doctor suggests yoga- any opinions !!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kathleen1437, Sep 1, 2005.

1. kathleen1437

kathleen1437 New Member

On latest visit to my GP she suggested i try yoga ,i have to say i left feeling somewhat bemused. I have trouble doing day to day tasks ,one problem being if i sit on floor i have trouble getting up. I have always been willing to try new ideas ,but this one fills me with horror. I would be interested to hear what everybody thinks of this suggestion.
    hugs kathleen
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2005]
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I agree in a way. I do chair dancing, to keep my legs from cramping up. That way I don't hurt myself either, have weak ankles, but I still try to Tap dance, don't laugh, it's great excerise, lol. ok laugh. ;o)

Really for now, I swim every other day. I have a Rotator Cuff that was damaged and has never healed right, and I find swimming, to be a good range of motion for it, along with Ironing.

I know not everyone can Move, I was at that point too, but after ten years of living with these DD's, I have found that if I can move, I don't Hurt as bad.

Then there are the day's, when I can't even crawl out of bed.
    These DD's are so much fun, not.

There are some gentle excerises you can do while in bed, it does help to Gently do stretching excerise's, I wouldn't attempt anything beyond what you can do with out causing Pain.

Here's a laugh for you, I am taking my GD to Ballet classes, and I find it hard to just sit there, and not get up and join the class.
    lol, could you see a 60 year old, dancing, with 6 year olds.
    Way to funny.
    Hug's,
    Sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2005]
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

he said gentle yoga. He also said to be careful and not hurt myself.

abbylee
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

My doc said that yoga is good for some people because of it's calming effects and gentle stretching. He told me to avoid it like the plague because I'm so hperflexible tht I'd end up doing more harm then good.
  5. patchwork

patchwork New Member

I've had CFS for 26 years and I have found yoga is one of the only things that has ever helped! I do it very gently and focus on relaxation. Also I only do it when I feel I can. I find I have an improvement of my symptoms very quickly. I can't tolerate any other form of exercise.
    Good luck,
    Patchwork xxxxxx
  6. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

My doctor recommended tai chi - and in fact, he has classes in his building. The meditative aspects he says are as good for us as the gentle motions ...

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to sign up for some classes. I really think it will help.
  7. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

i found tai chi mor exhausting than yoga. i think we ar all diffferent in what we can tolerate.

i also think its really important for any "exrcise" or movement we speak to someone who knows what we have and have some sort of experience of dealing with people with our condition. i have been to yoga classes which have wiped me out for days and also classes that have left me feeling refreshed and rested.
  8. kathleen1437

kathleen1437 New Member

Some interesting views on benefits of yoga ,do Tai Chi when up to it and believe walking is great excercise ,i do what i can on good days . I have found a little excercise better then none .
    hugs to all
    kathleen
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Kathleen,

Yoga can be very beneficial for those of us with FMS. The wonderful thing about it is that we can do as little or as much as we can tolerate. I used to do more but now can't do as much. I find that the stretches feel wonderful and it has an amazing calming effect.

There are classes called Restorative Yoga that are targeted specifically for people with physical problems such as chronic pain. My teacher actually had FMS herself. All the poses were adapted for those of us with pain.

Good luck with this.

Kathy.
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I find it to be helpful..but not a miracle cure! I took a class several years ago..and now I just adapt what I do..to how I feel and what hurts on any given day. I do Hatha Yoga, which is a very adaptable form. My doc was very pleased to find I did yoga..before I got dx'd.!
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

and stretches just made matters worse. For many years I had been advised to practice yoga to help my back and joint problems, prior to becoming ill, now I am one of a growing number who can confirm Rose_red’s doctor gave her good advice.

Dave made a good point. How many of us have come across practioners etc who are convinced they have the answer for us only to discover it fails because they have no real understanding these DDs? I have often found someone who admits they know very little about ME/CFS, chronic borreliosis/lyme etc, but is willing to learn and work with me; has frequently proven the most helpful.

Jeanne-in-Canada has recently posted about y-dan, which is a very gentle form of tai chi. This might be a good one to start with.

Tansy
  12. kirsty28

kirsty28 New Member

i do a gentle yoga for beginners/older folks...(i am 30)took some time to get into it but it is great and while i'm there my minds switched off to the pain and its great for your lungs with all the deep breathing..i do it at home too when pain is unbearable just for something to try (does not always work but gives your body a big stretch)
    it is not all hardpostures/poses....just lying in the corpse position doing the yoga breathing is a very beneficial yoga move---how hard is that to do every week?
    give it a go if you can find a good tutor!
    good luck!
  13. sofy

sofy New Member

It certainly wont hurt you and stretching those muscles should help the pain. I dont do yoga but if I dont keep my muscles constantly stretched Im in a lot more pain.

It sure beats taking pills. Give it a try and hope for the best. A lot of people swear it helps
  14. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Kathleen,

I have FMS and started doing Kripalu yoga last year. It is a very calming form of yoga. We do great stretches for all areas of our body. Our instructor has FMS herself and she started doing yoga to help her own fibro problems. She also teaches us how to breathe properly and give oxygen to our body parts that are craving it. Sometimes the balancing is difficult for me, so I hold on to a wall or the dance bar.

Even when I go to class feeling terrible and hurting a lot, I leave feeling much better. I look forward to going every week. I hope you will enjoy it, too!

Cindy
  15. sleepysue

sleepysue New Member

Hi Kathleen, I have been practicing Yoga for about three years now, two nights a week for ninety minutes and I don't know how I would function without it. I am 56 years old and have been suffering with Fibro for many years. I work full time and have one very active almost two year old grandson and another granchild on the way. I live close to my grandson and babysit often. I know that I would not be able to lift him or run after him without my Yoga practice. I told my instructor at the first class about my having Fibro and he told me to do what I can do no more. That is the great part about Hatha Yoga you learn to listen to your body and only go as far as you can in each posture. Sometimes I can't even do a particular posture but it doesn't matter. My strength and flexibity have improved so much. I always had very poor posture and that has improved greatly and I am so relaxed at the end of class. I just can't say enough about how Yoga has helped me deal with my pain and learn how to lessen it without drugs. I had a bout with collegenous collitis from January thru June and was very sick but I would not miss my Yoga practice. I am afraid to take Ibuprophen any more because that could have caused my problems. So I must deal with my pain in other ways. We do alot of core strengthing work in my Yoga class and that has made such a differnce in my balance. My back and hips feel so much better after class I just love it. My husband and friends have noticed a difference in me. I can now walk again without my legs, hips and back just killing me. You can even do some of the stretchs you learn in the shower in the morning. My goal is to build my practice to four times a week. Meditation also helps you to learn to deal with stress and pain. I only wish I had discovered this natural body work years ago. Watch little babies they know instinctivly to stretch when they wake up. Well I guess you can tell I love Yoga and urge you to listen to your GP she is on to something. Namaste