Doctor won't do HHV-6 test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Oct 24, 2002.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Does anyone know where/how to get tests for HHV-6, EBV, CMV and mycoplasmas done?

My doctor first told me to find out what tests and treatments that Harborview's Chronic Fatigue Clinic does so maybe she could get me started sooner. ( I have an appointment with them in AUGUST 2003!!!) So, I did. Those are some of the tests. She said to call her when I'm having a "bad" day so I can get the blood work done and levels would really show up. So, on Monday, I called and asked if I can come in for those tests and told her today would be a good day to get them done since I'm not feeling very well.

This morning (Thursday), the office calls and says it's a "premature request" as this is something I need to wait and have Harborview do. What???? I just don't understand her sometimes. I hate HMO's!!! Premature request? I've been sick for 5 and a half years and getting sicker by the minute, I do not think this is a "premature request!"

So if anyone has info on where I can get these tests done, costs, etc... I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Lisa
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Does anyone know where/how to get tests for HHV-6, EBV, CMV and mycoplasmas done?

My doctor first told me to find out what tests and treatments that Harborview's Chronic Fatigue Clinic does so maybe she could get me started sooner. ( I have an appointment with them in AUGUST 2003!!!) So, I did. Those are some of the tests. She said to call her when I'm having a "bad" day so I can get the blood work done and levels would really show up. So, on Monday, I called and asked if I can come in for those tests and told her today would be a good day to get them done since I'm not feeling very well.

This morning (Thursday), the office calls and says it's a "premature request" as this is something I need to wait and have Harborview do. What???? I just don't understand her sometimes. I hate HMO's!!! Premature request? I've been sick for 5 and a half years and getting sicker by the minute, I do not think this is a "premature request!"

So if anyone has info on where I can get these tests done, costs, etc... I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Lisa
  3. pamj

pamj New Member

I had trouble too with my HMO primary care doc, so after being sick for 4 months, I found a great holistic doctor who understood a lot about CFS. Even though I had to pay out of pocket to see her, she was extremely thorough in her testing. She would rule out a couple of things at a time, and try to keep the costs low for me. She was in California, but the holistic doc that I see now in Massachusetts is also terrific.

I don't understand why the HMO docs won't order more tests, when we still have symptoms of being very sick. What are they afraid of? Don't they want to know the answers too?

If you haven't tried a holistic/complementary medicine doc yet, I would try looking for one. It may be worth a few hundred dollars to get some answers. Have you checked out the "Good Doctor" list on this site? That's where I found my CA doc. If not, check with a support group in your area. That's how I found my Massachusetts doc, from the Mass CFIDS organization.

Take care,
    Pam
  4. mlw

mlw New Member

Lisa: Did you know that HMOs and doctors under HMOs are paid a kickback for not running additional tests on patients. It is unbelievable!!!! Do not go a an HMO doctor they are worthless. You have to go out of the network to a reliable doctor who will run all sorts of tests for (EBV, CMV, mono, HHV - herpes) etc. Dump the doctor!!

MLW
  5. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I thought they just got scolded and maybe a slap on the wrist for trying to help the patient too much with additional testing and stuff, didn't know they actually got paid for it.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to HMO's and insurance policies. Do you know if Blue Cross is an HMO too? I live in Washington and am on Community Health, that is my only other option for insurance plans. I'll be checking into that today though, thanks.

[ advertisement ]