Does anybody else hate "holidays"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 9, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Hi All!

I was going to ask if anybody else hates "phony, made-up" holidays, but then I realized they're all phony & made-up...

I find holidays to be a real drag, & just another burdensome chore.
    In fact, I think the scheduled sentimentality is psychologically damaging.

Of course this is on my mind cuz tomorrow is Mothers' Day.
    I'm one of the fortunate ones. Mom & I are close, but I still find the holiday to be "false" somehow...

(I'm not a little bundle of cheer about other holidays either.)

Am I the only person who HATES holidays???

2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

however,I think there is a lot of pressure to create "Hallmark" moments... that gets to be a real drag for sure!! I think Mother's Day came about in the 40's by a woman who felt Mom's weren't given enough recognition for all they do. Nice thought but now it is out of control. There's even a Granparent's Day,although so far none of my grandkids have recognized it!! Having said that...Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's~~~Jeanne~~
  3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I love the holidays, especially since i get to get off work for most of them, LOL. But really, I doo love the holidays, especially Mother's Day. My kids make me breakfast in bed, even now that they are 16 & 18, they have been doing that since they were little. I even remember one year the toast was burnt and the eggs pretty bad, but of course I still ate them and telling the yummy, that was the best breakfast i have ever had. Hahahaha

When the kids were little, I hated Xmas, except of course the morning when they woke up and were so excited about the presents and that santa and the reindeer ate their food. But the fact that i had to go to place to place was a big drag. I finally changed that and made all the families do it different days so now we go one place each day.

I also love all the other holidays. I hope things change for you and you can enjoy your time at the holidays. God bless!!!!!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think everyone's personal life situations has an influence on how they feel about the holidays.
    I actually don't hate them.
    My Mom and I are extremely close. I celebrate and honor her every single day, but tomorrow, my sisters and I will take her to breakfast. A simple hour out with her girls means the world to her. I am happy to give her that.
    Mornings are very hard for me - but I know that someday I won't have my Mom so I am very grateful to have any time with her that I can - and it's all for her.

Moms that don't have kids nearby or don't hear from them very often would most likely love a phone all - whether it's a made up holiday or not, most people celebrate that special woman.
    Same with Father's Day.

Other holidays - well many carry tradition so that's why I don't mind them.
    July 4th - if it's during the week - it's a day off! I don't care about watching fireworks, but staying home, maybe taking a nap, enjoying a barbecue with friends - okay with me!

Christmas - I love it. Shopping, not so much, but as I said, it's about tradition for me and my kids. (one year we didn't do our usual Christmas Eve dinner and found out later how disappointed my son and niece were)

Labor Day sort of marks the end of summer for me. Again - a three day weekend. Whoohoo.
    The only holiday I'm not crazy about is Halloween - my kids are older, but I know how much little ones enjoy it. I did not like the pressure of the whole costume thing when my kids were of that age!

I know you probably wanted answers from those that hate them also - I'm sorry! I just wanted to give my take on why they don't bother me. If I don't feel like doing something for a holiday, I don't do it. I don't find it psychologically damaging at all.

You ARE fortunate as I am, that you still have your Mom and are close to her as well. I think many people will have a hard time tomorrow, either because they don't have their Moms that they loved and miss, or their children are not around or they don't have good relationships with them. As I said, it's really about personal situations.

I do wish all of those who are Moms a Happy Mother's Day!
  5. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I don't hate them, but I do know what you mean. I used to like them more. I think that was before I realized how they were so commercialized.

It was also before I got sick. Now the pressure to thrown down food and entertain is mostly overwhelming so I have had to modify them a bunch. I get a lot of stuff catered. We go out to restaurants more and over to friends houses.

I have always disliked Halloween though, too evil and devilish. Thanksgiving is my favorite.

I like Mothers Day but don't feel like celebrating much tomorrow. It will be nice to have the family together though.

Jam I am a sunflower lover too and I do buy myself flowers frequently. I am just one of those people that feel happy when they see flowers.

To every mother and mothers child out there, have a Happy Mothers Day.

6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe "hate" was too strong a word. Y'all hit it right on the head. It's the whole "this is the officially sanctioned day to have a specific variety of Hallmark moment" theme of "holidays" that irritates my brain cells.

Oh well. If this is the biggest irritation I face all day, I can cope. haha

Jan - I think it's great that you like holidays! No, you don't have to agree with me in order to respond to my post. LOL
    I like seeing things from others' POV.

I also agree that we should honor the important people in our lives at every opportunity.

Judging by your responses, I think I'd have to BE a mom, to really appreciate the holiday.

I hope all the mommies here at the boards have an enjoyable day!!!

7. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

My son never does anything and I think others experience that too. But you can go into the stores and see Mother's Day cards from the cat or the dog. They must be popular as they're showing up at Christmas too.

My two cats got me a cute mother's day card (that actually says it is from the cats) and the cats gave me inexpensive dishes that I wanted so much (that fits into their budget) and they always get the purrfect gift I want!!!!!!!
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

This was my second Mother's Day without my mom. So this sucked. My mother's best friend took me out and that made it much better. Her daughter is out of the country, so she would have been alone. So this worked out. But I still miss my mom.

I don't know how many more holidays I will actually celebrate. This disease has kept me from most religious services. I still try to make a turkey on thanksgiving only because I've had it my whole life, but I don't know if I'll be doing it this year. Physically, it's hard for me. And Xmas, I'm alone, so I don't know if I'll do anything for Xmas this year. My life is very empty now.
  9. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm so sorry you have to endure holidays without your mom!
    It was nice, though, that you were able to help your moms' friend on a holiday w/o her daughter.

I've spent at least 1 of every major (& several minor) holidays in the hospital. That royally sux too...
  10. Doober

Doober New Member

Holiday's too much.

The reasoning is that have become too commercialized. Halloween hasn't begun and all you see is half the store decorated in Chrismas stuff..I think Halmark created a few of them to pump up business.

Holidays are meant to relax, reflect and enjoy the time with the family. Not buy the latest funniest cards or go out and buy gifts that you hope you win the family best gift or original gift idea competition....

Almost every month is a national month for something, or a week is a national week for this or that.

Are you all gonna celebrate national "hug your cactus tree" week this year???? How about the great American Flip Off day(Where you get to go around all day and give people the middle finger).....

11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

That was funny!!!! I too think that they are definetly exagerating how many holidays there are, or what they consider Holidays.

Halloween i don't consider a holiday, i just like to think of it as a fun day for kiddos to get free candy and have fun.

I like the old fashioned way of celebrating Easter, Xmas, 4th of July, Mother's Day, Father's Day.

Now if only they can have a FMS Holiday, then I could take off work for that too. LOL.
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am not sure why I feel this way. I use to love holidays but now I can't say hate but more dread.. and I feel the same way about Sundays I get so depressed on holidays and Sundays.
    I just want to go to bed and stay there until they are over, but I put on the act and try to get thru them..

No, you are not the only person, I have been this way as my dd seems to get worse.

God bless,
  13. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

My ex-boy-fiend worked for the state hwy dept. One day, I asked why he wasn't getting ready for work. He said it was a "holiday" (a paid hiliday, btw). To which I quipped: What? It's ARBOR DAY already???

14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, I don't really hate holidays, but they do spark a lot of bad memories from
    childhood. Nowadays I just ignore them.

If you visit the above site you can see Grant Wood's Arbor Day.

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We were all raised on "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver," with a little Norman Rockwell thrown in. Most families are not so ideal in reality but if we were not experiencing those Hallmark moments, we felt we fell outside of "normal." We felt empty and that we were missing something. Every Mothers Day, Fathers Day, birthday or anniversary is an opportunity for disappointment.

Our store is closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I usually end up working a few hours the rest of the holidays. I live alone with no family here so it doesn't matter to me. I just don't get into even the big holidays much anymore. It takes too much energy. I am not envious of those who enjoy the holidays at parties, out boating, or at the beach. I'm glad they enjoy themselves. I am happy to just be alone and resting. We have little cocktail parties every Fri. evening over at the pool if I want to enjoy an evening with neighbors and friends, but I seldom go. I'm not a recluse, just someone who has to carefully balance energy with working part time.

My life probably sounds very boring to many but I'm just so thankful to be able to rest and to be able to work part time that I don't miss holiday celebrations.

Love, Mikie
  16. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

and now it's Memorial Day Weekend....

Good intention there, but another holiday nonetheless...
  17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I really think that holidays are what you make them.
    You don't have to buy into the commercialization of anything. Celebrate or not, depending on what you like to do.

Memorial Day is a day of rememberance. I am so grateful for those who gave their lives and fought for our freedom.

Of course those that had bad 'memories' of holidays past, can certainly be influenced on how they feel about them today. BUT, make your own tradition or not. You don't have to celebrate anything you don't want to.

Memorial Day weekend for me symbolizing the beginning of summer - a nice long holiday weekend for those that work (me), for us, it's a day to laze around. We don't plan big picnics or anything. I love it.

I would just offer that if you dread holidays, do something YOU love to do - ignore what you don't like about them. Maybe you'll look forward to them in the future when you decide what you want to do on that day - it can be anything....eating cereal for dinner, allowing yourself to nap all afternoon....taking a nature walk...going to the movies.
  18. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I agree with what you have said. We have a choice in how or if we celebrate the holidays. If people have bad holiday memories,make good ones. And forget the rest! Move on. The past is the past.That is a choice also. And no one says we have to buy into any of it. But as Janalynn said,make it a day of leisure or time to spend with family or friends or do something you want to do or nothing at all.
  19. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Y'all make a lot of sense!

It's the societal expectation of what is supposed to be experienced & felt (which varies from one holiday to another) that is the source of "holiday stress".

Thanks for all the great replies!

Again, I must restate that when I used the word "hate", I misspoke & used a stronger word than I meant.