Doctor said new FMS med coming out

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Sep 9, 2005.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I just went to see my pain doc and he said there is a new Fibro medication coming out in 6 months. He would not tell me the name, said he couldn't remember what it was called.

Wondering if this is new news for all or just me? Let me know if you know the name of this med.

My next question to my doc was if he thought the insurance companies would pay for it LOL. He said "good question".

Thanks and hugs, Shawn
  2. joncyn1990

joncyn1990 New Member

Hey Shawn,

Your doc may be talking about Lyrica (drug name - pregabalin). This drug is similar to Neurontin except that some of the licensing studies being done are actually for FM, so its use for that won't be 'off label'.

The main advantages they are saying this drug has for FM is control of neuropathic pain (i.e., tender points, muscle pain) as well as help in stabilizing sleep patterns. The studies have had very good results and in fact this drug is already licensed in Canada and overseas (our wonderful FDA at work...ha).

Not sure what else he could be talking about - my pdoc is one of the best 'drug' docs around - keeps up on all the latest - and he hasn't mentioned anything else recently.

Hope this helps! :)

Cyn