Doctor's visit, switched all my meds.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Dec 14, 2002.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Well, went to the doc yesterday and told her I wanted to change up all my meds since they weren't helping and to treat my symptoms, I'm sick of looking for a cure.

She asked what was concluded from my internist visit and I told her that basically I think I know too much about the illness and, well, I haven't found a doctor who knows as much and understands why I want certain tests done. So until then, I'll wait till my August appt and let's go through all these symptoms again.

So, for mild depression and energy: 5mg. Prozac
    for nausea: 10 mg. compazine as needed
    for acid symptoms in tummy lately: 20mg. famotidine
    for pain: 100mg. Ultram 3-4 times day as needed
    for more pain: 10/500 Lortab as needed
    for sleep: 25mg. trazodone

I think that's it. Wondering if anyone has tried the Prozac/Trazodone combo and how it works. Both are pretty low doses.

Also, before I go looking it up, do you think 25mg. of trazodone is something I need to take EVERY night? I believe it's like Elavil but in a weird class of anti-depressants. Used as an anti-depressant/anti-psychotic in high doses and sleep aid in lower ones. Is it OK to miss one if I don't need it you think? Haven't started on all this yet because the pharmacy gave me 10mg. Prozac capsules. I was supposed to split them in half, I think my doctor thought it was in pill form. Don't think I can tolerate 10mg. either because I'm so sensitive to it.

~LISA
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Well, went to the doc yesterday and told her I wanted to change up all my meds since they weren't helping and to treat my symptoms, I'm sick of looking for a cure.

She asked what was concluded from my internist visit and I told her that basically I think I know too much about the illness and, well, I haven't found a doctor who knows as much and understands why I want certain tests done. So until then, I'll wait till my August appt and let's go through all these symptoms again.

So, for mild depression and energy: 5mg. Prozac
    for nausea: 10 mg. compazine as needed
    for acid symptoms in tummy lately: 20mg. famotidine
    for pain: 100mg. Ultram 3-4 times day as needed
    for more pain: 10/500 Lortab as needed
    for sleep: 25mg. trazodone

I think that's it. Wondering if anyone has tried the Prozac/Trazodone combo and how it works. Both are pretty low doses.

Also, before I go looking it up, do you think 25mg. of trazodone is something I need to take EVERY night? I believe it's like Elavil but in a weird class of anti-depressants. Used as an anti-depressant/anti-psychotic in high doses and sleep aid in lower ones. Is it OK to miss one if I don't need it you think? Haven't started on all this yet because the pharmacy gave me 10mg. Prozac capsules. I was supposed to split them in half, I think my doctor thought it was in pill form. Don't think I can tolerate 10mg. either because I'm so sensitive to it.

~LISA
  3. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Lisa:
    You have alot of courage, or a very good doctor who listens, to change all your meds for you. Way to go!
    As far as trazadone/prozac, I've taken them together for a short time and it was okay. BUT, I didn't stay on the sleep med as it made me way too drowsy and out of it! I took 10 mg Prozac and I thought that was a low dose.
    I bet you could get away with not taking the trazadone every night, only when needed, if you wanted to. After all you are in control of your symptoms; however, the docs put us on this sleep med to get it into our systems to help us sleep all the time. So, I guess it is a judgement call. I always regulate my meds, probably shouldn't, but I'm a retired RN and we are the worst on following the doctors instructions!! Right, RN's????
    I take a natural herbal sleep med called Dr's Restaid with valerian, hops, and passion flower. I take 2 one hour before I want to sleep, and I sleep without any problem and wake up the next day without that hung-over feeling that comes with prescription meds(for me that is). I t has worked wonders for my sleeping habits. I don't take it every day, just when I need it.
    Hope all this helps you in some way. Just wanted to let you know what I've tried and what works/doesn't work.
    Good Luck.
    northwoodssue
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Trazadone is often used to helping maintain sleep. I take 100 mg a night, every night. My sleep is too iffy. A couple of times I've missed one of my many nighttime meds, by accident and my sleep was really messed up. I'd be waking up off and on all night.

I take Zoloft in the AM and Trazadone at night and have no problems. Trazadone was originally prescribed to me by a psychiatrist, so the combo should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Barbara
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I take 100 mg. of Trazadone every night. I'm afraid that if I don't I won't get to sleep. I've been taking it for a few years now and don't get any side effects. I don't know if it's something you need to take constantly to build up in your system. I would talk to your Pharmacist and ask them.

Annette2
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

I also take 100mg of Trazadone every night and 30 - 40mg Celexa during the day. Trazadone, if it helps, is the best for getting a good night's sleep. Hope, it helps - Lucky
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Way to be your own advocate! For some reason---that's what is most often needed. I don't understand how those in a service industry---stay in business when they offer no service, lol.
    Best wishes,
    Karen