Doctor visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by azbubba, Oct 10, 2006.

1. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Thought I would do a quick update after the doctor visit.

Wasn't a bad visit...he didn't go on any lectures about exercise or diet. He is still trying to find some answer to why I'm so fatigued and tired, and said I should go back to the rheumatologist. I asked why I should go back when he obviously is not going to give me any suggestions, and he said "yep, that's a good question." So, I will be seeing another rheumatologist (second rheumy, eleventh doctor in 16 months.) Oh, and I will see a psychiatrist after Thanksgiving, so I guess that will be number 12.

I also mentioned that I have been missing a lot of work lately, and that I wasn't getting paid for it...and asked if disability was an option. His answer surprised me: he said that if I wasn't getting any better after seeing the next two doctors, that he would do the write-up on whatever I needed to get disability from either my work or Social Security.

This is a decision that leaves me extremely conflicted. On the one hand, I'm 39, and am much too young to contemplate not working. However, I've only been averaging about 32 hours a week lately, and have had trouble doing even that. I don't do what I would consider a lot of social activities, mainly confining that to church once a week, and a small group every other week. There's more banging around in my head right now than I can put down on this subject, so I'll save it for another post.

But anyhoo, that's what's going on. I'll keep ya posted...
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It sounds like your doctor is on your side which is a good thing. If you end up going for disability don't feel bad about it. It's probably the right thing to do for your health...forcing yourself to work more than you can will only make you sicker.

Also, on disability there is an option to work part time...you can make up to a certain amount and still keep your disability so that is an option as well cause it sounds like you may be able to handle part time.

Either way keep your health in mind. These are all very big decisions to make and they will take time in adjusting to them but that's what we're here for, to help you through those times.
  3. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Hiya there, i am 39 too although i was 27 last time i had a body/life.! I havn't been able to work for over 5 yrs now. I refused to give up or give in... I was going to WIN!

Well I didn't win AT ALL not one teensy weensy bit. It has kicked my arse to the wall. MY advice,Sorry i know your not asking! but to seriously consider what the doctor has said. Pushing yourself to do more than the body is comfortable with is not the way to go.. I am paying dearly for not listening to my body, when it was screaming to rest,,,,, I would not listen. I finally ended up bedridden and in so much pain. Thats when i gave up work!

I am still not well enough to work an hour a week and this is 5 yrs on... Why i thought my job was worth more than my life, i'll never know.

I am not saying this will happen to you, but it might pay to think about how to fit work around your illness, like work from home, so that you can work when your up to it etc, if thats possible. Or further part time hours.

And then money is always the issue. over here i am not entitled to any sickness as my husband works??? And yet if he got sick and i was working he would be entitled to sickness?? Go figure.