Doctor's Letter Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

Hello everyone. I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I wrote another letter to my rheumy explaining my displeasure with his refusal to provide a letter that verified my having fibro.

I took my second letter to the office yesterday morning, but no one called me to confirm that they had received the letter. I called the office this morning and the nurse I spoke to last week returned my call. She told me, "I was afraid to call you back because I didn't know what you wanted... You mis-represented what I said."

(Funny side thought...when I asked the receptionist if they had received the letter she told me, "Oh yes we did".)

Okay, this woman told me that my doctor didn't want to "get involved in a disability claim" and instead of a letter from the doctor, I could "print out information on fibromyaglia from the Arthritis Foundation's website," and I'm not supposed to be offended?!?!?!?! I don't know of anyone in the world who wouldn't be insulted by those statements from their doctor's nurse. I even told the nurse that I had already provided my supervisor with information about fibromyalgia and that she still had a problem with granting my request. Even after that, she still told me that the doctor didn't want to "get involved."

I put all the information the nurse told me in my second letter. I'm assuming she got chewed out, otherwise she wouldn't have had the gall to call me a liar. I also didn't appreciate her insinuating that I'm some crazed, violent woman. I thought about calling her on what she said, but I decided that it wasn't worth my time or my precious energy. She was just mad because I repeated, in writing, what she said. Maybe she'll think twice about talking to another patient the way she spoke to me.

The point of all this...the doctor sent the notes ALONG WITH a letter. I may have gotten what I wanted and needed. We'll see what the letter says and whether the information in it will suffice for my bosses. By the way, I'm still dumping him as a rheumy.

I also want to include this: having this illness means you have to pick and choose your battles. But just because you're sick doesn't mean you have to take people treating you like crap. You have to deal with that enough from the fibro. Don't ever allow anyone to take away your dignity! You have to take care of you and your health, sometimes that means not being nice and rocking the boat. As one of my friends used to tell me, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2003]
  2. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

I am glad you had the strength to come through and keep persisiting. Good for you!!!

Namaste
    Lisa
  3. nldelaine

nldelaine New Member

Hi Newswoman,

I commend you. I wish I had gotton the same reaction, my doctor fired me!!!!!

The Dr. who diagnosed me and perscribed amitriptyline refuses to do a follow up. The dosage of amitrippptyline did nothing 10mgs and I have upped the dosage myself now. Being in recovery, I don't like to do that but I am desperate. He will also not perscribe anything for the pain (because he said he doesn't do follow ups)and I am so frustrated and angry I just cry or scream at everyone.

I was so tired and so much in pain yesterday, I screamed at my 89 year old mother.

I wish I knew what to do or where to go..

Elaine
  4. marymmm

marymmm New Member

I work for WCBS-TV in New York. We're doing a story on doctors firing/dropping their patients. If this happened to you, please send me an email. Thank you for your time, mmmcgeever@cbs.com