does anyone belong to a fibromyalgia or pain support group?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gidet, Jul 8, 2008.

1. gidet

gidet New Member

I want to start a fm and pain support group and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me? One of my doctors suggesting that I do this for me and for my community.

Tammy
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I found mine through a local hospital on their website. Perhaps you could contact your hospital and find out what you would need to do to do to have a support group listed.

Also you could post a notice in your doctors office listing date, time and location of a new support group.

Between this on line support group and my local support group I feel so, so lucky to have supportive people to turn to, and also to be supportive to those that may need my help.

Good luck...its a lot of work!
    Deb

3. gidet

gidet New Member

Thanks for ansewing my posts but I was wonder if anyone else could help me. Thanks

Tammy
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

The one I belonged to when in Eureka Springs AR always had a guest speaker so that is something you may want to consider. This seemed to draw more people.
  5. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

I have looked into forming one myself.
    I was told your local arthritis society has information packages for setting them up.
    I was also told the norm for a support group is to, spend a certain amount of time going over new meds and how they've helped, tips on helping with pain and taking members suggestions, sometimes there's guest speakers, dietary advice, and of course hearing each others stories/problems.
  6. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Tammy:

I used to help lead one in Illinois years ago. The Arthritis Foundation puts on a training seminar to lead them.

Ours was great, and when the 8 weeks ended we all remained friends and did outings monthly for years. I moved to Arizona and have not found one like that here.

Good luck with it, you'll enjoy it.

M J
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Not well enough to attend one and the closest one is pretty far away.

But I wish you luck with starting one. It is a lot of work so please make sure you take care of yourself first.

I belong to two online groups and once in a while I attend an autism parents group.

The Dallas Fort Worth group as well a group in the Carolinas may be willing to mentor you to get your started.

You could also check with CFIDS assoc. of america and see if someone can help you get started.

Marti
  8. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

I've been going to my support group for about 7 years now. I've made some great friends there.

We usually go around the room and each person (if they want to) tells how he/she is doing, if anything new is working for them, or just to cry on another's shoulder who actually knows what you're going through. We've seen people so down they could barely hold their head up and then a year or two later they are doing better. With this nasty disease, you never know.

We meet once a month at a local church. This month we are going to have our "inside picnic" where we bring what we can to share. We do it inside because many of us can't stand the humidity & heat here in Ohio. We also do about the same thing at Christmas. We do have guest speakers but not every month. It seems some months we just need to connect to each other.

I hope this helps and you get a group going. If you are the type of person that is helped by others then it is for you. Some people just don't want to let other people know how sick they are, so they don't do groups well.

Judy
  9. gidet

gidet New Member

thanks for all of the information