Doctor's Appointment tomorrow opinions needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cressida, Apr 27, 2006.

1. cressida

cressida New Member

I'm going for an appointment with my psych tomorrow and he always suggests new drugs for me to try, but of course nothing has worked very well with the exception of Elavil, but that's a temporary fix. I feel a lot like a guinea pig.

I know people respond differently to drugs, but I'd love to think there would be something out there that would be more likely to help, than not.

I am depressed, but I think it's because of FM and not the other way around.

If you have a suggestion of something you've tried that has helped you a lot, with not TOO MANY side effects or withdrawl problems, I'd love to hear them. I know it's probably wishful thinking that there could be something, but I need to see this doc because he is responsible for my DI and I have to be trying something in the pharmaceutial line!

Thanks
  2. Musica

Musica New Member

Anti depressant? Something to help you sleep? Amitriptyline is supposed to be good for both. Why is Elavil (is that amitrip?) only a temporary fix?
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Elavil has worked very well for my DP; however, she also took Effexor in the AMs...

It perked her up in daytime and helped her do many of the things she wanted to do...

There is a Dr. I. Jon Russell at the Univ. of TX who put everyone on Elavil if they had FM...he's a rheumy...but he cautioned somewhere that patients should go off of it once in a while because the red blood cells are affected by it some way...maybe your psych. knows or can find out.

If you can take Elavil, a tri-cyclic, maybe you can ask for Effexor for the daytime.

Have you ever thought of looking into Stormyskye's "shake"? Look it up on this site...think you might like it.

Best to you.....
    findmind
  4. sop28

sop28 New Member

I have been on quite a few AD's that didn't work or I had side effects. Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Serzone, I'm sure I'm forgeting some. I thought I was going to die when I was put on effexor (chest pain, palpitations, tremors, etc..). The doctor wanted me to wait it out because he said that the side effects sometimes go away after you get regulated on it. They did and it worked great.

Then he switched me to Cymbalta because he thought that it would help more for the pain. I haven't really had any side effects from it and it has helped for both the pain and depression.

I definetly know what you mean as far as feeling like a guinea pig. Maybe you should remind your psychiatrist that you are sensitive to meds and to start you on a VERY low dose and to increase the dose VERY slowly.

Hope things turn out okay and that you find the med that works for you. I know it can be very trying and that sometimes you feel like nothing will work. Don't give up!

[ advertisement ]