Does anyone do hydro/water therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I wish I could get a Dr. to perscribe it.
    That rhuemy I saw, I ask him about it, and he just laughed!
    I can certainly see it helping, if nothing else, just relaxing muscle's alone!
    I hope I can find away to start it!
    Anyone else do it?
    TIA~Karen
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Karen...your post made me long for summer. We are fortunate enough to have a pool and I am in it every day that I can from May until October. I use an aqua jogger flotation belt and "weights" made of foam...my kids laugh at my "weights", but they do have resistance in the water.

We keep our pool at 86-88 degrees, and when I enter the water, it is as if someone just turns off the pain switch. The exercise along with the warm water is just the best....I play music, jog around the pool and sing! It's a huge lift emotionally, too.

I would do warm water therapy here in the winter, but I have not heard good things about the pool that is available. If you get a chance, try it. My best friend has FM too, and she comes over and we jog together in the water...fun...and how much we savor the fun in our lives, huh? God bless...Ann
  3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

That sounds so wonderful.....
    Can I have directions to your house???? LOL
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

The only problem is that is about 35 degrees here...yikes...cold would not be good for either of us!!

Good luck! Ann
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Karen,
    My Dr. in Los Gatos prescribed it for me. He was sure it would help. I went to a wonderful, warm, pool that was made specifically for therapy, and was only used for that. I had someone who directed me in the movements I should do. Mostly, I would just hang in the water, or walk.

I was not able to take it. For every hour in the water I spent 3 days in bed, literally crawling on the floor, to go to the bathroom. My problem is that I'm sensitive to chlorine. I'm sure it would have helped if I hadn't been.

Good luck. I hope you can get a Dr. to prescribe it.
    Terry
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I've heard about watsu- it's movement therapy, kinda like a massage but involved moving your body around in very gentle and healing ways in a warm body of water. Several people have suggested it to me .... maybe try a search on the web or in your hometown and see what you can find! I'm sure it has very benefical calming effects and might even help you heal.

I swim gently in a pool, and also use the hot tub and steam room at the place I have a membership. I think movement in water has been very helpful for me, especially the heat- it helps my musclees warm up and prepare for moving around in the cooler pool.
  7. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

for all replies, this sounds great, I'll be checking into this soon!
    Gentle Hugz, Karen :)
  8. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Water exercises classes are a little different than water therapy because they do not require a prescription, but may require doctor permission. My rheumy suggested I try it.

Check the Arthritis Foundation website at arthritis.org for aquatic exercise programs in your area. There are certain standards these programs have to meet and one of them is the water temperature is kept at aprox. 92 degrees.

I attend a program and not only is it fun socially, good stretching and beg. level exercise, but it feels very good to my sore body. I am very relaxed and feel sleepy when I am done. People in the class either have a variety of arthritis related conditions or are recovering from injuries. Everyone can exercise at whatever level of fitness they are at.

Hope you have one nearby in your area. I have to drive about 30 minutes, but it is worth it because it feels so good.

Jeanette
  9. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Like Jeanette, I go to our local YMCA & attend an Arthritis Foundation Water Exercise class. The pool I use is the smaller therapy pool which is heated to 92 degrees. It feels wonderful, and is such a fun & good way to exercise!

I believe this class has improved my health the most of anything I've tried over the past few years. I also walk with my dog every day. The water exercise is great because it is easy to move in the warm water & practically every muscle in your body gets a workout.It is relaxing as well.

Most people in my class have some form of Arthritis or Fibro.

Good luck! I hope you can find a class/ warm pool near you!

Blessings,
    Annie
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I found this really helful, in a warm hydrotherapy pool with a physiotherapist who knew about CFS/FMS. Unfortunately I was only allotted 6 sessions, & ordinary swimming pools are too cold & crowded to be of benefit.
  11. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I really like water aerobics or just going to the pool at the "Y". It really helps my tired legs and the pool is the only place I can walk without my crutches. Getting in and out of the pool is a little hard though.

hugs

Jackie
  12. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Well, shame on that Rhuemy for laughing. Warm water therapy is about the Best thing FM people can do. I had PT in a warm pool 91 degrees and the therapist taught me all of the exercises.

I discovered a Therapy Pool not far from me which is indoors and the water is 94 degrees! It helps. They also offer classes through the Arthritis foundation, so you may want to contact them for something in your area.

Good luck with this!
  13. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

You all have made me feel very hopefull, I will be on the search come Monday morning! Wish me luck!
    Gentle hugz, Karen