Doctor in the morning...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have been much worse lately. Double vision daily but intermittent. Headaches are getting worse each day. I have almost fallen several times in the shower because of lack of balance when my eyes are closed. I hope they will order an MRI this time, I have a gut feeling that "Lucy" my pituitary tumor is growing again. It's to the point with all of this, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, chronic headaches, migraine disease, IBS and major depression...I am seriously considering filing for SSDI.

I wonder if I even have a chance...

Thanks for listening.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry to hear about this. Does the title mean you see your doctor in the morning.

At least you have a sense of humor. Lucy, what a great name. I had a car I named Lucy because of all the problems.

I would go for the SSDI. I would think that you would more than qualify.

Take care.

3. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have been going back and forth on filing for SSDI for several years. I haven't worked full time for more that 3-5 months in the last several years. I miss so much work, it's awful.

Yep, Lucy was what my sister and I named the original tumor I had in 2006 and "she" was removed in 2007. In my family we're a little nutty like that and at times it's either cry or laugh. I would rather laugh, if that makes any sense but that doesn't mean I don't cry. I am rambling...

Yes, I have an appointment this afternoon and have no idea why I worte moring.

Thanks for listening and respondingg.
  4. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

Do file for SSDI immediately, but bare in mind the "Tricks" you will have to play. It is almost always denied the first time, and often the second time, too. It took me 3 years to get it and that's not uncommon.
    It's so important to present yourself in the worst possible light. I don't mean lying. I mean don't empahsize how well you're doing "considering." They take that to mean you're not disabled. It was so hard for me to present myself that way! I didn't want to think of myself that way. I guess I wanted to be admired or something for pulling through, stiff upper lip, etc.
    Don't do that. Take your worst day (and night), and That's Your Life. It's even hard for me to say that now, but that's what it has to be.
    Also: a lawyer. You need a disability lawyer They take a third of your award, I think. I think that's how much. It's been a long time.
    Please take care of yourself. I wish you well.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Actually, you only have to have been disabled for 6 months with evidence that you will continue to be so for at least another year in order to file; however, you also have to have worked at least 10 years total in your lifetime, and there is another minimum amt that you have to have worked within a certain amount of time before filing.

So, if you are unable to work very much or are working intermittently, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you hold off on filing, unless you really don't need it but it sounds like you do. (Even if you do not meet the work qualifications, you may be eligible for SSI, but not for SSDI and SSI pays even less than SSDI, which generally does not pay well to begin with.)

Also, you do NOT need a lawyer. They basically charge you to tell you what to do, and the SS people will tell you what you need anyway. Even with a lawyer you still have to gather the needed proof yourself. I applied without a lawyer and I know of others who have, too, and we were successful.

I will say that the process is very difficult physically and cognitively, and it is stressful and takes a lot of work. So, if you wait until you really, really, really need it, you may not be able to go through the whole process. I needed it badly when I applied and it was very hard to get through the process; however, if I waited until now, I would not be able to get through the application becasue I am simply too sick now. (That is not to say to do it if you do not need it at all, though. Obviously that would not be a good thing. But it is to say that if you continue to wait until you are really desperate, not only may it become impossible to get through the process, but given the amount of time it typically takes, you may be stuck for a very long time with no income.)
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

for the advice. I am having an MRI this afternoon to see if there is any new growth on my pituitary gland. I hate to say it but I have a feeling that it will show that the tumor is back.

Thanks again.
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am just me. I have tests results to back me up as well as physicians, who have been wanting me to stop trying to work. I have just been too stubborn to give in and the fight is gone, if that makes any sense.

Thanks again.
  8. matieofleaves803

I received my disability a day before I was to go before the judge. I had been a live-in Home Health Care aide so that my work and living situation was the same. My lawyer told me my judge would be impresed by the fact that I tried to work. I don't know how that fits in with being the worst ----maybe because living and working were the same.
  9. matieofleaves803

It looks like things have changed since I applied. I applied in '89 and got it in '93. CFIDS did Not_ "exist" back then, and lawyers were badly needed.
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

cfs was officially recognized in '99 but it's not so much the diagnosis that matters's the symptoms and their impact on your daily life and ability to work....having a cfs diagnosis not only does not automatically qualify one for ssdi, but it actually in many cases seems to hurt people bc of the ongoing disbelief

when I applied I just detailed absolutely every symptom I had and how it affected my ability to function, what I had tried for it and how those thngs had affected me, etc....and of course I had dr notes, tests, etc and written testimony from family and friends explaining how much my functioning had changed