does any one think giving up smoking would help this fms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achesandpains, Feb 28, 2007.

1. achesandpains

achesandpains New Member

hi just want to know your feelings on smoking with fms
    do you think it helps to pack in smoking
    bless u all gina
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the nicotine helps one cope with FMS but in the larger picture, it puts one's health at great risk. My Dad died of a heart attack from emphasema due to a lifetime of smoking. After his funeral, I quit. That's been at least 20 years ago. With the health problems I have with FMS and ME/CFS, I'm glad I no longer have the constant bronchial problems from smoking.

Love, Mikie
  3. hermione1355

hermione1355 New Member

Smoking does more harm than good. It lowers your immune system and stresses the body which can lead to more flare ups and more pain. I would encourage anyone smoking to quit. You will see a difference.

My boyfriend recently quit and he feels much stronger and healthier than before and he doesn't have fms.
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

It can only help you in my opinion. Your body has enough work to do in trying to fight your illness without having to fight the cigrette smoking as well.

Maybe your body will be able to focus more on fighting the illness if you aren't smoking. I doubt it will cure you but you may end up feeling better and that is always a good thing.

Plus it is much healthier for you in the long run as Mikie spoke about AND you will be saving money.

I am biased too. My grandfather died of lung cancer from smoking and my boyfriends stepfather will likely see an early grave as well. He isn't doing well and has been in and out of the hospital this past year because of what smoking has done to his heart and lungs.

I wish my boyfriend would quit :( Especially after seeing what it is doing to his stepfather.

I would say try and quit if you are seriously thinking about it. In my opinion there is no down side to quiting other than the difficulty in quiting itself.

Good Luck!
    Pam
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I quit for 2.5 years and started back up the day of my Mom's funeral :-( ... trust me ... there was no difference other than the $$$ I was saving and the icky smell.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Isn't always visible or something one can feel. The damage from smoking can be going on with relatively little evidence of it for many years. By the time it shows up, it is often too late. One has to be really motivated to quit. I had quit for 11 years once and went right back to it after picking up one cig at a party. I used to look at old women smoking and tell myself that if it were that bad for us, there would be no old smokers. By the time it became evident in my Dad, he could barely walk half a block without gasping for air and feeling as though he was suffocating. I decided that could be me down the road and quit. I don't judge anyone who smokes but I do pray for strength for anyone wanting to quit.

Love, Mikie
  7. victoria123

victoria123 New Member

I used to be a social smoker in my twenties (I am now 53). I can assure you that smoking not only has a detrimental effect on your health, despite the initial rush of the addictive "high", but it creates a very obvious decline in your physical appearance eg 18 mths after I stopped, I ran into an ex boyfriend & his very first remark was how stunning I looked - he thought I looked much younger. Most long term smokers I see look scrawny & wrinkled & very dehydrated. Anyone (as well as myself) has far less wrinkles & looks younger after quiting.
    (By the way, at 53, despite years of pain & health problems & now FM, I look the same or better than I did at 30).
    FM has so many symptoms & varies so much from individual to individual, why add the symptoms & health problems caused by smoking to your already stressed body?
    Best wishes for a smoke free life....
    Victoria
  8. achesandpains

achesandpains New Member

thank-you for all your views, it really does help when
    you see peoples views and advice.
    cheers gina