Does a change in the weather bother you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, May 15, 2003.

1. achy

achy New Member

I live in NW fla and for the past two weeks or so the weather has been changing constanly.
    Hot humid one day...Cool/low humidity the next few days...then rain for a couple days.

I am absolutely miserable! Totally exhausted, have to push myself to do anything. Walkin takes too much effort.
    And I just ache all over...no too severe, but unrelenting.
    Ultram does nothing, a percocet adds to the exhaustion and knocks the rest of me out. I feel like I am totally worthless when I get like this.

I am sure this happends to others...How do you cope??

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, am bothered more with my FM with certain types of weather. I live in Michigan where the weather is very changeable. The worse days for me are cold and damp or hot and humid (which is a lot of the year!). I'm not sure what to do about it for others or myself since I work and must go out most days of the week. We are getting central air next week so that will help with the hot and humid-I can take refuge in the house. When I am home and it's cold and damp out, I wrap myself in a comforter, which feels really good.

Ellen
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

It's getting ready to rain here in TN, as it has off and on all Spring. My pain doubles and fatigue triples as I watch the barometric pressure go up and down, up and down. We have had one of the rainiest seasons I can remember. It seems like the world's weather patterns are crazier than they've ever been! And I have yet to find anything that helps. I cope by long baths w/ epsom and doing about nothing. Not what I would really call coping. My kids get very cranky and don't sleep well either, during these times.

My Mom is thinking of moving to Florida ... for this very reason. She seems to think that living on a warm coast (as in right on or near the ocean/gulf) would make a difference. What do you think Achy? Are you on the coast? We've vacationed at St. George's Island and Alligator Point ... I LOVE it there!

hugs from a soggy Tennessean
  4. Lau

Lau New Member

Weather is a big factor in how I'm feeling. Much better on clear days, worse when pressure changes, rain or dampness & cold.

Wish we could control the weather! Seems like its been either raining or snowing all the time. Ouchh!

Wishing you sunny, 'just right' days,
    Laurie

5. bwoodruff

bwoodruff New Member

Achy,

I'm in the mid-west and the storms we've had swing through the last week have been killing me! You are certainly not alone!

My best coping mechanism is to watch the weather and make sure I take extra special care of myself - give myself more time to get ready for work, make sure I sleep enough, eat right, take my meds, etc. It's about the only thing I can do! When it gets bad, my hubby will plop me on the couch with a blanket, the cat and a good book - I like that remedy the best, but unfortunately I can't do that the majority of the time.
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

really affects me. Day before yesterday we had beautiful weather, in the 70's, yesterday it started clouding over, today it is raining. I woke up at 4:00am because I was hurting so bad. I've already taken two doses of pain medication, plus I wear the patch. I live in Oregon and have all my life, you'd think I'd be used to our weather. I'm going to Arizona next week for five days so I really hope I can have at least five days of relief. I have no ideas what you could do to help, I have found none.

Dara
  7. achy

achy New Member

I too like to crawl onto the couch wiht my pillow, a throw and just watch hgtv or food tv. But then the guilt sets in cause I'm not "doing" anything.
    After laying doen for a while I feel better, but as soon as i get into doing something here comes that wave of exhaustion again. Then it's back to the couch. ARGH

I can't imagine anybody MOVING to fla for the weather...yes, the winters are milder, especially south of Micky Land, shorts can be worn all year. But the humidity will kill you from Feb thru Nov.!!
    I live in the pensacola area. Its beautiful most of the year except june-sept. Temps go over 100!! and Humidity so bad you drip.

I wonder if there is a place that stays the same all year??
    maybe hawaii?? LOL

Thanks for all the support..next time on the couch I will know I'm not the only one.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  8. athome

athome New Member

Yes, both here where I live in Michigan and when I visit friends in PA and MD. Any change---to better or worse weather--- causes bump-up in symptoms, especially jont/muscle pain.
  9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I live in Oregon, with 80 - 90% humidity far too often for comfort. I exist only for the day that my realtor calls and says we have an offer on the house so I can get my broken down body somewhere dry. I will say that using the woodstove for heat does help a bunch in the winter. Using a heating pad when it is 100+ outside is no fun at all though.
    Kathryn
  10. dsames

dsames New Member

The weather definitely affects my fibro. I live in Mi and we have been having a lot of rainy weather. The weather has been unseasonably cold for this time of year. Right now as I am writing this, I have an afghan over my legs that are stuck under the computer table.

My legs seem to get the weather message first. I just try to keep as warm as I can, and take Tylenol as needed for the pain. I also notice a lot of pain when sitting, at the computer. Guess I shouldn't sit there so long LOL.

Hope you get to feeling better.
    Shirley
  11. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I find fl. has less barometric changes. Well, packman I am from Ohio and mom wants me to come home. I could not handle the ups and downs of pressure when I was well. As a kid I could always tell everyone a day ahead, legs would ache even then. Hurricanes do throw people in a flare here.

There is an explanation of how the pressure affects our tissue. Can`t remember now,lol,oh well have to get back with you on that. I sure do not need the weather man. Geezz there is our calling. Forget all those charts!!
  12. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi achy,
    Its awful to read of your suffering,at least i know how you feel.
    Ive had Cfs,Fibro,Asthma,Multiple allergies +Crohns disease,the dreaded itching,Headaches etc for 7yrs now.
    Im like you & find anything a massive effort & then when im odone im totally exhausted & weary.
    I just keep going its all i know,i like to put my dressing gown on & get a hot water bottle to keep me warm,then i get a blanket & snuggle.
    I find it takes me ages to try & get warm then i get soo hot im sweating,we can win can we?
    I know its really hard but however bad i feel i have to keep going & just ride with it,theres no other way.
    Youre supported & loved by all on here so remember if you need a friend you know where to come.
    God bless you
    sharon d (uk)
  13. benton

benton New Member

Hi

Yes, i definatly think weather plays a part in fibro. Its pouring with rain in the uk this morning, no big surprises there!! LOL. But i didnt need to look out the window to know it was damp out, i could feel it!

Take care all

Mandy
    x
  14. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

It's the Pressure system's that get me bad, but then again so does Wind, and Snow, and rain , the Hot days are bad also.
    I guess i just need to have my weather temp at 75 all the time, with no elements to hurt me. Don't think that is possible.

We had a bad storm system come through at the begining of the month, and it about killed me.
    I'm having other Health problems, and then with the FMS flaring up, I just wanted die, but the Good Lord is not ready for me yet.

This weekend is suppose to be nice, we are doing a yardsale(block long one), and it should fun.

Have a Sunny day
    kredca4/sharon
  15. jka

jka New Member

the weather affects me too.i live in southern oregon and we get alot of rain.the cold and dampness are the worse. i run around in long johns all winter.it feels like the cold is cutting into me.my joints just scream at me.my husband bought me some heater gloves.they help if i'm not outside too long.

kathy c
  16. pecanpie

pecanpie New Member

It rains in Florida a lot and I moved here from the midwest with cold and snow and hot and humid summers. I thought I would feel better here in Florida, but NO..it gets cloudy and hurricaney and thunderstormy and humid. I lived in Southern California in the high desert and that was where I felt the best pain-wise (but then I was younger too). I don't think moving to a warmer area helps any...sorry for anyone who was hopeful that it would. Well, I guess maybe the dry desert is the best. I think I am gonna hurt no matter where I live. Have a good night everyone.
    J.
  17. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

I am moving to Barbados in 7 or 8 years time do you think the sunny weather with a cool breeze would be good or bad for some one with ME/cfs Asthma and FM i am currently living in the UK but hate all the bad weather when i go to Barbados i seam fine no pain at all but to live there i wonder if it would be the same

Loopyloo xx
  18. Jannie

Jannie New Member

It sure does,our weather in Scotland is what you might say rather changeable,four seasons in one day,as they put it!If the barometer moves either way then i always feel it,i`m on a high dose of painkillers all the time and still suffer,i wish there was an answer. I hope you are feeling better soon!I do know that visiting this site helps,i visit it regularly but this is the first time i`ve joined in,scared i suppose!ALL THE BEST,JOHN this

[ advertisement ]