Does anyone clean house anymore?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaymac, Aug 7, 2006.

1. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I'm not able to do simple housework. I do still work fulltime, but housework I can't seem to manage. First of all, finding the motivation or energy, but second thing is if I do dust, straighten, do laundry, I seem to wind up on the couch the rest of weekend?? Same with shopping, but I am used to a clean house. Gets depressing at times. I used to spend Saturdays cleaning and making the house smell so good. I guess those days are over!

kaymac
  2. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

I guess I had to prioritize things, and the house is the last thing, .../
    I use to have a perfect house,, now thats the past, I despise it.... Sometimes I get help every six months or so, but its not what it used to be.
    blessings,
    Iggy
  3. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I rarely clean the house. It really frustrates me because I hate living this way. I don't have many spoons to spare. (Read: "The Spoon Theory" post)

I wish I could find someone to clean our home... someone that I trust who also doesn't charge much. Maybe I'll do some calling around tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Even if I had someone come in for one hour a week at 10 or 15 dollars, that would be worth it. In that one hour they could scrub a couple of floors, next week they could vacuum the carpets and scrub a bathroom, next week they could clean the mini blinds and fans, etc.

Before we hire someone we'd have to get the house cleaned up enough so we're not TOO embarrassed and the hired help isn't TOO disgusted. I do want her to come back and clean again after all LOL
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I can't do it either. I told my husband as long as I worked I couldn't do it anymore. He has been a big help.

I've always felt a big achievemnt just getting my laundry done on the weekend.

After 30 years of this downhill slide I am finally going on long term disability. I've been working part-time the past two months to train others and hand off my duties and am so exhausted when I'm off I can hardly move.

Hope I can do a little more around the house once I'm done.

Take care,
    Susan
  5. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

i have 4 kids, and if i dont do some \cleaning my house would be beyond my control and i cant have my kids living like that.

is my house really spot less absolutly not, is every room dusted, absolutley not, i try to do some of that stuff here and there.

if i have a bad day and the house looks like a tornado hit it oh well, at least its not filth. for my condition its not bad. but i would rather spend more time with the kids then cleaning

i am working on prioritizing
  6. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I'd also like to mention that not everyone's illness is the same. My sister has Fibro like me but mine is worse. It's not that she is a stronger person or is more motivated than I to do things... I am simply sicker than her. Thus, she keeps her house MUCH cleaner than I keep mine.

Some of us have pain and fatigue that is bothersome, and some of us have pain and fatigue so bad we are wheelchair bound.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Kaymac, you are working fulltime, that is amazing in and of itself. I used to get my kids to help out, but now they're grown and moved out...

my DH does the heavy stuff, I can manage to straighten and dust. Imperative as we are trying to sell our house.

It has gotten a lot easier in the past 6 months, thankfully, since the womn we hired to watch over my MIL (she has dementia and can't be left alone for more than a few minutes, literally) does quite a bit now of the daily stuff or we'd have had to hire someone to come in and clean weekly by now, I think. I can change off with the 'companion' to let her do stuff I don't have the energy for.

I'd like to share my favorite poem with you, I don't know who wrote it, but it reflects my overall philosophy (at least before we put the house on the market):

Dust If You Must

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
    to paint a picture or write a letter,
    bake a cake or plant a seed,
    ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
    with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
    music to hear and books to read,
    friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world is out there
    with the sun in your eyes and the wind in your hair,
    a flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
    This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
    old age will come and it's not kind.
    And when you go-- and go you must --
    you, yourself will make more dust!

~
    While I don't have the energy to climb mountains or swim rivers, it is nice to have the energy to occasionally see friends/family etc!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

My first reaction to this question was to laugh because my house is in such a state right now! I used to be so picky over it being clean that I couldn't even stand for one thing to be out such as mail, clutter etc. It literally looks like it has been hit by a tasmanian devil right about now. It seems to get that way in one day so I sometimes let it sit that way for weeks. I keep hoping one day the husband and daughter will get sick of the mess and clean it up. LOL! My husband keeps the laundry room clean. That is his sore point for some reason. The rest of the house can be awful, but if the laundry room which no one ever sees is clean he is happy. At least he is doing something. LOL!

I will hopefully have a day once a month that I get enough energy and sick of the mess enough that I go all out and clean. I am then sick as a dog worse after it. I am afraid that a time will come that I won't be able to ever do it.

PS kay I love it when the house smells good and looks good. It is such a peaceful good feeling.
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have the most wonderful husband in the world. since i work 4 days a week, and pretty much that means my life is work and sleep. my huband who is a musician who works from home does all the cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping. i don't know what i would do without him. i'm to tired after working to do any housework and he seems to understand that. he's amazing.
    rachel
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

From everyome I have talked to about this....all over the country. Average fee is $10.00 to $15.00 an hr. Some will go as little as $8.00 an hr. but they are usually not as good.

Check around. I found my first one that also worked as a maid at a local hotel/ She liked making a little more money a week.

When she quit, (due to family obligations), she gave me a name of someone that was her supervisor. She is still with me amd I tip her and also sometimes have her do some extra things that I will pay more for. I give her $10.00 hr. and she comes once a week for 2 hrs. Some times more.

She is so good, I wished I could pay her more, she is worth it. She will even go outside and pull weeds and plant flowers and things I never asked her to do. She is my Angel!

She would do laundry and all if I wanted her to. Washes my windows on the outside!!!!!!!
    I do lots, but heavy stuff is impossible for me anymore.

Ask around. My sister in law told another lady at church about my lady and she now has her also and is happy with her. This lady also has fibro and cfids, lady at church I mean. So we were new contacts for exchanging info also.

IF we can get help it helps to live in a less cluttered home. Makes us feel more in control of something....lol. Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  11. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Since I am sick and spent the majority of my time in my home IT MUST BE CLEAN and organized...

The only time it won't be is when they put me in the ground...I am a clean freak to the point it's sometimes no fun to be around me...I feel it's my duty to keep my house acceptable to live in comfortably...

I sometimes use my only reserved energy to vaccuum but that gives me pleasure too, I have always loved to clean and of course love the outcome...

For me a clean house is a priority...I would rather use my energy to keep my house clean than to shop or travel or anything else for that matter...

This post reminds me of when I first became unwell...I was sent to a rehab hospital as an outpatient where they take into account all your strengths and weaknesses and try to make you 'pace' yourself...The evaluating psych took a piece of crumpled paper and threw it on the floor to get my reaction...He asked that I leave it there for the entire session...It drove me nuts! He told me I needed to learn to let these things go in my life, It's okay to be less orderly and not so perfect...I fought him the whole way and finally he gave up on his attempt to change my cleaning habits...

A clean surrounding is part of who I am and I'm not changing for anyone...I may do things less often and now a few days go in between vaccuuming because it wipes me out and triggers inflammtion BUT it still gets done...

Are there people who are able to help you keep your house clean? Maybe you can have some kind of schedule that you make up to do one room a day just to keep it orderly and not so irritating OR like someone else said, hire someone to do the heavy work...

I am getting fogged out now I amforgetting what I am writing about so I'll stop for now...

Have a good day and I hope you find a solution to keep your home as comfy as you like it...
  12. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I've decluttered, have some decorative things around but not on every open space. I have a house with a yard that is difficult to maintain. I would love to move to a condo, but the time has not felt right, and am not sure where I should relocate if I were to do so, so have decided my priority is in keeping things repaired so the property maintains its value, rather than super clean, if that has to be a choice.

I would love to have a clean house. I am not comfortable having people over. Just have not managed to keep things in order the way I would like -- mind clutter and severe energy problems.
  13. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hardly ever! I do the basics. Laundry, groceries, and 52 pick up. My kids vacuum. Once and a while Swiffer the floor.
    My house used to be so clean too. Sad.....but true.

Michelle
  14. jjdg

jjdg New Member

Thank you so much,I "HAD" a spotless home,one time long ago. I got rid of the clutter but still have a hard time keeping up,i hate doing dishes i even have a stool to sit on but my arms and hands start hurting, so i use as much paper and plastic as possible.mopping and sweeping,hell no,i do that i'm down for the count,my husband, sometimes helps,but "he works all week and your home" attitude sucks,my grand kids help as much as they can and my daughter helps when she can between her work,3 kids and she was DX with fibro too.just typing here hurts but after finding this board i can't stay away,its gotten me addicted!! Just to know i'm not alone or crazy,weeeellll,not as crazy :)
    janet
  15. IowanMom

IowanMom New Member

When I was working I had some ladies come in and clean for me. They were wonderful! ~ Doing everything from the basic dusting and vaccuming to doing the ceiling fans, wiping off fronts of kitchen cupboards, baseboards, and the gross bathroom, etc.
    There were 2-3 women that came at one time and they would be here for a couple of hours. They charged me $65 per time. I thought that was cheap considering there was more than one person and they traveled 20 miles to come clean my house (I live in a small town).

I have recently quit my job. Therefore, no more cleaning ladies. But my husband, daughters, and son-in-law are wonderful. We usually pick one day (usually every 2 weeks) and we clean. We divide up the duties. If I don't feel like doing it I don't.

Best of luck. Just remember that the most important thing is to take care of yourself. It doesn't matter what your house looks like.
    My motto is: A house is just a house. A home is what you make it.
  16. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I am unable to work anymore and I can't even keep my home clutter free or clean anymore. I have my home come over and help alot, thank god for Moms! I do the bear minimum such as picking up clutter from time to time, cleaning litter boxes from time to time, doing dishes from time to time and laundry a couple times a week. My husband works full-time and will not lift a finger to help with the house. He figures that he works so the house is my problem but that doesn't stop him from complaining about it regularly. We can't afford to pay for someone to come in a do any cleaning or I'd be welcoming them in. We are looking to sell our home and buy a new house. Trying to pack, organize and clean is scaring me but the thought on moving into a new clean home and insisting things not be moved in until they are organized excites me as then I could maybe feel proud about my home again and have company over from time to time!
    A
  17. meowee

meowee New Member

I cannot do it like I used to do. I'd have this place slick as a whistle. Now, I try to concentrate on one room at a time. If I get that done, I feel as if I have really accomplished something. I have gotten a few things to help, especially my Oreck vaccuum. It is wonderful and helps tremendously.

God bless.
  18. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Which I found out about on this board has great tips. Just go to her website.

Let go of perfection and just do a little bit at a time.

Believe me, it works.

My Oreck is my new best friend, love it!

God Luck,

Sue in Ontario
  19. annabella39

annabella39 New Member

Thank goodness I have a room mate who understands my condition and my limitations. I could vaccuum but it would take me all day because I'd have to take breaks all the time because my butt cramps so bad. I do try to do the kitchen, cook and keep the guest bath clean. Unfortunetly, mowing the lawn is out of the question. Not only would I be crippled, I'm allergic to grass. My roomie is an old family friend and knew me before fm got a hold of me. I thank God everyday for her.
  20. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Go to WalMart and find the dish section. There they have boxes of forks and spoons, 6 for $1.00. i keep them in separate mugs on the counter. Hubby gets the good, i get those. i bought a doz. forks and 1 1/2 doz spoons.
    Sure helps~~~~~I don't have to run the dishwasher as often that way.

I have a lady who comes every 3 weeks. She is deep cleaning now - a room at a time. Normally she vacuums, dusts and scrubs the bathroom floor. i clean the bath every 5 days or so ----doesn't take much time. Use a swiffer on the floor.

I have worked a little at a time on really cleaning all of the kitchen appliances, better than I had done in years!

I do laundry (kills me!) and the sheets. I can hardly stand after the sheets.

rest of the time, I keep picked up - everyty8ng goes back that comes out. i feel so good when all is in order. Since it is just the 2 of us, it isn't difficult.

Hubby does litter box and I take trash barrel to street on Mon. morning for pickup. We get along OK that way,

Joan