Does Anyone Believe In 'Seasonal' Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Oct 25, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I swear, I am so annoyed by this! I can be going along my merry way, feeling preety good for months--and BOOM! mid-October comes around, and it all starts all over again--aches, pains, headdaches, fogginess, not sleeping restfully, etc. This year has started again, not nearly as bad as the first year in 2006, but here again nevertheless. I now know what to do to make myself a bit more comfortable, but does anyone get hit like this at a specific time of the year? This is like clockwork, and for me, just a bit scary.

2. Spacey

Spacey Member

I don't believe in seasonal fibro, but I do believe that weather patterns can affect it, by puttting one in flares. I feel the weather affects me also, but, really have to deal with this all year round. Spacey
  3. steach

steach Member

I don't know if there is such a thing as "seasonal" FM, but, for me, I hurt worse when the weather is cooler/cold.

Usually in hotter months, I find that the CFIDS is worse. I will still have some pain but not as severe as the cold months.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

What happens mid-October? Are there additional life-stresses that pile up for you, triggering a flare?

Otherwise, consider the possibility that there may be some other logical reason for the seasonal increase in pain. Three aspects of everyday life that influence most of us during fall are:

1) The increase in cold weather

2) The decrease in natural light

3) The increase in interior home moisture levels (due to condensation) and decreased ventilation.

Each of these factors has potential to increase fibro pain. As temperature drops, the body's need for active, free, unbound thyroid hormone increases. If levels are borderline -- or normal, yet insufficient for one's own physiology -- muscle & tendon pain can abound. The tests that will yield the most helpful information are FREE T3 and FREE T4. If results are in the bottom quartile(or lower) of the ref range, a trial of low-dose thyroid hormone replacement may be a reasonable experiment to discuss with one's HCP.

Some of us experience reduced levels of serotonin and other neurotransmitters with the decreased sunlight of the fall & winter season. The neurotransmitter changes affect our pain perception, usually in a negative way. For those who live in "Gray" climates -- as well as in cold/bundle up well climates, there is the double whammy of less opportunity for natural vitamin D manufacture via sunlight. Low vitamin D levels increase pain.

Increased home moisture levels may promote increased levels of mold within our dwellings. The airborne toxins given off by molds can be toxic to both muscle and nervous systems. And that is true for all family members, however the PWF may be most sensitive. In addition, less fresh air into the home usually results in buildup of off-gassed toxins from all sorts of stuff -- cleaning compounds, HABA products, furniture, kitchen cabinets, toys, electronics, Tupperware, etc. Even the airborne chlorine & fluoride in steam from showers, dishwashers & laundry builds up and can cause grief.

Fortunately there are reasonable "fixes" to help improve or mitigate each of these factors. Anyone who suffers a fall/winter increase in fibro pain has opportunity to benefit by evaluating whether or not these factors may apply.

I'm not talking about curing fibro here, however from personal experience I know that environmental factors CAN sometimes contribute to our pain, and many times they can be "chipped away" at, with resulting decrease in discomfort and increase in "living."

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 10/26/2009]
  5. turquoise

turquoise Member

Could be mold from dying leaves and vegetation which tends to peak in the North and South East in October. It's been especially bad this year where I live in Tn. because all it has done is RAIN!
  6. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I feel worse when its too hot and I feel way worse when its under 60 degrees... My body just cant tolerate cold.. If the wind is blowing hard (possible front coming in). I am in more pain..
    Living in AZ, summer temps are in the 110s all summer... I am so beat from it I seldom leave the house..either early or late is when I do any outdoor errands... I have a swimming pool I hardly used this year.. Just too hot... then over xmas last year I felt like I would never warm up.. I wore thermals and jeans and 2 sweaters and a parka and it was only 45 degrees! LOL
    I was caring for my friends horses and dogs and had to be outside a bit...I thought I would never make it
    I was also DXed with seasonal affective disorder also.. I think I have had that forever.. Growing up inChicago...I would just dread the winter.. I would spark up when the sun was out and the temps hit 70...
  7. munch1958

munch1958 Member

and Vitamin D3. I think less sunlight is a major factor in the annual fall flair.

Btw, the Stop the thyroid madness website also mentions that most need additional thyroid meds in the winter. It's a great site if you haven't checked it out yet.
  8. cerise

cerise New Member

NO! Nor does any medical professional. Check out Dr. Robert Bennett & Sharon Clark's Oregon Fibromyalgia Foundation (
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i do better in the summer.....but only slightly....i definately notice a change at the end of august...(I live in northern usa)....

i can see how you might feel it is seasonal if you feel lots better in the summer....

10. cerise

cerise New Member

I'm sure the weather does affect our fibro, but that does not make it a seasonal. You have fibro year round, & some times of year are better than others, just as some days are better than others. For example, compare your fibro to "seasonal allergies", which occur during certain seasons but not all year round. Hope that made sense!