does anyone do Water aerobics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

does it make you feel better or worse?

Years ago, long before Fibro showed up in me, I went to water aerobics & really liked it.
    that was before I gained so much weight too
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Early on I started water aerobics and it made a remarkable difference. Then I tapered off.

I started again in this past year and getting any relief from it was much slower coming, I should of stuck with it before and not get so unconditioned. At first I hated it, I meant the second time around, I had to push myself to go.. and then gradually I was so glad to be there and enjoyed it again.

I had a fall of sorts and it has taken for ever to recover from it. I could hardly walk or move...really had a bad relapse. I hope to get back to it soon. There are times you should not....I was hurting and weak, extra bad.

You might have this same type of pool....so
    I am posting this more for others that reads this:

Ours is at our local YMCA.....it has a special heated pool (Very much needed for me)and the floor raises and lowers to help ones to get into the pool. They lower it just to a persons comfort zone. Some are scared in the water. So anyone that says WHOA...that is where it stays.

It is for arthritis....but many with other problems goes also and there is a person who guides us through our excercises, which is so much easier in the water. Also do not do all at first, if it hurts, do not do it. No one will get after you for not doing it! It is for your benefit alone.

I have always loved to float on my back...always loved the water. This last time I was shocked as I could not float on my back at all. After a few weeks I tried again and I could do it again! Shows that it can help.

99% of the ones that goes are over weight and older.....no one cares what you look like in that bathing suit. You will lose any feelings of being self concious of how you look.
    Our folks are fun also....great for the morale.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Yes, I have been doing this the past couple of months. I do it for an hour three afternoons a week. Actually, the first half hour we do the aerobics and then we can just swim on our own. My class is at a rehabilitation center so it's geared for people with FMS, arthritis, etc. You have to have your doctor's approval to go there. They also keep the water warm-94 degrees which feels wonderful.

I think it has been beneficial for me. It has improved the mobility in my right shoulder.

Ellen
  4. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I think it has saved my life or at least my sanity. I go to the ymca for a reduced rate. Its still alot for me 30.00each mth but it is worth it. They go by your salary and my husband works. I started with the arthritis class. Its mostly stretching and it is a good place to start. Pretty soon, I got bored and moved up to regular water arobics. At first I had a hard time, would be in the bed for a day or two. But I loved it. I couldnt get the silly grin off of my face. Now I know to do what I can and I usually tell the instructor before class when Im haveing a bad day. It doesnt matter. I finally have people to talk to again. My Y has a big big whirlpool that I get in before class and again after. Our pool doesnt have the graduated bottoms the other mentioned, but the 4 steps are not hard and there are rails to hold on to. I love it. I feel stronger so I can handle the pain better. Ive missed the last wk with dr. appts and I cant wait to go back tomorrow. I will have to take it easy but it is so much fun. Try it. Call your ymca or community center that has an indoor pool or even a highschool in your area. Ours here lets you come for free but it doesnt have steps, just ladders and I cant get out. Just go. There are fat people like me and skinny and old and young and nobody says a word about how you look

Suzette
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I was able to do water aerobics once upon a tme and I loved it. That was pre-CFIDS. I tried doing it a couple of years ago. I was miserable. It made me very sad because it was so much fun while I was in the water and we had a great group of people.

Problem for me was I needed help getting out of the pool. I could barely walk after each session and afterwards it put me in a bad flare.

If you decide to do it, start very gently. It's very tempting to want to keep up with the class and in the water you don't realize you are overdoing it. Talk to your instructor so that she/he can show you gentle variations of the regular exercises.

Good luck. I hope it works for you

Lolalee
  6. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I wish I could year round! I live in Arizona and have a pool at home (not heated) so I only use it during summer (which lasts forever here!) as I can't afford a public pool, let alone just getting there and back.

Water aerobics and my Fibro Yoga DVD, is a lifesaver! It's great for FMS, but like Lolalee, I also have CFIDS and it's kind of like oil and water when it comes to exercise. I start out 5 minutes a day with very gentle water exercises and try to work my way up from there. Even just sitting on the steps in the water feels awesome! Not to mention how great it makes you feel spiritually, even if you accomplish just 5 minutes worth!

Hopefully you'll be able to participate again.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Gives me cystitis. If the water was warmer maybe. A new pool just opened up connected to hospital here that is a warm water areobic pool and I was thinking I may get scrip to use it as I also understand they are using ultra violet not chlorine too.

Love Anne C