DOES ANY ONE LIVE IN RICHMOND VA. AREA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babygirl44, Aug 28, 2006.

1. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

HELLO
    Does anyone live in are around RICHMOND VA I will be moving that way and i was wondering if you have any better luck up there with the fibro doc's.And could you tell me what the winters arte like i love snow and hoping to see some.I'm in tx now so don't get to see much snow.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I live in Chester, VA, which is about 15 to 20 miles from Richmond.

Well I see my family doc for FMS. I don't know of any FMS docs in Richmond. Where in Richmond, do you know yet?

The winters are around the 30's and 40's and we can get like 3" of snow but that usually comes in January and February. We can also get ice, which is worse than the snow.

Last few years we haven't had any really bad snow storms.

Right now we are in a drought and on a volunteer water ban so far. But we may get some rain soon from the Hurricane coming.

Good luck with moving. How come you all picked Richmond?

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. adberens

adberens New Member

Hi Babygirl,

I have CFS and have a good doctor overall but I am not sure he is a wealth of knowledge as far as CFS and FM. I know GONGEE also lives here and is having a hard time finding a FM doctor.

The winters are not bad here. A little snow now and then but it does not last long. I am from Michigan originally so I am used to bad winters.

Good luck and stay in touch. Ardy
  4. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

Hello all
    Thanks for your response (1) My husbands has a job offer there at the base and it's in Riichmond,i guesss that doesn't mean we have to live there just close by .
    I'm trying to get info so we know if he wants to exsept it are not.
    I for one love snow we don't get it at all here it starts and stop as fast as it starts.
    So i would like to be around snow.
    As for doc's sounds like what i am already dealing with but I just got with a doc that is treating me ok, I like him.
    I have had the horri stories haven't been on the board for a few months. I hope every one is fine and trying to stay pain free.Your all in my prays.
    Oh, I say a chesterfield on the map so that's kinda close hun.

I don't think he would mind driving 10 to 20 miles to work and the rent there seems to be high from looking on the net for apt we realy need a rent house we have a two living area and three bedroom 2 bath house now and to much stuff for a apt.
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- I use to live in Richmomd 1987-2001. I had to move because of my mothers health.

It is a great city-BUT housing is very high. Tip number one- stay out of the East end. It is afforadable housing but is a very high crime area, you don't want your children there.

There area areas in the South side that are fine but close to to the city limits. Chester is a good area.

A freind of mine paid $200,000 for a 2900 sf house in 2000. She said they are selling the same house for $300,000 and more.

She bought in a new subdivision just as it started, I think there are over 300 houses now.

The West end is very exspensive. You can expext to pay around $700-800 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bath apt. Houses well, are a bit higher and clustered, small yards.

I moved from a small town in Ky in 1987 and my house payment then was $300 a month, I had a nice 4 bedroom cape cod. When had to pay $500 a month for a 2 bedroom condo. Very disheartening.

It is a lovely city, the people are nice, good weather not not much snow. You can drive to some ski places in a hour or two.

I saw Dr Kevin Powers at Glenside Medical at Glenside and Staple Mills Rd. There use to be a fibro Dr named Dr Strachan. I was set up to see him but had to leave town on a very short notice and had to cancel my appt.

Please feel free to ask me anything. I will be on the board sporadically the next two weeks just post OT (off topic) to CKBALL.

I hope this helps, I am very jealous :) I really miss VA but know I will never be able to go back ;( Carla

I take it your husband has a job already, where will he be working?
  6. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

Hello
    So, no snow i want snow oh well thats the breaks.
    So you liked it there sorry your mothers health is bad and you can't go back.
    I don't know if he is going to take the job i'm doing my research befor we say ya or na.He really wants to go to Germnay.He gets offers from all over but not Germany.the place he really wants to be.As for the rent i saw it is awful and i have 2 living areas and 3 bedrooms 2 bath and i pay $550.00 a month i saw the $800.00 CRAZY JUST ONE BEDROOM.But thanks every one for the replys
  7. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

I don't think were going I believe he is going to try and hold out fro Germany not sure yet.

Cause if he takes this when they pay for the move you have to stay 1 year which means if Germay comes befor a year we will have to turn it down.
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Dr Powers stinks. As a matter of fact I only found one good doc at Glenside Medical and I think she is gone now.

I went there with a sinus infection that was keeping me up at night crying and they xrayed me and said, "well I see SOME haziness..."

I was on antibiotics for 3 WEEKS and wound up at the ENT before it was all over... SOME haziness huh???

Anyway, I see Dr David Harrison at Lakeside Primary Care and he is a PCP with not much beside manner, but listens to you and talks with you not at you.

I also see a rhuematologist named Dr Maestrello who says he has 30 FM patients, but the jury is still out on him.

Good luck,
    Sonya
  9. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

Thanks for reply not one of my good days so i'm checking board every so often.LOL
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

I am sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience ith Dr powers. He treated me for about 5 years, every 3 months. I had to have blood work every 3 months for cancer screens.

He always listened and gave me meds when I asked. Every good Dr has a bad day.

I'm sorry he couldn't help you. I have not heard of the other Drs you mentioned. Carla
  11. Luvscats

Luvscats New Member

Hi
    I live in Henrico county. I see Dr Strachan. I think he is very good . I have been seeing him since my dx in 2000.
    Linda
  12. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

about info on doc when we have decided to go are not i'll keep him in mind.