Does a low blood count effect the length of a UTI?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by wideawakeinaz, Oct 30, 2003.

1. wideawakeinaz

wideawakeinaz New Member

Last Thursday, I was told i had a UTI and was put on Bactrim for 10 days. So far, i have 2 days left on my antibotic and i'm not having a relief in the symptom, which is not a burning or urge to urinate, but rather a constant pounding feeling that is very uncomfortable. but so far, no relief from this.

I went back to my doctor on tuesday, because after a serious of tests were done, my doctor said, i was extremely anemic, only 1 degree above requiring a blood transfussion.

She also did another urine test on me and discovered that my urine does have a lot of bacteria in it. On a scale of 1-6, i was at a 5. But she didn't change my antibotic, so i'm still on my medication, until Saturday. As a back up, i did schedule an appointment for monday for another exam, as i am pretty sure, i will still be feeling the discomfort.

What I want to know is, since my blood count is sooooo low, which i am now taking iron pills for, just started those on tuesday, is this a reason why my UTI is not being treated right away? I also realize, it could be the antibotic isn't the most effective for me at this time, but does my UTI's prolonging also involve having such low blood counts?