Does anyone become incapacitated in winter months....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tracii, Aug 25, 2006.

1. tracii

tracii New Member

starting around now. I feel sick just thinking about it. We weren't supposed to be here still, only supposed to be staying with mom for a few months (that was in January!). I'm miserable here & I'm about to become a huge burden on everyone.

I already feel like a prisoner, the only person around me who understands I can't just "will" myself out of all of this. Or that I could do more.

I feel it coming on. All I want to do is sleep, pain gets increasingly worse, I get weaker, I'm able to do less & less. The holidays are ruined, I'm miserable & haven't enjoyed the holidays in years.

I'm absolutely worthless, NO chance of working for a few years now & never in the winter.

Hubby basically promised we wouldn't be here in the winter. If we have to be up here I'd rather stay with hubby's family in PA.

Anyway, does this happen to anyone else???
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Seasonal affective disorder, comes on as the sunlight dwindles. It's more common to start in fall, but it can start in late summer too. I'm pretty bad already. And useless is just how it feels.

I use light therapy and take adrenal glands. Makes it much more bearable.

Jeanne
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've heard that getting outside helps, even when the cloud cover makes it seem you're in a cave. Some of the healthy rays still get thru. Hard to believe, I know.

Another thing I've been hearing about is Vit. D. It seems that 400iu is really minimal, and some people take a lot more. I plan on taking an extra 1,000iu when winter approaches, and my doctor says that's reasonable.

I can't remember all the things I've heard about Vit. D, except that it's really more of a hormone than a vitamin because it's involved in so many processes. So, if you're not getting enough from the sun, it's important to get some, D3 being best.
  4. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Hi Tracii,

I have used one of those SAD lights for going on three years. It really has made a difference for me. I use it in the morning for 30 minutes as I read the paper and eat breakfast. I would definitely recommend trying it.

Hang in there,
    Nancy
  5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I live in So Cal so our winters are mild but I usually am the sickest between October and May, however this year has been unusual.
    This summer I have been very sick and when I went to my Dr he told me that all of his FM patients said the exact same thing I did... That normally they feel worse around the same months as I said and that summer they felt better EXCEPT this year they all felt bad this summer.....how weird is that???
    I think that the weather, barametric pressure and other earthly forces have a strong factor in when we feel bad... sure wish I could figure out what exactly it is though so I can have a better predictor of when to expect my crashes. I have both FM and CFS and also terrible migraines and all of them have been out of control this summer!!
    JL
  6. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I got sick last October,And yes winter was so much worse.I hate winter as it is. Ruthie
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Jeanne seems to have got her winter regime (SAD) right too.

I have to use a powered wheelchair outside, even though I’ve progressed enough to need one indoors a lot less now. In the winter months I make sure I have plenty of layers to keep out the cold, damp, and wind. 2 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of gloves help. Because we’re not moving it’s important to compensate for the lack of increased circulation and body warmth that would occur if walking etc.

Although the lower light levels affect me I realised last winter it was not the major factor, my gas central heating boiler is; have not worked out how to finance a new one and have it installed where it will affect me less. Yearly servicing has not prevented my reaction to this and it’s officially safe. I’m super sensitive to gas burning and other related “chemicals”.

Soon I go away for my first 1 week holiday in a long time, it’s a gift from my parents. The hard bed where I’ll be staying means I need to invest in a mattress topper. Having run out of sleep meds recently, I soon became aware of how much this will help with my bed at home too; spending so many hours awake made me realise my own bed was still making my muscles work, I want them totally supported and relaxed at night.

Vitamin D3 is said to help treat SAD.

I personally do best in the spring and autumn.

TC, Tansy
  8. toughone

toughone New Member

This has been the worst--in and out of flares all Summer long. Usually, I can handle Fall and Winter--maybe because it's my favorite time of year (ever since I was a kid) or maybe because it's easier for me to make myself comfortable.

In Summer, I can't get comfortable. But in the Fall and Winter, I wear sweatshirts or sweaters to keep warm, I make a lot of homemade soups with my daughter, I wear ThermaCare heat wraps on my most painful spots (these are a true life-saver!), and I can fool even myself into believing that when I am couch-bound for the day because of too much pain, that I'm really just curling up with a good book or watching a movie with my kids.

Hope I gave you a few good tips about surviving Winter--I hope you have a happier and healthier Holiday Season...

Take good care of yourself...

Bonny
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

tracii:

I have fallen twice outside on my property.
    A boy in the neighborhood digs me out, but still I am unsteady with ice, etc.

Luckily my homeowners policy covers these kind of accidents.

Now, I watch what I do. During the Winter I do not take my walk around the block each day.

The last thing I want is a broken hip, so yes:I am somewhat incapacitated during the Winter months.

nyrofan
  10. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I love reading the different topics on the message boards here and have gotten information and encouragement for quite a while from many people who post. That said -

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade or blow out the flickering candle of hope for some people, but I just have to comment on this topic..... the "I just know I'd feel better if I lived somewhere else".

Mainly I'm addressing you folks who live in colder climes who always think living in a hotter place would do the trick. Ain't gonna happen. Ya know how in the winter in the North you are trapped inside a lot and the cold goes on and on often into what should be the Spring? ( I do - I lived the first 24 years of my life in Connecticut). The last 34 have been spent in Georgia and I'm here to tell you - summer here is equivalent to your winter entrapment. For at least four or five months a year - especially for people with certain illnesses and conditions - you are trapped in an air-conditioned box . Day after day, week after week - it is too sickeningly hot to even make it to the mailbox or fill the birdfeeders or just plain sit outside. And if it's not the horrible heat and humidity it's the bad air quality - especially around places like Atlanta and Charlotte - and the bugs.

I have always said it's a lot easier to get warmer than to cool off when the high heat and humidity goes on and on and on and on................

Being trapped inside and going crazy doesn't necessairly go hand in hand with a cold climate. Be careful what you wish for. The ongoing heat can make you want to scream and is quite depressing. You can only read so many hours a day and TV is not that thrilling and my bank account can only accomodate so many DVD purchases. Personally, I dream of snow.

Harrysmom

Harrysmom
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hmmmmmm. Except for having difficulty getting out some wintery days and dealing with the isolation you mean? In some ways it seems that winter is easier because I can cocoon with less guilt. Then about February I start getting too good at cocooning and have to rouse myself with great difficulty.

Sounds as if you have a bad case of the dreads. Let's all go to Hawaii for the winter.

And meanwhile boost your vitamin D!

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Northwest Montana is a challenging place to live in the wintertime!!

The Pain level is sky high starting around the End of october when the Temp drops below freezing! and stays there for about 5 months! plus we get alot of snow!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It actually has to warm up to snow up here so that means there is a reprive in the painlevel for me sometimes in the winter! ....................I stay home alot! and Take alot of hot Baths! Like Marta said .................................It's a cocooning time !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The four seasons are so nice up Here Just don't think i could live anywhere eles!!....................................I guess it's all about How you learn to manage your Pain, in each climate.,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  13. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I have no idea why my body goes through these same cycles each year but starting around now I begin to decline too!!!

I begin to get severe viral symptoms, fever, aches, severe decrease in energy and needing more than 10 hours sleep. This all begins in late August. By September, it's full blown and the fevers do not end until December. Each year I think it's going to be different and it's not.

I'm not sure it's something you can actually "prepare" for....at least I haven't found anything to make the ride better/different.

If I could move, I would. In the meantime, I'm checked for seasonal allergies every single Fall.....I've yet to find the culprit.

I hope you're able to return to warm climate....scapper
  14. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and it's tough throgh the rainy season.I have to agree with her that thw barometric pressure was wacky this summer.Linda
  15. skirkham

skirkham New Member

tracii, winters are usually bad for me too but this year summer for me has been horible. I haven't found out why. I also have both fibro and CFS. I have tried the swimming pool, and food and tub soaks, but nothing has worked. Just to think about walking down the hall by bed time to change or shower makes me want to cry. Usually by the end of the day I cant write very well, I have to drink from a straw and my husband has to carry my glass of water to my bed side table. If it wasn't for him these last 6.5 years, I really dont know what I would have done. Now that the kids are 13 and 11, they really have pitch in and pull alot of weight.
    skirkham
  16. tracii

tracii New Member

I have been dx'x with SAD in the past & I have dealt with the hot summers in the south. I would just avoid going outside during the middle of the day & I always carry a jacket with me because the air conditioning gets too cold in some places.

My doctor feels the warmer weather will be better for me.

I've always done better when I tanned regularly too. Have to look into the light boxes.

Glad to hear some of you go thru the same thing. For years I pretended that the previous years didn't happen & that this year will be better.

I miss all the Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas fun. Hubby says we are going to go down south at the end of the month.

He has to apply for jobs, we have to see about housing, etc. We were not supposed to be here for the cold season. I'm mad & miserable just thinking about it!

So glad I have everyone on this board, no matter what the issue - I'm never alone. :)
  17. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Traci: I have to tell you it's so nice to hear that someone else thinks the same way as I do.

I too would try to deny that things were THAT bad and always think the following year would be better. To the point of being shocked when it wasn't.....then depressed.

Some people think I sound too negative when I say that every Fall I feel horrible.....as if I'm bringing it on myself......I don't think so! I'm slowly learning that "it is was it is" and I'm tired of banging my head against the wall trying to change it.

Anyway, rambling :) Just nice to hear I'm not alone in this craziness :)

Best of luck moving South!!!!

Scapper
  18. tracii

tracii New Member

Yes, I to am beginning to accept things as the way they are. I hate it & it's not like I'm giving up.

I just get more upset when I set myself up for a fall.

I think hubby STILL thinks it a "mind over matter" thing - if only that were true!!!

I hear how "it's because of all the meds I'm on" then later in the same conversation switching my Serzone was brought up & the attitude is like, oh great, now I'll have to deal with that (my hubby, not me!)

Ack! I swear, whatever I need to hear or try to get the support I need, he says/does the exact opposite! Like he's teaching me a lesson or something - so confusing. I guess everyone deals with stress in their own way.

Oops. Now I'm babbling! I do have a sinking feeling since we haven't gotten down south this year so far that we will be spending the winter here, with my family.

Btw, I'm not in a wheelchair - I think someone mentioned that above, just wanted to clear that up!

Thanks to all & if anyone else has this issue I'd love to hear from you!
  19. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Stand firm on what is best for you!

What doesn't work out the way you would like, do your best to accept it as it is.

Most of all, HANG IN THERE.....being sick is not easy!!!!

SCAPPER