Does Anyone Belong To Medic Alert?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pianowoman, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to belong to Medic Alert or something similar. It was recommended in a recent book I read about CFS/FM. I take some meds that should not be stopped quickly and I guess I could get into difficulty if I couldn't tell anyone. Does anyone do this?

Thanks
    Kathy
  2. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

I have wondered about this on many occasions, but because meds only work slightly well and many are changed so often, I have never done so, but I do keep a current card with meds and dosages in my wallet w/ emergency #s, Dr.s #s etc.
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I belong to medic alert...was told to sign up when I started ENBREL and metformin for diabetes. Apparently, you can really save yourself some serious trouble by having something on you that clearly identifies your medical issues. I did NOT know that it can be updated, or that you can list your meds? I will look into it. I think that it costs something like $35.00 per year or something, so I am guessing that it is a service that should be fully utilized.

I will look into it and let you know. Oh, I do not normally wear the bracelet, but I do have a card in my wallet, as well as list of current meds with my license.

Ingrid
  4. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I've been using Medic Alert for a little over 2 years now.

I wear my bracelets 24/7 and they've saved me on more then one occasion.

Everytime I go into the hospital; whether I can talk or not - they always take my member # from my bracelet. I keep my records updated, all medical conditions and medications - even all of my over the counter stuff that I use. It wasn't until I became a member that I found how how many prescription medications, or emergency medications that the hospital uses that might interact with something as simple as an antihistamine, or peptobismol etc.

Also, when I haven't been with family and have been taken into the hospital - it's been the only way they've known of some of my anaphylactic medical allergies.

When it comes to my Medic Alert, I'd fight anyone trying to take it away from me!

~Amanda
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Thanks for your replies about this. I think I am going to look into it. It's an important issue.

Kathy.
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Forgot to mention that with Medic Alert you can log into your profile right online and update all your member info. If your having problems finding your meds, they have a really helpful search tool. It's unusually easy! Also, once you've changed any of your information - a new updated wallet card is mailed out to you. I usually get mine within 3 days of updating my profile. A little over a year ago I asked if they could send me 2 extra wallet cards (one for my mother and one for my boyfriend, just incase I was with one of them and couldn't access mine) and now they automatically send me extras everytime.

They're also very helpful when it comes to the actual bracelet. I had bought my bracelet with my medical conditions for about $85CAD (I got a sports band) and within 2 months, I needed to change the medical conditions listed on my bracelet. They very easily allowed me to order only an emblem, and I only had to pay $20.

They're member services are very prompt, and very accomadating - and it's all included in the membership.

~Amanda
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

DearKthy,
    Yes, I belong to Medic Alert, and I have for 13 years. I think it is well worth it, because, even if a person carries theiur medical information in ther purse, many hospitale wont even look for it. Whereas, a bracelet, is hard to miss.

Good luck,
    Terry
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I appreciate all the really helpful responses to this. I hope, too, that this may motivate some others to think about this. It sounds like a very 'user-friendly' organization as well as one that can save lives.

Kathy.
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Excellent post!

I have been looking at the website and definitely going to become a member.

Never gave it too much thought before, but it is good for the peace of mind.

Thanks,
    Sue in Ontario