Doctors Say I'm a Hard Case

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

This came up in another thread:
    I hate when doctors tell me I'm a hard case. Do they do that to all of us? They always try to make me feel like I'm the ONLY patient they've ever had that they couldn't help and that refused meds because of my reactions to them. How many others here are treated this way?

2. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Tee,

I am told the exact same thing...the docs don't even try - so of course it's hard.

Also they say to me "You are a complicated patient and unrewarding to treat, because you don't get better." That hurts too.

Mostly they never even try from the beginning - I have to beg for any blood work, they never do an exam and even if they find something non-normal - they just say they have no idea...

It is as if I am boring - a big yawn - especially my two year fever. YAWN It's unreal.

And pain issues forget it - they just pretend they don't hear you - no gameplan, no ideas, no help, no nothing - it's unreal. No ideas - why?

I always say "what's my next step?" or "what would you do next if you were me?" or "how should I proceed now?" etc etc. They just look at me dumbfounded.

I feel if they don't have any idea of their own then they should gladly let me manage and direct my care - for example let me suggest blood work - can't hurt - right? But no on that too...

Yes, this is a valuable topic one that hits a big nerve with me. It really hurts being a patient when the docs place blame on you - instead of being accountable for directing your care.

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2009]
  3. soulight

soulight New Member

You know , sometimes when a doctor says that to me I think " in other words , you are not up to challenges as a doctor" That tells me right away that this doctor is probably not for me. If they are not willing to do some research on my behalf and really try , then they are not serving me correctly . After all , they are supposed to be providing us with a service and if they aren't , then I say go to someone who will !

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I guess I am one of the few fortunate ones, i have a wonderful "conventional" "woman" doctor who is passionate, caring, intelligent and most of all will do anything to help me. We finally have a system that works for me and she never gave up on me until we found a system (of course not a cure) that works for me.

I will pray for you Tee that you can find a doctor that will be as passionate as mine is.

Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2009]
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Actually, I do have a couple of good docs now but it took many years to find them. I've just seen so many who say what a hard case I am and when Butterfly I think it was, mentioned that in another thread I wanted to see how many people are made to feel like they're the only CFS or FMS patient their doctor sees.

I do feel like I'm the only CFS patient my doctor sees and I know that my Rheumy sees lots of people with FMS but I think I'm the only patient he sees who also suffers from severe CFS. He always gets the strangest look when he suggests pain meds, which he does every visit and I tell him I can't handle them at all due to CFS.

He also doesn't really understand how much pain I'm in a lot of the time but other than that he's good.

My doctor didn't believe that my weight gain is not my fault though and that feels horrible. I always wondered what that would feel like, I thought it wouldn't bother me but now that it's happened to me I find it really does.

What a crazy world we live in. When are the docs going to get it?? It's 2009 and we've had the Web for over a decade.

6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

tee....i was wondering (dont kill me)..if you have considered foscarnet. people who do that are in remission for a few years....but i guess it would be better to wait for ampligen approval since you are in the states.

elisa..they actually said you were an "unrewarding patient"?!!!! W T F

7. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Tee & Sue,

Yes some of the comments from docs are pretty unkind...

Thanks for your support Sue!

Tee - so sorry things have been so hard - my heart breaks that so many of us have to suffer so much. I pray for help for you, Tee, and Sue!!!!

God Bless,

8. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

When your drs say you are a "Hard Case," do they also roll their eyes and either grimace or smirk?

We just might be related, :> ).

p.s. The phrases my current dr uses are "You are a very frustrating patient" or You react badly to nearly everything I try on you." I wish he could see how "frustrated" looks from MY side of the desk.
    I also wish he would stop going "off label" WITH FDA'S APPROVAL and prescribing stuff for me that was formulated for people with diabetes and epilepsy, for instance, of which I have neither.
  9. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Your only hope is to get a hard head! Try demanding your drs look for things they don't even want to consider...rNaseL, immune system problems, CD4 to CD8 ratios, stuff you read others here have had.

Ask for a referral to an infectious disease dr.

Do you have ME. and/or FM?

I plan on being in the ME chat room on Fri., 7 p.m. Central, to be there for teabisqit, who really needs us right now.

Maybe you can join us?

Hugs a many,
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'll try to be there in the Chat Room. I never know from one min. to the next what I can or can't do though.

Elisabeth- thank you so much for your prayers. They mean a lot to me and I send prayers out for you too. :)

I really appreciate all your replies. I'm not interested in taking any meds as I can't handle them but I follow what's happening with others online who are as I'm very interested in seeing what's helping people.

Big hugs to Everyone,