doctors fees

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cin, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Cin

Cin New Member

I just wanted to start by saying that although this is my first posting, I have been reading what all of you post for a while. Your ideas and inspiration have been more help to me than you could possibly know.

My question is about fees for doctors. My doctor is great as far as the dd is concerned, knowledgeable and understanding, but I had to have a paper filled out from him about disability. He took it and said "No problem, it will be done by your next visit." Then, yesterday, his nurse called me and said that it would cost $50 plus the cost of the regualr visit when I go back. Is this normal? This sounds like an awful lot of money to me.

Thanks all,
    Cindi[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2002]
  2. Cin

Cin New Member

I just wanted to start by saying that although this is my first posting, I have been reading what all of you post for a while. Your ideas and inspiration have been more help to me than you could possibly know.

My question is about fees for doctors. My doctor is great as far as the dd is concerned, knowledgeable and understanding, but I had to have a paper filled out from him about disability. He took it and said "No problem, it will be done by your next visit." Then, yesterday, his nurse called me and said that it would cost $50 plus the cost of the regualr visit when I go back. Is this normal? This sounds like an awful lot of money to me.

Thanks all,
    Cindi[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2002]
  3. jaysie99

jaysie99 New Member

Just as doctors can charge you for copies of your records, they can charge for completing forms. I don't know if the amount of $50 is too high but I once paid $45 when all he did was sign his name. I already had the form filled out myself. I never knew that doctor to do anything else unethical or greedy so I assumed that it was just part of the challenge of being a "chronic patient". Seems it is always something. Completing the forms does take some of their time and that is what they charge for. Just look at how much they charge for the few minutes a month that they spend with us. It is hard to find a good doctor, as I am sure you know, so I would just consider the charge a part of his office procedure and accept it.

Take Good Care

Jaysie
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

$50 is a VERY reasonable fee for disability paperwork. I live in the Boston area, and my docs each charged around $200 to submit a report to my disability insurance.

One of my docs did my first form during an office visit, but she only had to fill in some blanks & sign. She charged $195 the next time I needed a report with more info (but she wrote a 7-page letter that would be tough for anyone to disagree with!!).

Hopefully you will have enough information for your disability to make a decision. It is very frustrating to have to pay all of these fees just to try to get the benefits that we deserve. It's not the docs fault, it's the disability people who hope we'll give up & then they won't have to pay us.

Good luck!!
    Pam