does anyone believe in echinacea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by young_gran44, Aug 15, 2005.

1. young_gran44

young_gran44 New Member

when i first had a serious bout of cebv (which i really think is cfs),a friend of my moms said i should take echinacea, i did, but really cannot remember if it gave much relief. i am sssooooo tired now, i just want to crawl in a hole and sleep for about 3 months
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I could not believe they were saying it didn't work. Anytime my family begins to feel sick, we take echinacea and the symptoms disappear.

The only thing I can figure is they didn't use the right amount. From what I have experienced with herbs, you have to take more to get well. When I'm sick, I take 2 capsules every 4 hours. I doubt they used that much.

The bottom line is, our family has not had colds and flu very often.

Sandy
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have seen her get short term colds that have knocked her dh out for a week or more. He won't take it. She also uses it for her 7yo son.
    I think that like anything these days...it has value if it works for you!
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I stand by it as well. I have not done what one said about taking more if you get sick, but I will try it next time I get sick, but I have used it to ward off a cold or shorten the duration of one if I get it.

I have not had a cold in so long I can't remember when the last one was. If my daughter gets one, or strep throat, etc, I start taking it right away with my morning meds. I take one, once a day.

Sonya
  5. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Anytime I feel a cold or a sore throat coming on I take lots of echinachea and go to sleep early and my cold has usually run its course in a few days. That is great because my colds used to last for like 1 to 2 weeks before I started taking the echinachea.
  6. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Echinacea is a miracle herb for keeping colds and other viruses away. I use a combination of that and goldenseal. I prefer Echinacea Angustafolia instead of Purpurea. I think it works much better. It is more expensive than Purpurea which is more common but I go with what works for me. I is also a good blood purifier. I grow it myself and just use the root. There is also the Padilla which is not a potent as Angustafolia. Most native Americans will only use Angustafolia. So if you are going to purchase it find the best and do a little research. PITA
  7. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Echinacea is part of my arsenal to combat colds. We use

1/2 dropper of echinacea 3 times a day
    1 teaspoon Sambucol 4 times a day
    1 tablespoon collodial silver 4 times a day
    1 olive leaf extract pill
    several zinc lozenges

at the first sign of a cold and have managed to side step many this way.

best wishes.........foxglove
  8. ckahele

ckahele New Member

how do you use the roots of echinacea?

i know it's a perennial but mine hasn't come back in such big amounts that i can pull it up by the roots and have much left for next year.

what's your secret?
    cyndy
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take it with Goldenseal, vitamin C, and zinc when I have a cold or allergies. It does seem to help. If it's a placebo effect, I'll take it. Help is help.

Love, Mikie