Does Anyone Crochet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Jun 3, 2007.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was wondering if anyone crochets? I love it and would like to share ideas. I'm not expert but have perfected my stitches - I just have a problem following instructions on more complicated patterns - also, I am ashamed to say, completing a project.

I get tired of the yarn before I finish, then start another project. I also would like to talk about color combinations, yarns, needles, etc.

I hope someone is interested.
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Yes I have crocheted for almost 40 years off and on. My biggest project and I DON'T think I will ever attempt again is s king size cover for my sisters waterbed. it was georgous. I had made several afgans of same stitch and she loved the stitch for her bed so it took a year but I did it.

I now usually do baby blankets but the kind of baby yarn I love is hard to come by here.

When I work on a project I usually have 2 projects going on at the same time so I won't get bored with yarn/stitch.

What do you usually do. would love to hear from you.

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Yep, I'm prolific at crochet and it's a good thing I give it all to charity.

I crochet hats and scarves for the Cops-N-Kids reading program (once an Oprah's Angel Network recipient) and they love getting these important items because so many kids don't have warm clothing. (It's in Racine Wisconsin)

I also crochet for baby charities too, blankets and hats for preemies and I just sent off a huge box of stuff after we moved.

I like to stick with this quick stuff because I too, get bored so easily. I've already done blankets for around the house and knew it would drive hubby nuts if we ended up with crochet items everywhere, that's why I give it all away.

I also found out about 5 years ago that I'm ADHD which goes right along with not being able to finish projects. Medication helps me greatly with this. As a kid, I never finished my projects either.

My stuff is all quick, simple and the projects are so small that it's pretty cheap too.

Nancy B
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I usually only do afghans, baby and full size. I've done lots of them using different patterns. I have done many many ripple patterns using different variations. Ripple is so easy, I don't have to think too much!

I'll see if I can post a picture of the latest one I finished. It is for my niece who is giving birth to a baby boy sometime this week. She will probably get the afghan today.

I enjoy playing around with creating the color scheme. I've got a new technique for picking colors that is pretty cool. Easy and works beautifully. I'll share it later. (I have to go to work right now).

Nancy, I have twin daughters that were preemies (12 weeks early). I received two of the handmade preemie hats and cried when I got them. I was so grateful and touched that someone would actually take the time to do that and donate them. So maybe I got some of the hats you made! Whether they were actualy yours or not, I want to say a big THANK YOU on behalf of all of us mothers that received such a wonderful gift! I still treasure those tiny little hats!
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I taught myself when I was 9 years old, after having right-handed people try to teach me.

I'm not into fancy stitches, and I've never made a blanket. I have made sweater vests and purses for my daughters.

I would like to take an intermediate class so that I can learn the fancy stitches and how to do blankets and tablecloths, etc., because I love crocheted things.
  6. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I find that crocheting causes my hands to go numb and tingle with pins and needles feelings. Also, it's hard on my neck and shoulders. I love crocheting, but can't sit and do it for very long, just like I can't sit and do much of anything for very long. Boo-hoo!
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I love to chrochet! Especially like to make afghans in the winter. That way I use my work to stay warm!

Sweet - Had the same problem trying to learn left handed. Finally figured out that if my Mom sat across from me I could follow what she was doing and it worked out great. Of course if I'm making a sweater and the pattern thinks I'm working on the left sleeve, I'm actually working on the right!

I've always done things with regular and baby yarn but a few years ago I saw a pattern for an Irish lace christening set. I made the hat, booties and gown and it is beautiful. Now all I need is a grandchild to use it! It used that tiny stuff that's more like string!

Neither of my girls have seen it or even know that I made it. It will be a surprise for my first grandbaby.

It helps to keep my hands limber. My girlfriend (ok, she's 76 but she still my "girl" friend) knits to keep her hands limber and she also gives a lot of things to the hospital for the premie ward and lives in a tiny town, maybe 2500 people, and makes hats and mittens for the schools.

8. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I am the only granddaughter that Granny could tie down long enough to teach and I am so glad she did.
    I have made all the inlaws afghans for Christmas and they treasure them.
    The easiest stitch that I have ever done is called the Lacy Pineapple. It is so simple and really pretty.
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I go in spurts. I may turn out all kinds of finished projects over a couple of months of crocheting---then I'm off on an entirely different tangent.

I also like to keep crocheting projects small as I get bored.

I've made doggie coats for most of the smaller doggies on my block. it got terribly cold here last winter (central Texas). Our block was a style show of doggie outerwear.

I may pull out my sewing machine next. Or maybe I'll do some carpentry. I just have ants in the pants. I have to be doing something or I get antsy.

Last month, I was into baking bread. I was giving out hot loaves of bread several nights a week to my neighbors. I think I must have nervous energy.

I used to make afghans, but they get so hot on my lap when I'm crocheting. Now, I want to do things that don't require huge blocks of my time.
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you so much, you've just made my day!

Although I wasn't responsible for the hats that you received I can only hope that the full box that I sent(really big box full) will be as appreciated as your gift was.

I made some for holiday preemies too, santa hats and pumpkin hats for Christmas and Halloween.

I had never done this kind of work before, but sent hats as small as an apple size on up because I just didn't know what they'd need and have never even seen a really small preemie before but I do know that they're saving very small babies these days.

I did the blankets small too, from around 12"x12" on up and used a tight type of stitch so things wouldn't get caught on tubes and tape.

Do you have any other ideas that will be helpful when making more things?

And just to let you know, you've inspired me to do some more. We're at the end of our busy moving and just have a few small details to finish on our new house then I'm free to go back to my crafting and I just can't wait.

I also think it's funny that you do so much in ripple stitch. That's the ONE stitch that I just can't figure out!! Just can't get the hang of it...

Nancy B

And Pvlady, what a great idea for a thread. Maybe we can create a supportive sub-group here?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2007]
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks everyone - I am currently working on afghan just alternating HDC and DC's. For anyone who wants to learn crochet, they have classes at the craft stores like Joanne and Michaels.

I started using a crochet hook called "Clover" that are made in Japan. They are really neat and your project looks very uniform. You can really tell the difference if you hold up a sample of your work next to one with a traditional needle. The needles have a kind of guard where your yarn stops each time you make a stitch. Has anyone else used these hooks?

Also, if anyone has a interesting pattern (not too hard) for a afghan or ideas for colors I would love to hear them. My mother used to make very complicated afghans with beautiful flowers attached.

I am also wondering if anyone can tell me, once I finish my afghan, what is a good way to finish off the edges, or trim?

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

When I finish any project (afgan included) I just pull through the last stitch, then leave at least a foot of yard on an afgan then weave it through with my needle.

I've never had one come undone this way. For smaller projects I leave a smaller tail to weave through.

Nancy B
  13. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I have tried teaching myself how and just can't. I have wanted to learn how to crochet for years and have checked out the basic "Learn How To Crochet" books with still no help.

What's the best way to learn? Thanks for any advise :eek:)

14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It really depends on what type of learner you are. Do you learn more easily through visual methods or by reading about something?

My opinion is that crochet is best learned by having someone show you. It is a dynamic and visual craft. You could just ask a friend or better yet, take a class. You could also see if there are DVDs at the library on How to Crochet or Learn to Crochet.

I think you also need a good book on basic stitches to have as a reference guide.

I learned by having someone show me, then asked that person questions as they came up. But I also had written material to refer to. I still need to look up a few stitches now and then.

I also think there are on-line guides. I think it would be hard to follow a series of pictures. I think a movie-type guide would be more helpful to start. Good luck ladies!
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have taught many people how to get started. Purchase one skein of "Red Heart" yarn of your favorite color. (Unfortunately, I need to sit with you to show you).

Get a No. J. crochet hook - one hook I like is by "Clover". It is easy to hold.

At the craft store, ask if anyone can show you how to make a chain stitch and a "half a double" crochet stitch. That is enough to start.

If you can master making a "chain" - then learn one or two stitches - a "double crochet" and a "half a double crochet".

For example, you can make a chain of approx. 120 stitches. Then when you make the next row, do all half double crochets. It is a easy stitch.

Just go back and forth with the same stitch. To learn these very basis stitches - go to your local craft store that sells yarn. They all have classes to teach crochet. If you don't see a scheduled class, ask if they have a instructor who will give you some private help. It should be inexpensive.

Once you learn this, you will truly enjoy it. I am so compulsive about buying yarn.

Most of the learning is just getting used to holding the proper "tension" of the yarn in your hand. It just takes practice but I am sure you can do it.

We will all give you support here... I wish you lived in So. Calif. - I would show you how to do these stitches myself. I love to see someone start crocheting because I have enjoyed it so much.

Often I carry yarn and needles in my carry bag. If I am sitting somewhere, I bring it out to work on. Several times, I have taught people those basis stitches and given them yarn and a needle to take with them.
    The last person I taught was only 9.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2007]
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for that tip - I will do this in the future....
  17. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You can definitely do as Nancy suggested and just weave the loose end through the work itself. I do that often.

Another option is to crochet a finishing edge. One of my favorites it to go around the entire afghan with 2 or 3 rows of single crochet. On the ends, you usually only do 1 sc on top of each double crochet (or whatever stitch you used). On the sides, I usually do 1-2 sc at the end of each row.

I usually just wing it on where I'm putting the first row of sc. The second row is always really easy. Just sc on top of the first row!

Then after I have my base of a couple of sc rows, I go around the whole thing and do a row of scallops. That is where you are doing 5dc, skip a sc, sc, skip a sc, 5dc, skip a sc, sc, skip a sc, 5 dc, etc.

It gives a really nice finished look. You can use the same yarn as you used for the afghan itself, or use a contrasting color.

I'm pretty free form about how I do the edging. If the scallops look too scrunched, I skip more sc and space them out more.

I hope I explained that okay. I've never told anyone how to do this before! Let me know if this makes sense!

Thanks for getting this thread going!

18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I posted a picture of one of my twin girls in her little hat! She was only two weeks old here and weighed about 2 pounds. As a reference, her head was about 10" circumference when born. That's about the size of an orange.

Every time we had them out of their incubators, they had to wear a hat to help maintain their body temperature. So all those hats you donate are being put to good use, I guarantee it! Thank you for your kindness!

BTW, my girls are 12 yrs old now!

As far as what else would be useful, I would think a small throw would be good. Not a full size baby afghan, but something to put over the baby when you are holding them outside of the incubator. You'd have to check with a NICU to see if they allow that, though. They need to be able to easily launder things.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2007]
  19. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thank you for those suggestions. I printed it out and I do understand what you are explaining. It motivates me to finish a afghan so I can do the edging.

The picture of your twin is so cute!!!! So tiny...
  20. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm glad you understood my instructions. I didn't know if I was explaining it in a way that made sense!

You can add in as many single crochet rows as you like. It gives a bigger border that way.

One of the patterns I like for baby afghans is called spiderweb. It looks like it's made of squares, but it's not (I hate sewing squares together!). Just a warning, it's not a pattern for beginners. The pattern is a bit challenging to figure out at first, but once you get the hang of it, it makes sense.

I made one for my nephew when he was born 10 years ago. He loved putting his fingers through it and was always very attached to it. It was very tactile for him.

He has dragged that thing around for 10 years now! It has gotten a bit ratty looking because it has been so "loved". So I made him a new one for his 10th birthday. I tried to use deeper colors to make it more "boy-like". He just loves it! (a little odd if you ask me, but, hey, whatever!)

On the new one, I used a fuzzy yarn for the trim and it was a pain to work with. I ended up just doing several rows of single crochet all the way around. The afghan itself was deep jewel tones and the trim was a white/gray with purple & green bits running through it. It turned out really cute. I'll see if I can post of picture of that one. I'll give you a shout if I do.

I really want to try your Clover hook. That sounds interesting!