Does any one use a journal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christinawensell, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Does anyone keep a journal about meds they are on and then how they felt emotionally and physically that day. Also how they related to friends and family on different days etc. I have thought about doing this, but I keep procrastinating on it. I just thought maybe someone else that is currently doing it would have some suggestions for me, and also let me know if they feel it is helpful with doctor appointments etc.

Thank you in advance for all who comment,

Wishing good health to all,

Christina
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I do. It's extremely helpful for me, since my memory is so bad. Helps me to see my patterns and manage myself. I mainly use it to record what I eat and how I am sleeping. Also, any unusual symptoms or activites or stresses. It's good for jotting down memmos to self. It gets to be a habbit, and you develop your own shorthand with it after a while, so it's not much writing once you find your system.

For me, a smaller notebook is good. If I couldn't carry it around with me, I would never remember to use it. ;)
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have several logs on my computer to keep track of various things.

Food Log
    Water Log
    List of Current Meds & Supplements
    Log of Meds/Supplements Currently being Added/Changed
    Exercise Log
    Sleep Log
  4. tranrich

tranrich New Member

I have been keeping notes myself for about a year now. I hand it to the doctor and we discuss several points listed on the journal. I keep track of the things I use to be able to do and can no longer perform. In some cases, like yard work, no matter how much medicine I take, my body will not allow me to do this type of work. The doctor has told me he very much appreciates my notes because it gives him an idea of how I am doing and if I am dealing with FM. To each there own, but I would recommend you start one.
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

I keep it on Excel, with a number 1-10 rating for things like activity level, energy level, stress, depression, etc. I have a couple of columns for comments. It has really helped me to recognize patterns that cause a crash.

I like using Excel and use the chart function to make a line chart for each month that shows activity, energy and stress. I showed it to my doctor who requested copies and told me that disability boards love stuff like this.

I got the basic idea for my log from the cfidsselfhelp.org web site.

Vicki
  6. Christinawensell

for all the comments and great suggestions. Since today is the 1st I am going to start today. Brand new month brand new attitude. We are moving this weekend too. So this might be a whole new chapter to my life. thank you

Christina
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My doc wanted my B/P and pulse, so I started one and expanded it to my diet, meds, activities, and comments.

I never wanted to spend that much time on my illness, become too focused on each little ache and pain. Others have mentioned how helpful they can be in terms of finding patterns and exposing things which contribute to feeling sick.

I can see the benefit and am looking at it as an exercise in helping me to continue to heal.

Love, Mikie
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Good for you Christina! Wish you luck! :)
  9. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

I keep a written journal also, but I also created a printed health journal specifically to track my patterns and progress with FM treatment.

It includes these things:

-A human figure, front and back, so that I can mark where I hurt that day.

-A scale from 1 to 10 that I can circle to rate my general pain that day, and one for fatigue

-An area to note changes in dietary choices (for example, if I cheated on my Candida diet that day)

-An area to note changes in routine, such as "had chiropractor appointment" or "changed dosage on thyroid meds."

-An area for sleep. I rate how well I slept, how many times I woke up in the night, if I napped during the day.

-An area to describe, generally, how I felt that day.

Each sheet (both sides) cover a week, and I have a section where I can make general notes regarding that week. For example, changes in medication or if I started my period that week, etc. This helps me look back in my records if I have questions about when certain changes occurred.

It's loose sheets that I copy back to back, punch holes in, and keep in a three-ring binder.

It's kind of a hassle to keep this record, but on the other hand, it has come in very handy, as far as being able to report to my doctor and to be able to have some control over my treatment.

I created this health journal in Pagemaker, but I can probably make it into a PDF file, which could be downloaded by anyone. If anyone is interested, perhaps I could discuss this with the moderators or tech support to see if there is a way for it to be available for others.
  10. Christinawensell

Thank you all. I really am excited about starting this journal today. Thank you also for the web site that was very helpful.
    Wasabi, I would love to see how you have your's setup. I think it may be beneficial to others too.
    Christina
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

One is on-line and that just all my general thoughts. No one sees it but me.

I have one for my job searching expiditions.

And I have one for fibro, so that when I get to the doctor I haven't forgotten anything.

I never use to be this organized... and still am NOT, but it became imperitive to do these things since fibro fried my brain.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

But now days I'm feeling better and I forget to write in it. I do keep track of a food that I eat and not feeling well after eating it. I write that down or the combination of foods I eat. Most of my problems seem to come from when I combine certain food.
    Dee50
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hiya hope youre as well as you can be.
    Ive kept a journal for 9 years now & i started it when 1st dx.
    Its very informative & vital to chart my meds & how they affect me or dont.
    I write what ive eaten & how i feel as the day goes on.
    I also write what the weather is like because that plays a big part in how i feel on a daily basis.
    Take care & may god bless you.
    Fibrolady37.
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

All these journal ideas are great! I have 8 million lists all over the place, so it would be good to somehow get them all in one place. I hate saying to a doc "Uh, I know I tried that, but I can't remember how it made me feel. I just know it didn't work, or I would still be using it."
    Katy