Doctors, movie stars, etc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jigglinjello, Sep 18, 2002.

1. jigglinjello

jigglinjello New Member

It seems lately that so many people have either CFS or FM. My doctor says he sees more and more people every month that have it. I've got both chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Last spring my son was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Last week even the lady taking my online phone order said she has FM. Everywhere I turn, I meet someone who is affected by this horrible illness. EXCEPT.....I never hear of any doctors, or movie stars that are severely aflicted.

Every once in a while I may come across a web site where a doctor claims that he has CFS or FM and if you pay 29.99 he will tell you the cure. But hey.....I'm not going to fall for that one.

And if there were more movie stars or medical professionals that came forward it would bring to the forfront some validation to how we suffer. I was wondering if maybe the hollywood celebs don't advertise they have it because they have gone through the same humiliation that we all have. After all no one wants to admit that some hidden illness has a hold on them that they are not able to control or to fix.
    I hear about movie stars that go to rehab for prescription pill addiction, but I never hear about why they got started on the pills. Was it for pain? Who knows. As long as everyone keeps silent, will this ever end. I sing praises for Michael J. Fox for his bravery.

It has been something that has been on my mind a lot. I do about 2 hours of online research per day, and that really drains me.
    I appreciate any replies or thoughts on the matter.
    JJ
  2. jigglinjello

jigglinjello New Member

It seems lately that so many people have either CFS or FM. My doctor says he sees more and more people every month that have it. I've got both chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Last spring my son was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Last week even the lady taking my online phone order said she has FM. Everywhere I turn, I meet someone who is affected by this horrible illness. EXCEPT.....I never hear of any doctors, or movie stars that are severely aflicted.

Every once in a while I may come across a web site where a doctor claims that he has CFS or FM and if you pay 29.99 he will tell you the cure. But hey.....I'm not going to fall for that one.

And if there were more movie stars or medical professionals that came forward it would bring to the forfront some validation to how we suffer. I was wondering if maybe the hollywood celebs don't advertise they have it because they have gone through the same humiliation that we all have. After all no one wants to admit that some hidden illness has a hold on them that they are not able to control or to fix.
    I hear about movie stars that go to rehab for prescription pill addiction, but I never hear about why they got started on the pills. Was it for pain? Who knows. As long as everyone keeps silent, will this ever end. I sing praises for Michael J. Fox for his bravery.

It has been something that has been on my mind a lot. I do about 2 hours of online research per day, and that really drains me.
    I appreciate any replies or thoughts on the matter.
    JJ
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I think that if stars have it, they wouldn't want anyone to know, as they might be afraid that they wouldn't get work. The casting people might feel that they wouldn't be able to keep up with the time frame scheduled to shoot a show/movie and it may add to their insurance policy on the actors on the show/movie if it were to come out. It's got to be tough to not be able to speak to anyone about it. I feel sorry for whoever it might be. Cher has admitted publicly that she has CFS. That's the only one that I know of. dolsgirl
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

They say she has it under control. FMS.
    Forgot the film remember me she the actor she produced the film has I think its CFS.
    Take care, Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2002]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dr. Mark Pelligrino, writer of many books on FMS, has had it since childhood. And, or course, Dr. Devin Starlanyl, author of the most comprehensive book on FMS, had to close her practice because hers got so bad. So, there's two doctors.
    Now for two celebrities.
    The producer Blake Edwards (Julie Andrews hubby) admits having CFSm and has put on many charity events to raise money for research on it.
    Singer Stevie Nicks admits she spent most of 2 yrs. in bed with CFS, but claims to be recovered. Cher also claims recovery.
    I don't know why we get so little publicity...I think it is partly fear. Seeing relatively young, healthy looking people who are so very ill, reminds people that it could be them it is happening to, and that makes them uncomfortable.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2002]
  6. dojomo

dojomo New Member

People....esp stars ..are afraid of losing there jobs....or not being able to find insurance for their projects. Producers don't like unreliable stars..it costs money and it costs alot to insure a movie or TV project....Time is money in hollywood....They depend on attendence.
    If a famous person admitted to having this illness...they would be out of work !!!!......
    That is why Montel and MJ Fox were hesitant to "come out". Any star whose work becomes uninsurable...is out of work. It happens to drug dependent stars all the time......And admitting this illness is a Death sentence as far as financing a project....Especially a TV show...Montel was brave.....DJ