Doctor 's Appointment Today Put Me on Zoloft

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Oct 20, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, don't know what to do, the doc wants me to try antidepressants again. Starting at a very small dose. She said I have fought this anxiety/depression long enough.

She doesn't want me to even finish the antibiotic she thinks the ear/ head problems are all anxiety/depression and CFS related.

She said with this darn DD I need something. I am so scared to try the zoloft, she also wants me to up my xanax for now until the zoloft kicks in, and if it doesn't work she will keep trying till we find one that does.

I am so scared but feel I have no other choice. Oh, she does want me to see a therapist, who is out of town and with my agoraphobia what to do???

Thanks so much for letting me vent, I do know something has
    got to give as I can't live like this..

Just Venting,
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Please try the zoloft, your doctor is right, you've been going through this for too long. Just make sure you give it a few weeks, and this could turn around for you.

Take it slow and don't give up.

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

please try the zoloft.

would your doctor consider trying something else besides xanax.

how long have you been on it and at what dosage?

I once at agoraphobia its not fun. am finding that the longer im housebound the syptoms seem to be coming back.

vent away i enjoy your posts

a grandma too
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sue, I will try,you will have to be my coach..

3gs, I take 1/4 mg of xanax 3 to 4 times a day, she has upped it to .05 three times a day until the zoloft kicks in, if it does. Then hoping I want did the xanax except as needed.

I have been on xanax for about 7 years never had to up my dose, this is one reason she wants me on an antidepressant cause the xanax doesn't seem to be working like it once did.

I am not sure how I am going to take zoloft and not drive as I have to pick up my grands and greats grans from school and preschool. Plus baby sit my greatgran in the afternoons.

Before I begin the zoloft I will need to find someone who can do this for me so can't begin it tonight like she wanted me to.

My husband will be off starting Friday for 5 days so will wait till then. Oh, I am just a basket case....

Thanks and Hugs,
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Would she be ok with you upping your Xanax first to see how that goes?

I ask that because Xanax has anti-depressant effects as well as anti-anxiety and you know that you can tolerate it. And, if I remember correctly, you are currently on a tiny dose.

Since she wants you to up it anyway, why not change one thing at a time. Also, since the effect of Xanax is known faster than that of SSRIs, you could give it a trial of a month (two/three weeks even) without muddying the picture with two drugs.

Have you had a bad experience on an SSRI in the past? Is that why you are reluctant. I can't take them and I must admit my bias.

Please keep talking to us! And, remember that a way out of this will be found.

You will feel better!

ETA I'm a little confused as to why you would be told to stop taking an antibiotic before the end of the course. That makes very little sense to me.

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2008]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

3 times a day is a teeny tiny dose.

1.5 mg per day is more likely to give you a noticeable effect while still being a very low dose.

7. NewSky

NewSky New Member

The ear/head problems that are on-going for you. Just over a year ago we went through a major move. Before the move I got an ear infection. Never had one in my life. It was the right ear - although the left ear got a bit infected, too.

The swelling, the pain, and the heavy head. And the awful tinnitus that resulted from it. I know just how miserable it makes you feel. The doctor was sure that it was an inner-ear infection. Fortunately, it did clear up.

Every now and then I feel (or hear) a soft fluttery, rattley sound. So, I think that this problem could possibly recur. Before the infection I always had an itch in my left ear. Strangely, not the right ear. We lived in the country, I had my hands in the herb garden, daily. So, I'd scratch my ear, deeply. The infection could have come from the soil. Also, I know I never wiped my ears out properly - after a shower.

I keep my nails very short. And if I do get an itch I'll wash my hands with soap, first. Or use a hanky wrapped around my fingers, to scratch. After a shower, I diligently wipe the inside of my ears with a towel. Then I get a clean hanky around my fingers (as above) and get all the moisture out. You'll see the moisture on the hanky - because it goes in further than a towel. So far, so good.

These two tips may sound basic - but I really believe its helped me not to get another ear infection. And oh boy, do I know the pain and the anxiety this condition, causes.

Hope this helps you in some way. Take care...NewSky

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks, The reason she didn't want me to finish the antibiotic, If I became nauseated she wouldn't know if it was the antibiotic or the zoloft. She checked my ears and said they still had some fluid not much and my sinuses didn't look bad, thought it would clear up on its on and then I have taken so much antibiotics.

Since I won't be able to start the zoloft till Firday I am upping my xanax just to see what happens.

I have tried antidepressants in the past but this time the depression seems so bad especially in the morning that I am not functioning.

I sure hope something helps. I know you have through this so any input would be much appreciated.

9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Rafiki, yes I have tried many antidepressants and terrible side effects is why I don't want to take them but then I really never gave them more than a day or two.

At that time the xanax worked and I had more anxiety than depression but this is so different.

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you. When you had the ear problem did it cause anxiety/depression? Are your prone to be depressed or anxious if so do you take any meds for it.

Glad you are doing better with your ear problems, I always try to dry my ears out but its hard to get in there so you have a great plan.

11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Did the doctor tell you that you wouldn't be able to drive on Zoloft? I know my father in law took Zoloft and there was not problems with him driving. I was just wondering if it was a temporary thing or something cause I hadn't heard of it before.
  12. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I take zoloft and find it helpful for brain fog and helps you feel better about feeling crappy, if that makes sense(everything is water off a ducks back). Its more of an activating antidepressant. I initially started on a 1/4 of 50mg dose and now on a half, have tried full 50mg dose but didnt noticed any real improvement, had a slight tremor so backed off to 1/2.
    I would recommend starting ultra low and increase slowly. I wouldnt be scared of it, you will know withing 2 weeks if its for you and if not, stop taking it and maybe try something else, its know big deal.
    good luck with it.
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Dragon, the doc didn't want me driving until I see how the drug affects me, if it makes me sleepy etc. Don't want to take a chance with the little ones.

Heapreal, so you take zoloft and it has helped, that is encouraging. The doc is starting me out on 1/2 of 25 mg since I am so med sensative.

I do hope I can get the same effects as you have.

Now, what about the tremors what were they like. I took zoloft, the same small doze back in the 90's and the tenth day I was in wal-mart and reached to get something and starting shaking, didn't think I was going to make it home.
    It was like a low blood sugar attack. Is this anything like
    you had?

Thanks to each of you for your replies.

14. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Greatgran!
    I started taking Zoloft in 2003 and it did wonders for me! I had to take it at night rather than morning in order to stay awake at first. I started on 25 mg and worked up to 50mg, then went back to 25mg.

I did not have a good reaction to Prozac or Wellbuterin(made me nervous and shakey) but the Zoloft was perfect for me.

I would encourage you to start off slow and keep in mind it takes a few weeks to kick in. It helped me the first week. I started it for severe PMS, but soon realized I'd been dealing with depression related to stress from my now ex husband.
    Take Care,
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm glad that he prescribed you something. There is no point in living in hell when there is something that might actually help you. You will need to give it more than a day or two. Usually it takes a couple of weeks to get in your system and really start working. The only side effect that you need to really watch for is feeling worse - the others should subside with a little time - if you have any at all.

I'm curious too about the driving issue you mentioned. You should be able to drive while taking Zoloft. Shouldn't have any effect whatsoever. Especially if you're experiencing anxiety and it helps with that, I would think it should make the whole experience easier.

It's time you start feeling better!! We're all behind you and rooting for you! It's no fun (to say the least) suffering from anxiety and depression. The experience I've had with anti-depressants is that they just make the grass a little greener. It's a subtle effect - one day you might notice 'hey I don't feel so hopeless' - which is exactly what you want.

I've been on Zoloft before - had no side effects at all.
    I wish you the best of luck on it, I hope it works for you.
    I want you to feel happier! I know you've been resistant to being on any ADs, but if there is something that can help you, why not take advantage of it. It may very well change your life.

My Mom who did NOT want to take anything finally agreed to go on an anti-depressant (she does not have Fibro). Oh, we're all so glad she did. It has helped her so much - we've had the medication and her dose adjusted a few times, but all in all it has definitely made a difference in her life.

Keep us posted - come here, don't EVER apologize for venting and most importantly, hang in there. You took the first big step! Yea - we're proud of you!! Again, please do not be afraid to take the Zoloft. Remember to give it some time to work.

Hugs - Big ones!!
  16. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I had this up to reply, before I had read the other posts -so sorry to have asked questions that you had since answered!
    Regarding the driving, maybe take it at night, it shouldn't effect you in the morning then with sleepiness. 1/2 of 25 mgs is a very low dose. You may not even notice anything at all. I never got sleepy with it, but we certainly are all different, aren't we! =)

Does your Xanax make you sleepy? I can't even take 1/2 of one of those or I'm out!

When I was on Zoloft, I started on 50 mgs. Many other people that I know who take Zoloft also started on that dose to give you a point of reference, so you should be fine on that low dose to start.

So...we'll be checking in with you the first week of November to see how you're doing with it (roughly two weeks) okay?

17. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am afraid of zoloft because I am afraid of antidepressants. I have tried them in the past with bad side effects. I don't think I gave them long enough so will see what happens.

I am medphobic as I call it I am just afraid of medicines, have had so many reaction,also could be a part of anxiety.

Something has got to give don't like feeling this was but today I have felt half way "normal" so what gives. Maybe I just won't admit my problem is depression, who knows.

I haven't started my zoloft yet going to wait till Thursday
    Hubby will be home in case I have to drive,he doesn' have to go back to work till Wed. so that will give me a few days to see how its going.

I am taking the xanax as prescribed but for some reason my head feels clear today. Don't think its the xanax as I upped those a few days ago.

Will, let you know how I do and thank you so much.

18. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your encouragement. You are so right, in fact I have come to the conclussion I have to try something cause this is not getting me anywhere except in a deeper hole.

I know it will take a long time with the therapist so will give it a try.

I did try buspar once and it was horrible, I do remember that. When I take antidepressants it's like bees going off in my head so bad and hold my head and scream, this was the same side effect I had with buspar.

Since I have to transport and care for the the grands and greatgrans I want a few days with someone around just in case..

19. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Zoloft is one of the ADs I can tolerate. It has helped me tremendously not only for depression but also the pain.

It can be scary trying new meds. when some of us get side effects easily.

However, I would give it a try. I unknowingly was taking only half of my dosage of Zoloft for a while. My pain increased dramatically. When I got back on my regular dosage, first the pain went away. As the pain lessened I realized that I had been also having some depression from the decrease in Zoloft.

There were several times before this DD when I would try to lower my dosage of Zoloft and I would not get pain. Just an increase in depression.

Even though I was still on the Zoloft, when the dose was raised it took four weeks to really see some improvement.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

20. NewSky

NewSky New Member

G’day greatgran

About my previous ear infection. I forgot (CFS memory lapse) to mention that the doctor also said old injuries to the ears can set you up for ear infections years later. And I did have an injury when I was 16-years old.

Yes, when I had the ear infections it caused me a lot of distress. I felt anxious, and now that you mention it...depressed. I couldn’t take any noise. Especially, loud noises. I had ringing or rattling in the ears. And the fullness in the ears, and head. Swelling in ears, jaw and upper neck. It was a horrible experience. I’m sure it would depress, anyone.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “prone to be depressed or anxious?” Are you asking me whether I’m an optimist or a pessimist etc?
    No, I don’t take any medications. For years, I took Normoysons, to sleep. I stopped taking those 4-years ago. I’m glad to see the good people here are helping you regarding the antidepressants etc.

Good luck with the new meds and in seeing a therapist. I’m all for anything that makes you feel better.

I'm going to have a rest, right now. Then I'm going to post another reply. I've got something else I'd like to share with you. Hope you're feeling better, today.

hugsback NewSky