Does Accupuncture Itself hurt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suekoo, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Hi, I've been wondering if accupuncture hurts. Someone told me it can be a very deep aching. Anyone experience that?
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

my session yesterday really hurt. I have very tight muscles and tendons and nerve pain due to a neck/arm problem.

However, I have had acu before and it was fine, some needles you don't even feel going in, others are a very very mild little prick, not like getting a needle at the doctor, much milder.

but I think the Chinese doc yesterday was pretty gun-ho and put the needles rather deep and then attached electric current to them at too high an intensity, I had to get him to turn it down several times.

so...I guess it depends on your problem, where the needles need to go and how agressive the acupuncturist is.

Years ago I had an injured knee and got immediate pain relief from acu and it didn't hurt me.

J.
  3. Kurt

Kurt Member

You can feel the needle go inside you, but you have to remember the needle is really small and the needle does not go very deeply into your skin.

Kurt
  4. sunslickie34

sunslickie34 New Member

hi suekoo i had accupunter on my neck and some down my arms and legs and honestly it did hurt i was like you really scared but when i went it was nothing just a pin prick mind you it did not help me but everyone is differnt and you should go and try it fingers crossed it helps you good luck sunslickie34
  5. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

Usually caused by getting to close to a nerve. But it's usually gone in just a second or two. I hate needles personally but with the wonderful results I got two days ago, I wouldn't care how much it hurt.
  6. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

For some reason I just keep putting off making an accu appt. I've had accu done years ago but I barely remember it. My memories have been a mess since this fibro. I can't even remember important parts of my childhood! But I digress. My question(s) is to those of you who HAVE had accupuncture done.

How did it help? What symptoms did it relieve...even just slightly? If not for the pain I really have high hopes that it will help my constant nausea. I guess I'm just in one of those hopeless ruts where I feel like 'what's the point? nothing ever helps.' Maybe if I hear of some success I might pick up the phone today. lol Any little improvement will be a big one for me so even if you had tiny, slight improvement it would be a huge help to me. I just need that little push. This seems the perfect thread to talk about some accupuncture stories.
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I went to several sessions with a Chinese medical doctor and Naturopath for the fatigue, but I didn't see any significant improvement. The needles didn't hurt.

When he gave me acu on a knee that I had strained, however, the relief was almost immediate and the results were good.

so, I believe what the person above typed that for our problems with fatigue probably needs many many sessions. But for more new and acute conditions might be very helpful.

I will be going for another session again, though I don't look forward to the pain. But, not everyone would have the pain that I am having this time around with acupuncture. There's something wrong with my neck and arm muscles, they've been injured in some way.

Maybe a different practitioner would be more gentle and it would hurt a lot less, but I hear this guy has helped A LOT of people, so maybe it's one of those, no pain-no gain type of situations.

J.
  8. youmansm

youmansm New Member

Hi--I have had acupuncture in my head, my ear, my knee and my back and it has never hurt. Good luck!
  9. healing

healing New Member

I would suggest that the correct answer is, "it depends."

I have been receiving acupuncture from respected, experienced practitioners for more than 10 years. When I am inflamed, it hurts a lot. When I am not inflamed, some places are uncomfortable but there is little pain. I disagree about the electricity. This is an accepted methodology, as is the use of moxa (a bundle of herbs, tightly tied and lighted like a punk stick, used to heat the needles).

There are different styles of needle application; some of them tend to be more uncomfortable than others. Some needles are long, some are short. If you find that one place is too painful to receive a needle (like my chronically swollen and inflamed big toe joint), the practitioner can always find another spot up the "meridian" line that will have the same effect.

I find that acupuncture can relieve severe pain and calm my system. It is very good for certain ailments, and less dependable for others like FM, which is a highly individualistic syndrome. Like most alternative treatments, the effects are more subtle. It's not a quick fix. You have to stick with it.
  10. sunslickie

sunslickie New Member

SO SORRY I SPELLED MY POST WRONG I MENT DIDNT HURT SO I AM SORRY IF I SCARED YOU AND BELIVE ME IT DIDNT HURT ME AT ALL GOOD LUCK ............SUNSLICKIE
  11. Kim

Kim New Member

I've been to 4 (two from China) and 2 trained here. Depending on where they placed the needles it varied from no feeling to moderate pain. Nothing that I couldn't tolerate.
  12. klarry

klarry New Member

but then again it did not really help me. I actually think that I fel worse after my session. I would not rush to do it again.
  13. JP

JP New Member

I have had many visits myself. Any pain I have ever experienced has been worth it in the long run. I think the electrical stimulation would be too much and you need to determine that for yourself. I have found that some doctors won't use it at all. If you experience any pain, it's usually just for a second and is very mild. The doctor won't want to hurt you in anyway. If you try, just communicate what you are experiencing. You can also ask questions before you make the appointment.

The best to you...keep us posted, Jan
  14. Gracie65

Gracie65 New Member

I went for almost one year for lower back pain that was so severe I could hardly get out of bed in the a.m. and some mornings, didn't. I found a licensed and I emphasize that word..licensed..acupuncturist that not only stopped the pain but it has never returned. It has been easily 3 years since then. Actually the pain for the lower spine and hips had stopped within about 12 treatments, give or take. I was so impressed that I continued for the unusual relaxed and overall feeling of wellness that I felt after each session.

I had needles stuck in my forehead, temples, cheeks and even on the outer ear. So yes, there is a little pinprick feeling but given the relief afterwards I did not care. I felt a distinct sensation of a humming, the best I can describe this during many of the sensations throughout my body. My tension headaches stopped almost immediately. I did start off by going twice a week for a month though and it is pricey unless you have insurance to cover it.

But I want to stress getting a licensed acupunturist. You can call your state licensing board, definitely start by calling your local business licensing bureau. Ask how to call and see if they have a current license. Remember anytime someone is sticking a needle no matter how thin, it's still an invasive procedure. If there was some kind of problem down the road...you haven't a leg to stand on much if you allowed an unlicensed person to do this.
    I will mention too, each needle should come out of a clean little packette, each one.

This was a wonderful treatment for me and very effective and permanent...good luck, Gracie 65
  15. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Electro-acupuncture uses mild electrical pulses, rather than needles. This is similar to the electrical stimulation your chiropractor might do, but rather than stimulating your muscles, the current enters your central nervous system at acupuncture points. I found this to be both more comfortable and more productive than traditional acupuncture. I was completely pain free, after the very first session, unlike pain meds, which usually address most of the pain, but not all. It only lasts for about 12-24 hours, and the pain slowly returns, but it is the most complete relief I've found, yet, even if it is temporary.
  16. Jen F

Jen F New Member

17. babyzee

babyzee New Member

Sometimes the muscle "spasms" around the needle and it hurts quite a bit.
    If you're scared of needles I wouldn't recommend it (I'm not scared of them myself). There are other ways of getting the same effect - try acupressure, shiatsu, or other light-touch massage.
  18. Jen F

Jen F New Member

19. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

One fear i do not have is of needles after going through a series of botox shots in the trigger points in my neck, and occasional trigger point shots from my doctor in the neck and back for pain, which only bring temp relief. (Long enough tto get home take sleeping pills and sleep for a while.)

Again thanks for the bumps Jen.

Kelley
  20. Jen F

Jen F New Member