your informative advice. I made a decision today to see a new dr. But will do my homework before settling and will rely on a referrals I have gotten from family with great doctor patient relationship.

I have enough trouble getting out of bed every morning to have to suffer an insensitive doctor. I am sure there is a very good one out there it's just a matter of finding him/her.

11. sept

sept New Member

Ask him why insurance companies have a numerical code for fibo so it is pd by insurance?? He's just way behind times. Wonder if he is aware of cancer patients living more often than dying??
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2006]
  12. jake123

jake123 New Member

1950? One time I said "Well, call it what you like, I call it damn friggin' pain most of the time."
    What losers those doctors are.
  13. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I spent 18 years trying to find a doctor that believes in fibro and cfs. The best experiences I have had are with alternative medicine doctors who also are MD. I definitely would find me another doctor.