Does anger increase symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by padre, Jul 26, 2008.

1. padre

padre New Member

Some time back a member posted the topic of temper and feeling anger at these diseases.

After some thought, and a couple of experiences, I am wondering if anger does not make us worse. This is not to say it causes FM, for example, although we can take that up.

This last week my frustration (anger) with a doctor's office made me ask for my records transfered. I wrote a cordial note to the doctor (nice guy, been very helpful, but is a long way away and not doing much). My anger is with his billing department. They screw up a bill and threaten to take me to collection for $10.35 (out of $100's of dollars.)

So I get my records transfered to my primary physician. I usually go to his associate, but associated died (how dare he!) Primary calls me to talk. He is sure that many of my problems are caused by eating too much meat, not enough vegetables and yogurt, and not being below normal weight (he believes in being under weight.)

I am not angry at him, I am angry at me for letting my anger get the best of me. Suddenly I am in a flare. I really hurt. There is nothing else that has happened that I can see.

What do you think? Does anger make FMS worse or does FMS make us more angry? Or, maybe I am confusing anger with fear or something else.
  2. padre

padre New Member

Did an internet search. This is interesting. I had not seen it before. Some of it ties into research I did at Harvard Medical School on spirituality and healing in medicine. This suggests a physical change based on emotional causes which is different from other studies.

This theory would be that there are physiological changes in my water due to emotions and attitudes. I will ponder this. I had rather thought that anger was lowering my pain threshold on an emotional level.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think it can work both ways. Anger definitely can make you feel worse. However if you are starting a flare that can make anyone a bit short tempered.

I wonder if our bodies know we are going into a flare before we actually are consciously aware of what is going on.

I think it is hard to distinguish the chicken or the egg.

Then maybe it is both!!

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Anger will absolutely cause a flare and make symptoms worse. However, when I am flaring badly, I do sometimes get really angry because I don't feel well, so I understand the dilemma.

What I have learned through this is to not let certain situations and inevitabilities in life bother me--have to kind of save that for the big stuff and not sweat the small stuff. I guess with all the trials and tribulations of fibro, there's a definitive life lesson to be learned here.

5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I am currently working to lower my levels of this emotion because it is so un pleasant and I know it directly affects my liver but whether it directly causes a flare I am not sure.

Over the yrs I have come to the conclusion that a relapse is more likely a combination of factors i.e.I may survive a stress interlude and not crash, likewise a virus but put them together, particularly experiencing the stress first,then I will crash big time.
    I am following Echhart Tolle's ideas re unwanted thoughts and emotions and you know , some days, it works.
    Its a very cold winter right now in Australia and I am hitting the wrong keys, bring on Spring.
  6. padre

padre New Member

Thanks for mentioning Tolle. I did an internet search and read some of what he has to say. Some of it reflects Dr. Herb Benson's "The Relaxation Response" which is helpful to any of us who allow stress to dominate our lives. Benson has been doing research on forgiveness and healing. It is also called "Grudge Theory" or the pain caused by the carrying the burden of a grudge.

This is a good dialogue. Thank you.

Addition: I am in California, USA and it is 97 degrees and it is still hard to hit the keys.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  7. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I have always been a hot head... Many years ago I knew that I had to do "something" with this negative energy so I would tear into the housework when angry.
    The physical working it out got it out of my system and when all was done I could look back and see someting good came out of what started out as a negative thing.
    I still do the same thing with anger I just don't get that angry as often now. heh.
    Stress is another issue all together.
    When I start feeling emotional stress building I can feel the life drain out of me at the same time.
    Anyone out there have a few tips and hints on how to handle stress?