Doctor Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Well, went to the doctor today. I was in her office for over an hour with her...which is very unlike any other doctor I have seen (in and out in 15 minutes or less). She listened to what I told her, asked questions and then listened to my responses. She told me about a teaching hospital nearby where we live that has a rhumatologist (sp?) that charges $20 per visit and after the visit they give you back the $20??? Didnt make any sense to me but she said her husband goes there.

She gave me a months worth of samples of Savella and Rozerem. On the 19th of July I go back and will have a CBC, CMP (or CMD cant read her writing), ANA, Sed Rate, and RA blood work done. I had only 6 of the 18 tender points, but she said that the way my body reacted to the pressure, that I probably had more. Something about when she pressed I didnt have extreme pain but when she released is when the pain hit. And that made it a bit different. I could still point out to you where she applied pressure several hours later because it still hurts and needless to say, I walked out of her office with a headache.

She spoke to us and explained some of the things that I could expect and also said I needed to quit smoking...YES, I know! She gave me a questionnaire on depression and once I filled it out, she said I had MAJOR depression. When I laughed and pointed out to her that I had NO thoughts of suicide or of hurting myself, she said good thing, cuz if I had, she'd have been on the phone. She was really nice and I really liked her. She is a new doctor in the clinic with my PCP. I think my PCP lost a patient and she gained a new one!! lol

Anyhow, thought I would let y'all know. She did say it looked like I had fibro, but as you all know, she wants to rule out other things at the same time.

2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I am glad that you found a good pcp that takes the time to listen to you. I have a really good doctor too and it is so nice to hear that there are more out there. Good luck with the rheumatologist. It is great that she told you about this place. And let us know how your test results turn out.
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

A good compassionate doctor makes all the difference doesnt it?

On a side note, I once went into the ER with pain and fatigue so bad I said I was ready to call "Dr. Kevorkian". They put me in mental health for a week. Be careful what you say.
  4. loto

loto Member

I'm a smoker, too.

I smoke more when I'm tired, and when I have more pain!
    That's so crazy to me.
    So, needless to say, since I've had FM for 2 years now, I've been smoking more, instead of less. I used to smoke only 1/2 pack per day, and now I'm smoking a whole pack per day.
    I want and need to cut back down, but I can't seem to make myself. Smoking really makes me feel better.