Doctors Office and Hospitals VENT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, May 5, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

First, I called my doc's office to ask if she can give me my prescrip for my thyroid med this week instead of making me wait until my appointment at the end of the month cause my Hashimoto's is seriously acting up on me. She already saw it in the bloodwork and said she would give me a prescrip when I come in. But they won't let me come any sooner than three weeks from now, claiming she's all booked up. So I explained this to the secretary. I get done explaining it all, first thing she asks me is, are you a patient here? Um, duh, I just told you I'm a patient of the doctor. Next question she asks me, have you been seen here before? Ummmmm, what did I just tell you? YES and she ran bloodwork on me and saw I have a problem. It's like she's making me repeat everything all over again. So then, I ask her if they got the results back from my thyroid sonogram yet. So she asks me, did this office order that? Grrrrrrr, so at this point, I'm getting annoyed. Yes, you ordered it. Oh, well, we have to pick that up. UGH, I did it over a week ago. So finally, she tells me someone will call me back about the prescrip and the test results. So, waiting on that. Last time, it took them over a day to call me back.

So then, I got a huge surprise in the mail of a thousand dollar hospital bill from my ER visit. The hospital didn't bill my insurance! So I called them up. They said they didn't have any insurance down for me. SCREAM! I brought the card in with me and it was scanned right in front of me. So, she said she will correct that. We'll see. I'm only supposed to have a fifty dollar copay for ER visits. There's a huge difference between fifty dollars and a thousand dollars.

I hate dealing with hospitals and doctor's secretaries. Just needed to vent today.

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]
  2. outofstep

outofstep Member

I've noticed that many front desk workers in drs' offices have this control thing going on-it's really sick and pathetic. There is one at my pcp's and I dread getting her b/c she always makes everything impossible. The 2 other ones at that office are fine-it's just this one-but I have dealt with the same kind of person in way too many offices.

It's really unfair that we are so sick and befuddled yet have to deal w/ the most messed up, inept industry in the country. They cause so much additional stress yet we can't get away from them.
  3. spacee

spacee Member

Mine hasn't been as bad as yours (in a while) but it is beyond annoying. I have been going through "intense" times with my doc since Dec. I think it has finally calmed down. Such a relief.

4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yes, they do have some horrible control complex going on. I absolutely hate the way this doc's office is run. My old doc, they'd take me in within a few days or a week if I needed to be seen. This one, they keep insisting they are all booked up no matter how sick you tell them you are. You have to beg for an appointment. I guess they get off on the begging. I really can't stand the secretaries at this place. The rest of the staff seemed okay and I liked my doc, but the people who answer the phone there are awful.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I think if we could just talk to the doctor on the phone all would go so much smoother.

I've gone through this numerous times with my doctors nurse, just thinking if they had to live
    one day in our shoes they would be more compassionate and thoughtful.

I still want to get some med that I can use for my breakthrough pain but guess I will try to wait till my appt in early June. I have been in a bad flare since Mid March and with only a few days that I could say were sort of "okay" .

I tried calling the nurse 2 weeks into the flare and she just wanted to me to try to use the pain meds I have and didn't even try to listen to what I was saying. I'm thinking she didn't even talk to the doctor. grrrr She said if that doesn't work call us back. Okay why should I do that.

Sorry I started rambling. I hope the nurse call's you back and you have a better
    conversation with her.

Let us know how it goes.

very gentle hugs coming your way and prayers, Susan

Hope the rest of your day goes better. :)

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

I agree and I was one! Its so different from when I worked. I would have been fired for the things that go on now.

I have been on the waiting list for 15 months for a fibro clinic. They've lost my name twice and all I get is the run around when I call. Yesterday they were supposed to call me (from last week runaround) no phone call yet.

In fairness the docs need to take some of the heat. Understaffed and over worked front desks. to little training.
  7. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Unfortunately the front office employees are usually the least educated and the poorest payed. Frequently the physician is unaware of these interactions. The best way to deal with this type of office is to ask to have the doctor call you at the end of the day. This usually prompts a more successful outcome form the office staff. Yesterday one of my patients who I sent to her own doctor to be cleared for surgery got a call back saying she needed to be seen again by her physician. One of her lab test was abnormal. The office staff claimed she couldn't be seen before surgery because of her doctors busy schedule and would have to cancel her surgery. My staff called the doctors office and requested he speak to me now or call me back at the end of the day. Five minutes later his front office called us back with a more appropriate appointment before her surgery date. I realize because I am a physician the response may be different, but certainly worth a try.

8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I got a call back, however, the nurse on the phone said she was only calling to give my sonogram results. She had no knowledge of my having asked for my prescrip! Apparently, the receptionist I spoke with didn't bother to tell her. So I definitely asked again. And now I'm waiting for them to call me back again and let me know if she's calling a prescrip in to the pharmacy for me.

So far, my thyroid sonogram seemed to be okay, as in free of anything cancerous looking. So that is excellent news. Now if they would just give me my prescrip, maybe it would help to get the goiter swelling down.
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

so glad to hear that your thyroid sonogram seemed to be okay. :)

Hoping you get the prescription!

Gentle hugs, Susan
  10. outofstep

outofstep Member

In case you have trouble with them again-the last time the front desk gave me a hard time & didn't relay a message correctly I threatened to send my dr. a fax-that got their attention.
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

She's giving me Armor :D I am so happy. It's too late for me to pick it up tonight, but I can go to the pharmacy in the morning. I need to pickup some things at the store anyway. Finally, I'll be getting some real help for the Hashimoto's :D
  12. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

That's great news! yea! :)

13. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Sounds like you've had a hectic day.

Yes there's definately a difference between $50 and $1,ooo, big difference.
    You'll probably need to vent again when you read my post on the Disability Board.
    2 year cost of living Freeze.ouch!!

wish you well