Doctors and allergy tests around Ottawa, VEGA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Aug 17, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

Jeanne-in-Canada, I was browsing through some past posts and found one where you indicated that you knew of a doctor and an allergist in Ottawa. Would you mind sharing that information? I am seeing a naturopath but really need a new M.D. and allergist.

I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thank you.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  2. happygranny

happygranny Member

Bumping for Pepper
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

She's right near the Andrew Hayden marina. I've known her since she moved from States and set up shop, so we got to know each other on a personal level too. She also has MCS, and was once life threatening disabled.

Her allergists and testing and serum methods have helped me sooooo so so much, it's very different from convental allergists. She runs a clinic similar to FFC's in States, w/ IV's and the works.

I think she takes new patients, but the waiting list I've heard can be a year or more. Not sure, but worth waiting for.
    721-9800

There is a walkin clinic in Bell's Corners w/ a new american doc still taking new patients. A male friend w/ chronic pain just started w/ him, and is impressed so far. The doc isn't afraid to treat pain w/ narcs.

Jeanne
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been on Dr. Armstrong's waiting list for well over a year. I am going to call again and see if I can do some prodding. I am glad to hear more good things about her.

I will also check into the doctor in Bells Corners. I live in Nepean so that would be very handy.

I would really love to get in to see Dr. Armstrong so I will follow that up tomorrow.

Thank you for this information. :)
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

He was first I saw 10 yrs ago, and dx'd me and promptly got me on disability (my first time on it), it was his idea too, if you can believe it never occured to me. It ws more his order actually, he's like that. Not as good, but you can check. He has VEGA machine method of testing, very quick, non invasive and he gave me a discount back then for $50. Tested tons of things quick, though it's very diffrent than Jen's method and the serums aren't as personalized or as effective.

But, it got me started, had no idea I had food allergies, but his method quickly dx'd a bunch and it helped so much to know what to avoid.

You can try Jen's office again, the allergists xtension is 103. Maybe if you explain how long you are waiting, they will let you start allergy testing.

She's been on vacation and having a very rough ride herself. She made her dream chemical free home and got dangerous mould problems in the kitchen. Made her quite sick, and she actually had pain for first time, so she's even had to cut down hours of practice a bit. Her and (very supportive husband) tried 5 hotels and her allergies kept her on the move (I been ousted by chemicals so many times). She's still trying to get her home fixed so she's not a nomad.

There you have it, doctors have struggles too.

Jeanne
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Believe it or not I saw Dr. Michaelson about 10 yrs ago myself. I had the VEGA testing done and I tested allergic to almost everything on his list including garlic. The woman who was doing the testing for him told me that she had never seen anyone test allergic to garlic before. That discouraged me and I never followed up with the diet.

I did continue to see him for a few years for IV vitamin and glutathione therapy but I never did feel any better. It was a lot of money with no results that I could see or feel. But lately I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to start again since I have such a hard time absorbing nutrients.

The last time I saw Dr. C he did tell me that Dr. Michaelson's VEGA machine seems to give a more accurate picture than others and I should dig out the results. I wonder what one does when one tests allergic to almost everything. Four-day rotation diet? Oh dear. But maybe that is what I have to do.

I think I would like to see Dr. Armstrong for a different approach.

Thank you for the information.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

I thought I'd suggest a title change, since there are at least a half dozen of us around Ottawa, and more that could get here. Mybe something like, ??? doctors and allergy testing around Ottawa??

So you are getting to be a veterin of this stuff. I was also surprised at the accuracy of the VEGA method. It may be worth your while to get it again, 10 years is a long time, and VEGA is so much cheaper than Jen's method at $35/hr. And her method is invasive and exhausting, because you have to feel everything she tests for. It's very specific for that reason, because then you know exactly which allergen is causing what symptom. I get a discount at $15/hr because I'm on disability.

I was just retested at Jen's and it helped alot to have my serums upgraded. I'm much better for pollens, one of my symptoms was depression, and that is no longer there. I"m worse for moulds, because of this temp. musty basement we are in since spring. I got phenol serum for first time, which help w/ pain, esp. after I've been shopping. I get my sublingual progesterone there too. And these other great drops called acetylehyde/quercitin that are invaluable for yeast die off symtoms and acute chemical sensitivity attacks.

As I remember the VEGA method and the write up they give you on your results, the results are rated for severity of reaction. So you just avoid the foods w/ the worst reaction for awhile, and stagger the ones w/ mild reaction. I can give you more detail after on how I got over my food sensitivies after VEGA. Every one on my list is gone or only comes back a bit if I really misbehave w/ out of control holiday eating for too long. It's easy to knock them down again now, I'm pretty happy w/ that.

Jeanne
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

My naturopath did this testing in the spring. My results weren't anything like they were when I had them done in Dr. Michaelson's office. I figured that time had changed everything but Dr. C thinks that Dr. Michaelson's tests are just more accurate although you are right that they probably should be re-done.

Out of curiosity, how long do Jen's tests take? How do they work? I have been on disability for 11 yrs so perhaps I would get a discount too?

Do I understand correctly that the serums you get are for allergy shots?

Okay, I give up. How did you get over your allergies after VEGA testing? Did you go for NAET? I have looked into that but it seems to be very expensive and time-consuming. I have the time but not the energy to go to all the appointments. And until my husband finds a job, we don't have the cash available.

I would love to know how you solved your allergy problems, Jeanne!

Thanks for all your help.
    Pepper

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  9. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Hi pepper,
    I go to the Bells Corners Medical Group on Richmond Road, just a little down from East Side Mario's (it's actually on the other side of the road, in the building behind Harvey's)

I have THE most wonderful doctor. I'm not sure if she's taking new patients. Her name is Dr. Regimbal. The other doctors at that clinic are also great....give it a try! Here's the phone number: 596-0911

Good luck, pepper! Cheers, nature
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I will do that.

Pepper
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Your naturopath sounds very humble to admit Michaelson's VEGA is better than hers, good on her.

I know Ralph pushes it hard, and some claim it helped them. I'm dubious of anything taht claims that if it doesn't work you didn't have enough faith in it, or emotional blockages, hmm. I did enzyme therapy, and didn't need faith or therapy w/ it. I'll give you more details when I'm not so baked. I'm too sensitive to go to a bunch of appts.

Jen has EPD, but I opted out. She wanted me to do it for food allergies, but my method was working fine. Her last allergist said it can make some worse, though as w/ NAET, some say it is a Godsend. Jen admits that EPD is too risky w/ someone very chemically sensitive, and to use it for chemical allergies could have made me worse. It must be a bit similar to NAET, in that you have to absolutely avoid allergens for a day or more before and after. Impossible for me.

She was very happy w/ my progress when I saw her a mth ago. Even though I dont cycle and have remissions anymore, but daily pain now, the pain is much less severeand shortlived, I'm still much better overall and less sensitive. It was my own education that got me there though, as I hadn't seen her in 2 years.

Jeanne
  12. pepper

pepper New Member

I am looking forward to reading your experience on getting rid of allergies when you are feeling up to it.

I am not familiar with EPD. What do the letters stand for?

Thank you.
    Pepper
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Pepper,
    I'll get to the enzyme therapy that got rid of my food sensitivities and knocked down the MCS a fair bit too. I'm having my first painkiller free day this mth though, so laying low. At 11:30 pm, I'm rather fighting it atm though.

Jeanne
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

15. pepper

pepper New Member

I will be looking for that post when you are up to it.

Pepper
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

W/ my new Prohealth stuff it's giving me quite a kick in the immune system. I take the Cellular Support (mult/w/mins + 15 antioxidants, liver cleansers), that alone was giving me a jolt starting at half a pill, I'm up to 2 pills/day now. I'm also taking Olive Leaf and ALA, but can only manage 1 each/day. An d even then, every so many days, I have to go off for a day or two, and just use Cell Support to get my energy back.

Took my break yesterday, and set my energy to laundry and cooking today. Maybe I can dig it up, I've posted it in another thread too.

Jeanne
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

from me (when I had much more energy) and others. It's called: PLEASE HELP ME.....These daily SORE THROATS are unbearable !!! posted by FRANCY54.

Follow tips to heal digestion, enzymes, aloe juice. Control Candida if you have a problem, and lots of gentle herbal support. In another thread we discussed dandelion and catnip as two of your best bets. You'd also quite like fresh ginger root tea, w/ a wedge of lemon (and optional honey, which I don't use). Ginger is very healing to the gut and a good antinauseant.

Avoid your worst food allergens. If you have lesser food sensitivities that give hit or miss symptoms, eat them occasionally. Don't eat the same foods every day, find new ones to put in your diet, the more the better. The 4 day rotation diets, I'm sure you're familiar w/ cause env. docs love to inflict them on us, drive me batty, so I dont' follow anything regimented. Eventually, you can tentatively introduce a big baddy allergy and see if you tolerate. If your gut is healed and you use digestive enzymes, eventually you'll be able to.

My biggest baddies were wheat, dairy, corn. If I overdo, I can get a bit sensitive again. But I have to go really nutso w/ holiday eating to get that way. I just go back on enzymes and aloe and it only takes a few weeks now.

jeanne
  18. pepper

pepper New Member

I am sorry that you have been feeling so poorly. You are really taking a lot of stuff!

I will check out that thread and see what I can work out with the allergies.

Thanks for taking the time and energy to post when I am sure you didn't feel like it. I appreciate that.

Take care of yourself.

Pepper
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

analysis. Many have been interested in this lately. I know a great Master Herbalist in Pembroke that does it. I met him 8 yrs back, he has a health store adn does private consults too. Me and several friends are making a pilgrimage in Sept. probably. My family is mostly in Pembie anyway and I'm due.

I'll geive details later.

Jeanne