Doctor wants to try naltrexone.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

But I have to stop the Norco first....I am afraid of the increased pain and I don't know how to handle this, any advice??

2. daylight

daylight New Member

Sound like your doctor is trying to get you detoxed of the norco. This can help if you've gotten to the point of becoming addicted to it.

I'm not say that you become addicted just that this medicine is used to ween people of opioids and achol.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Yes...the low dose. I hope it doesn't take too much time to help because my pain is often very severe. Its hard to take sometimes. I am not very pain tolerant...though I have become much better through no choice of my own.

4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I guess I need to be off the Norco before he will put me on the LDN because otherwise I can feel really sick.

A new report suggests that LDN can help with FM pain....I want to try LDN because it comes with very few side effects...but I really don't want to deal with the pain in between!!

Thanks for the link:)
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Please be sure to be COMPLETELY clean of the Norco in your system before you start the Naltrexone. I was mistakenly given Naltrexone at the same time I was taking Norco (had been taking Norco daily for almost 2 yrs) and became VIOLENTLY ill within 10 minutes of taking it.

I took about 12mg and immediately went into severe withdrawals from the of the worst experiences of my life! Seriously, I was so scared, and shocked that this was what would happen if I went cold turkey off the Norco (that's basically what Naltrexone does, it covers up the receptors that the Norco normally interacts with, thus causing same symptoms as withdrawal).

Just want to let people know about this, it was so scary. My dr and 3 pharmacists all thought these meds were ok to take together in a low dose, even tho all the med info gives warnings galore. I usually do lots of research before starting a new med, but for some unknown reason, I didn't check it out before I took it. Big mistake!

I was sick for about 4-5 days, but the first day was the worst (horrible diar, vomiting, muscle spasms, shivering, thought I was going to die).

Drug rehab programs use Naltrexone for quick detox while patients are placed in an anesthetic induced sleep. I know the low dose treatment has been proven to help people, just be careful to fully detox before you take your first dose. Good luck to ya.

6. anj211

anj211 New Member

could u tell me what norco is this the right name (norco) is it a pain killer? I currently take low dose naltrexone i also take trammadol and lorazepam.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

please be off the norco 2 weeks, that is what all the low dose naltrexone sites recommend. I went on LDN after 3 days off darvon and had an awful reaction of wrenching headaches and anhedonia etc and it didnt stop for a couple weeks, I am super sensitive.
    The LDN can help with certain pains etc worth trying, but I dont know wht you should do about those 2 weeks, acupuncuture, neurotonin? that might be safe, go to the LDN sites i forget.
    I think it does more than induce w/d because the way I felt is not normal w/d for me!
    Oh, and its not just uncomfortable, the w/d, its dangerous, can induce strokes etc downthe line.
  8. maryl

maryl New Member

Debra, I went off my pain meds before starting LDN and it wasn't nearly as bad as I
    had expected. You have to do it gradually tho. I did it using just tylenol and was
    surprised how effective that was in taking the edge off of the pain. I have had fibro et al
    for about 30 years, so I'm trying to be patient with the LDN. They say it can take up to
    6 months to kick in when you've been sick so long. I think it's helping some. If you
    haven't been sick for very long, you might have a quicker response to it. There are
    several LDN websites with message boards, just google them, and they'll have more
    info. for you. And don't worry about stopping the Norco; it'll only be about a week,
    and then you can start the LDN. I hope you can get some relief!
  9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Norco is a stronger version of is an opioid pain reliever.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Does the LDN help with the deep throbbing aches? I have also read that it can help with autoimmune diseases.

It may have been an article on PH. If not, I will print it.

11. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I wanted to thank you all again for the help, I'll keep everyone posted:)