Does anybody get relief from ZICAM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachbunnee, Dec 19, 2005.

1. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

just wondering now that flu and cold season is in full swing....

peach
  2. KelB

KelB New Member

I can't help, but I hope somebody can.

All the best to you peach.
  3. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I am very sensitive to medications, so I actually use my son's children's zicam... but it has helped my colds not last long and not be too severe.

My otolaryngologyst suggested it after I had my sinus surgery.

I say give it a try.
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

It does seem to work well, but some people have posted about losing their smell and their are lawsuits against the manufacturers. You can find lots of information by doing a search on Zicam and anosmia.

Jan
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

When I get a cold it always gets me down sick in bed. Then it goes to my chest, then I cough and cough, blah blah blah.

Well, I started getting a cold several weeks ago, and I immediately started using Zicam faithfully according to the directions. Instead of my cold getting worse, every day it started getting better. It was about gone in 3 or 4 days, and for me that's a record!!

I've heard about it making a person lose their sense of smell. That's a concern, but I took the chance.

Kinsie
  6. donna275

donna275 New Member

I bought some this morning because I woke up with a sore throat and didn't want it to spread to my chest and sinus. I'll see if it works.

I bought some Zicam nose spray last year and saw the internet messages about losing sense of smell so I threw it out. However, this a.m., I purchased some that was oral spray. I tastes icky, but I am going to take it as package says.

I'll let you know if it works.

Donna
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I wanted to say that it was the nose spray/gel that caused the problems...they're saying now that zinc is fine in the mouth and throat, but should not be sprayed into the nose because it somehow affects the sense of smell.

So I wouldn't worry about using it to get over a sore throat. I mix a little zinc from my capsules in salt water and gargle with it and have never had any trouble. Just don't inhale :)

Jan[This Message was Edited on 12/20/2005]
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I've used it successfully to ward off colds. I find it burns a bit in my nose, and is a little messy to use, but it does work. I only need to use it a day or two.

I find the swabs give less of a burning feeling than the spray, but with my problem hands I have trouble opening the packages for the individual swabs.

I've not had any problems with decreased sense of smell. I haven't seen the articles on that, but perhaps those people overused it?

I keep it on hand, just in case! Good luck, hope it works for you, too.

Peace,
    Beth.