Does anyone cheat on their candida diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mollystwin, Jun 17, 2006.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

And if so, what are the ramifications? Do you get ill? Do your candida symptoms return?
    I am so tired of this diet, I just want to eat a slice of pizza. Or ten. I can do without the processed foods and sugar, candy etc. But I really would like a juicy cheeseburger or glass of wine once in a while! It's been four months, I still test that I have it. I have been pretty faithful to the diet, but I do eat some whole grains occasionally and some milk on my oatmeal without problems. How long does this take? FFC says six months to a year. Does anyone ever really get rid of it?
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I just went to the website and it looks like there ar tons of great recipes there! There are some ingredients in the recipes I have never heard of like vegetable glycerin, but I can't wait to try some of these. I'll do more searching tomorrow.
    Thank you so much!!
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes, I cheated. I did not last 3 days on the candida diet. It seemes awful strict. I never knew that yeast was in so many things. It is very hard to stick to any diet for me much less this one. I always feel like I am depriving myself on a diet and starving to death.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006</i>]
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Would love to hear from those who felt all the effort paid off . . .and exactly what protocol they followed, as this IS hard to follow.

Also, are there some out there who really followed the course and didn't get much pay-off?
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I cheat on ALL diets!!!!! LOL
  6. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

i have been on the candida diet for 5weeks, my stomache has been pain free for 7 days. hardly any bloating and no pain. i have lost weight and i am so happy to have no stomach pain. i have read a book on ibs which has you use nut flower to make bread, and muffins, i do use a slight bit of honey for cooking recipies only. i use recipies from the site prickles told you of and a ibs sight look up breaking the vecious cycle, the book has web sights and recipies you can use with the candida diet, and it offers other sights. lots pf recipies online keep you going. it is worth it, blizzybear
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Blizzybear, I also felt so much better when I began the diet. And I do continue to feel better, so I guess it is worth it!! It's just that it's been 4 months now and it seems like forever since I could eat regular stuff. I know I can never return to my old habits, but it will be nice to eat pizza and cake once in a while. I have heard stories of people getting the candida back as soon as they go off the diet but maybe they ate too much junk. I am hoping to hear from someone who got rid of this for good.
    Anyone out there???
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I first learned about Candida in 1982 -- I was extremely strict for about 10 years - and perfect for the first 3 years.

- the first time I 'broke' it I had some chocolate. (Have to say that it tasted every bit as good as I remembered it, unlike all the rest of the sweets... and pizza and wine get included in the same category. Altho Iwill say the cravings go away after a while, it helps to be really motivated.)

I was highly motivated tho because I had really bad endometriosis and would get terrible cramping that would have me rolling on the floor for 6 hours at a time - and wouuld occur at anytime. I did not want to take the hormones after reading about the side effects - seemed as bad as the endo! - and didn't want a hysterectomy as I wanted to get pregnant. ANd I didn't want that pain back ever!

The diet eliminated my pain (along with the use of Nystatin (RX) - AND within 3 months of starting it I was finally pg. I kept at it because I wanted to ensure a healthy pregnanacy; after giving birth, I then had to eat even stricter :(( because my daughter had colic and food allergies were suspected... By that time it was routine for me, and I kept at diet to get pg the 2nd time and thru nursing as well...

Between pg and nursing and the diet, I felt the best ever!

What kept me in line was simple fear of pain for the most part... and it still does, altho I do 'cheat' more now - but carefully!

And there are certain foods that I have to be extra-hypervigilant about still as I can still get endometriosis symptoms from them, even tho I'm in menopause now - and it's the yeast/mold foods, ie, bread, cheese, wine.

I dont think it has much to do with my CFIDS tho... but always have to recognize it as a definite 'contributing factor'.

Other than the endo cramps (those were major!), I did not have any other types of pain...

but I did meet a woman with endo who could barely walk; had to walk with canes because of shooting pains down her legs. When she got on the diet, all those pains went away, and that was without eliminating fruit.

Hope this helps to inspire... it can help with all types of pain, plus energy for many. In my opinion one reason it may help with energy is because one may be hypoglycemic. That was something I already knew I was when I learned about Candida, and was working at keeping that diet anyway - lots of overlaps.

all the best,

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006</i>]
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think a big part of the problem is the word "diet". It suggests - and is often correct! - that we're being deprived of things we love. What we need to focus on is the more healthful way of eating and not see it as a punishment to be frustratingly tolerated for awhile. And remember, we never totally get rid of yeast and we don't want to. The right amount is part of a good, healthy digestive system.

How about having that big juicy hamburger, only without the bun? But no wine, whole grains or milk because they all either convert to sugar or have sugar in them.

I did go on the Candida diet although I was told that you can't get rid of yeast through diet alone. You also need a "yeast killer" of which there are several good ones. I assume you're taking one as well as plenty of probiotics. I was also told that if I cheated, I'd have to begin at Day 1. Believe me, I didn't cheat.

I did feel better for a time until I went back to my old habits of eating a lot of simple sugars and too many carbs for my body. I believe that some of us just can't eat those things with FM. I think we need to be supporting our bodies with lean proteins, veggies and fruits. At least I'm seeing a difference. Think about it, how can we be healthy when our bodies have junk to work with? (I think of the sign outside of the local health food store that says, If you don't take care of your body, where will you live?)

Think healthy eating plan, not mean ole diet and maybe, just maybe it will help. ;>) Hang in there.

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Wow. That's a long time to be so good with your eating! I feel like a wimp now! I didn't know that candida was related to endometriosis. Thanks for the reply.
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Yes, I am taking diflucan along with this "diet". And you are correct that I should really consider this to be healthy eating, not a diet. I go to FFC and the list of foods I can eat includes a very limited amount of whole grains, so I do eat them occasionally. And I also eat hamburgers without the buns! Not quite the same, but still tastes OK.
  12. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I do not usually diet either, Just try to eat healthy. I spent too many years when I was younger eating junk and that's what got me into this candida predicament. I really do feel much better now that I have this more under control. My sinus's are much better, so is IBS, bloating etc. And my brain fog and fatigue. So I should stop being such a baby and suck it up and stick to what is good for me. The main problem I have with this candida food plan is that there are so many things I consider to be healthy when eaten in moderation that are forbidden on the diet.

I did a little cheat today. I had a baby frosty, one of the tiny ones that come in the kids meals. Now it's out of my system and I can continue with whats good for me.
    And I have those recipes that Prickles recommended!
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

one thing that helped was just realizing after a lot of reading that it has gotten to the point where a lot of 'modern' food is poison in a way, really.

Our diets have been changed so much in the past 100+ years with so many additives etc... not saying I never eat 'junk' mind you I'm only human, but sparingly...

We have over 100 chemicals in our body that were not there 100 years ago - some from food and water, some from environment... probably helping to suppress our immune systems.

My daughter's boyfriend suddenly became allergic to many foods, ended up in ER several times, had to eliminate almost everything. He is doing all right now, but still on a limited diet. For him too, any cravings quickly disappeared when he had that fear of an allergic reaction to something.

One thing tho, he remarked that all the pain in his feet and legs had disappeared - he'd thought it was just from standing all day at his job (of all things, he was a cook) - but now realizes it was part of allergies or -- ?

(Not only has he had to majorly change his diet, he had to find a new profession, poor guy!)

Good luck - halfway is better than not doing it at all. It helps to just keep reading about it, and as you start to see changes it often helps!

14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I do feel that way most times, that food is like good medicine. I buy as much organic food as I can for my family and even the others in my family rarely eat sugar anymore, and when they do it is the unprocessed kind. We eat Lauras lean meat without antibiotics and hormones, and amish chicken without hormones or antibiotics. We eat organic veggies, fruits, eggs etc. We avoid foods with added chemicals and other food additives like MSG, etc. My boys eat only whole grain bread and hamburger buns.
    I guess I got a little frustrated, especially with all the treats at work and everyone asking me "Why can't you eat this stuff? I don't get it" I get so tired of explaining!
    And my birthday is Thursday and I can't even eat my own birthday cake!
  15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

That's quite a story about your daughter's boyfriend. I react strongly to certain food additives especially artificial sweetners. They make my body go numb and it's quite frightening. Most people including my dr do not believe me when I tell them this! I'm glad the pain in his legs is gone and that he figured out what was causing it!
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Great Idea!! Much better than cake. Maybe I'll get a pedicure too.
    Thanks for your input!
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

but with our modern advances and supposed accumulation of knowledge, I guess I expect it all to be used at least in supposedly 'advanced' modern civilizations like ours is supposed to be.

What a great world this would be if it were!

So while abx do definitely save lives, tho, it also does kill off beneficial abx in our bodies and so forth - there always seems to be a side effect of all our advances that often don't get corrected for unfortunately. It seems to be true in most industries.

Someone was saying on TV that the kids today for the first time in US are not expected to live as long as their parents for the first time... IF that is true, something is really out of whack.

all the best,

18. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have been diagnosed with systemic Candida infection, which is a body wide fungal infection. That's why I am on the candida diet. It's not like I am allergic to these foods it;s because they "feed" the candida albicans and increase the infection. It's fairly common for those with CFS and Fibro to have this condition. The diet is very strict and eliminates sugar, refined flours and foods. Basically all we can eat is meat, eggs, veggies and nuts. Carbs especially simple carbs, feed the candida.
  19. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

How are you tested for it?
  20. victoria

victoria New Member

but if you look at Dr. Crook's book about it (Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook) you will learn a lot about it -

you can also search online, there are lots of sites about it.

Many have it because it's caused by a disruption of the normal flora/fauna in our gut - from taking abx.

hope thathelps,