does a vitamin with B12 have the same effect as a B12 shot???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jessaboo1312, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jessaboo1312

jessaboo1312 New Member

im yaking a multivitamin with B12 in it and i was wondering if a B12 shot is better. Thanks!!
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

A lot of people with CFS have trouble absorbing the B12 in swallowed form.

(Older people often have problems as well.)

The injections or sublinguals get around that problem.

They tend to have higher dosages too.
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

but sublingual B12 works for some folks and as that is better than a shot I would try that first. It didn't work for me, but then again, not much does.

4. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

For B12 to be absorbed through the digestive system, the person's stomach must make adequate amounts of intrinsic factor. If you you do not make enough intrinsic factor (disorder or gastric bypass) then a B12 allows your body to absorb the B12 through the subcutaneous fat layer and into the blood stream.

If you take Glucophage or Metformin (for diabetes and PCOS), these medications reduce the absorption of B12 and calcium, and you will need to take higher dose supplements.
  5. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

My doctor gives me B12 shots every 2 months and has me on a 1000mg/day. Been doing this for about 7 months.

I think it has helped my cognitive problems a bit but overall I don't think it has had any great effect that I can actually feel on the fatigue.

I'm certainly not anywhere near close to 50% of where I used to be. Maybe about 5%.

However, before starting this B12 and the other supplements I'm on, I was at about 1%.

Some improvement is better than none!

6. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

is better absorbed in either shots or sublingual form. The sublingual pills do not work for me, but I know other people who love them. I give myself a B12 shot twice a week. I wish it would give me the level of energy people without fibro get with a B12 shot, but at least it keeps me out of bed and able to work and go to the gym.
  7. jinlee

jinlee Member

My B12 is being monitored by blood work. Sublingual and oral routes did not bring B12 to normal level so have to have shots.

History of pernicious anemia so have to keep B12 up with shots. I feel lots better on them.

8. frango2

frango2 New Member

shots, or do you get them at your Dr's office?

My Dr said that I would know when I was getting enough because my urine would have a red tinge to it. I am on both sublingual B12 (4 times a day) and a subcutaneous shot a day and I have not had a red tinge to my urine.
  9. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I've been on weekly sub-cu shots this time for more than a year, plus 1000 mcg daily sublingual for months, and no red tinge to my urine. It's a bit stronger yellow the 24 hours after my shots, but that's all.
  10. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

For me there is no discernable difference, so I take the tablets.