Does Anybody Else Experience This?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 12, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

When I go from a cold environment (for me, that can be 68 degrees or even sometimes higher) to a warm/hot one--especially a hot shower--I've noticed that my blood vessels seem to stand out in a sort of reddish color against the rest of my skin for a while. This happens primarily on my legs, but sometimes also on my arms. Except for the blood vessels, the rest of my skin is either normal color or slightly blue. This lasts for a while after the shower, and then everything returns to normal. When I've asked the docs about it, they say it's because I have small capilaries close to the skin.

Maybe that's all there is to it, but I'm still new to fibromyalgia, and I've seen messages on this board about cold sensitivity and "spider veins." So I'm just wondering whether my experience seems familiar to anybody else.

--Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2002]
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

When I go from a cold environment (for me, that can be 68 degrees or even sometimes higher) to a warm/hot one--especially a hot shower--I've noticed that my blood vessels seem to stand out in a sort of reddish color against the rest of my skin for a while. This happens primarily on my legs, but sometimes also on my arms. Except for the blood vessels, the rest of my skin is either normal color or slightly blue. This lasts for a while after the shower, and then everything returns to normal. When I've asked the docs about it, they say it's because I have small capilaries close to the skin.

Maybe that's all there is to it, but I'm still new to fibromyalgia, and I've seen messages on this board about cold sensitivity and "spider veins." So I'm just wondering whether my experience seems familiar to anybody else.

--Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2002]
  3. fp3657@aol.com

fp3657@aol.com New Member

SORRY CANT SAY THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME ...
  4. epicurean

epicurean New Member

It's a fact that heat makes your blood vessels dilate-so thats probably what it is from.
  5. brightlights

brightlights New Member

This has happened to me, for as long as I can remember. I only have it in the upper torso, not the legs.

It has become much worse since I've gotten FMS, and now it's so bad, I have to take the coolest shower possible, and then sit down and rest for a while, and let my body temp cool down. Sometimes I even turn the shower as cold as I can stand for a minute or two before I get out of the shower. That has really helped.

I used to always take a shower every morning to bring myself to life. Now I only take showers at night, and more and more often, I'm taking a PTA (Pits, Tits, and A**) bath instead.

Sandra

Sandra
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

On thinking about this a little more and re-reading my original post, I think I didn't describe the experience very well. (Maybe it was fibro fog!)

This usually happens when I'm cold, not when I'm hot. Maybe I just notice it more in the shower because I usually wear long pants, and I don't see my bare legs until I get undressed, e.g., to take a shower. Sometimes it happens on my forearms, too, but usually it's on my lower legs, from knee to ankle. My legs look kind of like a road map. I *think* the "lines" are red, but maybe my memory (none too good these days it seems) is playing games with me, and their really blue (like veins), but very prominent.

The heat of the hot shower first seems to make the "road map" more prominent, but as I warm up, the lines seem to disappear, either toward the end of the shower or shortly afterward.

That probably doesn't make much difference in terms of whether others here have had this weird experience, but just in case this might recognize it from a more accurate description, I thought I'd post this correction.

--Laura

P.S. I've noticed several others on this board are named Laura. Just to help people distinguish among us, I'll try to remember to sign my future posts as Laura R.M.