Does anybody else get pvc's?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amymb74, Jan 30, 2006.

1. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I have had CFIDS for 11 years and in the past 3 years I have been getting irregular heart beats that are diagnosed as premature ventricular contractions. They are so scary feeling but docs say nothing they can do except beta blockers which will cause fatigue and the heartbeats won't hurt me. I was just wondering if I'm these are common with us or is it just me? Amy
  2. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Amy, My name is new to you because I used to be on here often but haven't been back to the boards for almost a year. I also have had PVC's or other irreglar heart beats - often due to too much caffeine and stress. I am an RN and worked ICU at night- we would hook up to a cardiac monitor and freak out at our irregular heart rates and funky beats! Sometimes reflux or esophageal spasms can cause the feeling too. I hope yours gets better!
    Darla
  3. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

I first started getting them when I was going for my driver's licence test, many, many years ago. The doctor explained that it was caused through stress. He said the brain was sending a message to the heart to beat when it wasn't supposed to, so I kept getting a feeling like my heart was stopping and then beating quickly to 'catch up.' Scary but not life threatening. It still happens now and again. I don't take any medication for it.
  4. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

Yes, I too get them. My doctor has also advised me that they are benign (not harmful). I agree they are quite scary.
  5. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I too take a beta-blocker.

GBHope
  6. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Did your doc do a stress echo or did he just declare them nothing to worry about? It matters. Normal standard of care is to do stress echo to see if the heart actually beats and fills normally during stress of exercise. If Heart functions normally during exercise stress then PVCs are declared non-problematic.

Yes beta blockers can make you fatigued if the dose is too high. The key is to find the right one at the right dose that allows you to have some aerobic capacity.
  7. cbella

cbella New Member

I have had them off and on for years, ever since they discovered my mitral valve prolapse. I would be put on a med for a while and then I would take myself off once I felt better. Then about 2-3 years later it would start up again. The last time was about 3 years ago and it was making me dizzy because I was having so many. My cardiologist put me on verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker. Beta blockers always made me feel awful. I've been doing great on it and I even drink reg coffee. I've decided I'm not going to take myself off of it this time since I feel ok with it. When it happens, you can try coughing and sometimes that will kick it back to normal rhythym. good luck, cb
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Several years ago I had a severe problem with PVC's - There are many things that can cause them including allergic reactions, stress, caffeine, etc.

I believe mine was allergies and stress. I took Beta Blocker drugs for several years. Eventually, the problem went away. The only time I get them now is if I am extremely tired.
  9. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I have had an irregular heart beat since I was 16, I am 43 now. I have had numerous test, EKG's, Holter monitors, Stress tests, Treadmill and they all say that it is due to stess, anxiety, caffeine and/or not enough sleep. The cardiologist offered me beta blockers but warned me that it could cause other arythmias so I never took them. I know they are scary and I have even had the ambulance come to my house and they said it was just a panic attack. I am on anti-anxiety pills now as well as anti-depressants and they seem to have settled somewhat. I have read up a bit about fibromyalgia and it does seem common with our type of disease so I am learning to accept it.
    HTH :)
    Sandy