Does any one control the fm with diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Loveyame, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

I was put on a diet several years ago for the fm but I can not remember what it was or who the doctor was. I rememember losing weight and walking but not the diet part. Do you have any suggestions?
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I think you are talking about eating to relieve your FM symptoms, not so much losing weight, right? Weight loss is a pleasant "by product" of the diet you are talking about.

I wish I could help you, as this is something I want to do as well. I am tired of all the drugs. Especially when the don't help. I am thinking of getting tested for food allergies/sensitivites.

Raz
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just met a woman at the health food store who said that going on a gluten-free diet helped her enormously with fibromyalgia. She stopped eating wheat, oats, rye and I think barley (but am not sure about the barley).

She also started taking digestive enzymes. These all helped her a lot. She also had a candida problem and she is going to try virgin coconut oil for that.

I think in general a high protein diet with lots of vegies and low carbs is good.

Mary
  4. BKayB

BKayB New Member

Hello

I do to some degree control my fibromyalgia with diet. I rarely eat sugar, white flour or trans fats. When I eat those things my symptoms worsen or flare me up. I also can not tolerate too much wheat. I can tolerate about one serving of wheat per day - 1 slice of bread OR a small bowl of cereal OR some pasta. I have had fibromyalgia for 12 years and have read dozens of books, been to dozens of doctors, tried so many diets, medications and supplements -it has been a long hard road. I am not doing fantastic but better than I used to. I have been bed ridden at times in the past. Any way, there is quite a bit of information coming out now about anti-inflammatory diets - diets that pattern somewhat after Mediterranean diets. Higher in protein, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and good fats than most Americans tend to usually eat.

:D
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  5. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

I pretty much stay away from anything "white". I eat mainly nuts, eggs, goat yogurt and milk, rice milk, lean meats and LOTS and LOTS of veggies. I eat salads with every evening meal with olive oil and lemon dressing. I eat sprouted Ezekiel (sp?) bread/toast and raisin bran cereal for breakfast. I also drink a fruit smoothie once a day. I buy as much organic food as I can afford which isn't all that much but atleast it is some.

I take HCL acid tablets and digestive enzymes with my larger meals and supplement with Raw adrenal extracts, vitamins, minerals, omega oils and probiotics.

I just experienced 6 weeks of pain free living but am having a setback now and am not sure why. The problem with me is that when I have these pain free periods I begin to think I am better than I am and I becpme more lax about the diet and then WHAM I am back in bed again. C'est la vie.
  6. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I found from this site the "Eat Right 4 your Type" diet worked for me very well. Didn't sleep much last year due to pain in my legs all night but now I'm mostly pain free unless I have something like sugar, even a bit of cake. I eat mostly meats and fresh veggies, salad, and fruit. If I do have a bit of pain I have learned where my trigger points are and massage them till they go away.
    Hope this helps
  7. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

I'm thinking of taking the white bread, sugar, etc. out of my diet. I heard that higher protein diets w/o flour, sugar, etc. helps some with fm/cfs. I have put off trying
    this deit b/c i am addicted to the white stuff!

anyone else have strong, sometimes uncontrolable cravings for sweets and white flour food?

wonder if my body craves the exact foods I shouldn't eat!

anyone had relief of symptoms since going on a higher protein (which i dislike most forms of!) lower or no flour, sugar diet?