Doctor said depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Sep 23, 2006.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i went to yet another doc visit....told her about my constant uncontrollable fatigue and some body aches. The only freakin comment she made was....you know fatigue is a sign of depression. I figured she would say that....and yes i am getting to the point i am gettin depressed too, but i know this is not a depression issue.
    its funny you need a positive LAB test to be diagnosed with anything...but there is no lab test to check confirm you have depression..but they are soooo SURE you have it! WHY DONT YOU TRY PROZAC, OR PAXIL...BLAH BLAH BLAH
    I tried proz once and have never been the same since. It screwed me.
    Anyhow....of those of you trying or that have been diagnosed...did you have to go through many doctors that wrote you off as just being depressed?
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

A doctor should find out whether there is a physical reason for the symptoms before assuming it's depression. To say that is what it is without "clinical evidence" and not knowing you at all is wrong-my opinion.

State that you don't think it's depression at all, and if you are slightly depressed it's because you're not taken seriously.

I bet you have other symptoms too- contra the doc by asking if depression causes low-grade fevers, neuropathy, heat intolerance, or whatever symptoms that "doesn't match".
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Next time you see your doctor tell her that you WANT to do things but you just CAN'T because of the pain and fatigue. You dont lack motivation.

It's shocking that doctors are still going around ignoring whats actually happening.

It happened to me but it was in 94...I've been lucky since.

love Rosie
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

thank u everyone for taking the time to respond. :) i will try and incorporate everyones advice.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Just a thought...

Ask your dr. to test you for Epstein Barr Virus...lots of times it is the only thing that shows up positive when we first become sick with CFS.

Of course you're depressed, the way you have been feeling. If you feel you do not have general depression, tell the dr. that and ask her to keep looking because something is wrong with you.

EBV, if positive, is not diagnostic for CFS, but adds to the picture the dr. may have, and if you remain sick, she may decide you have "chronic mononucleosis", which my granddaughter's dr. did. She said they are finding out more about it and it is more common than thought.

In my opinion, it was a way to NOT say CFS, but that's ok, at least she then believed my grdau was sick!

Good luck to you, keep us informed, ok?

findmind
  6. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I was told I had depression which turned out to be cfs. Of course, if you have cfs you have a really true reason to be depressed!!!!!!!!!

Now I have a doc. who knows that I have cfs, and that I get miserable with it.

Depression is often an easy way out as an explanation for symptoms, especially if you are a woman. I doubt if your doc. would have said the same thing quite so quickly if you had been a man.
  7. larryh

larryh New Member

Your doctor should be asking which came first. Fatigue or depression. If the fatigue is caused by depression it would come first. I have problems with depression, but it didn't start until nearly a year after the fatigue.

Larry
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

*Sigh* So typical, unfortunately.

Findmind has an excellent thought about an EBV test and Lenasvn is also right; there are other markers if they look. Don't hesitate to get another opinion. There must be other good docs around you, although I don't know where you live.

In answer to your question, I was finally dxed with EBV then after I researched I asked my primary doc to refer me to a not-too-far-away CFS clinic I'd heard about for more tests. He did and my suspicion was confirmed. That was twelve years ago and even less was known about CFS then so you're in a good position now.

Good luck to you.
    Marta