Does anyone else bang into things alot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smeyers, Oct 18, 2006.

1. smeyers

smeyers New Member

I've noticed it a lot more lately, that I seem to walk into door frames or bang my knee or something that causes bruises and soreness. If people didn't know me, they might think I'm being abused!It's painful, not to mention the fact that I look like a dork who can't watch where they're going!

My balance has always been off because my achilles tendons are too short, but that doesn't explain the upper body hits I keep taking. How about you? Is it the stiffness of the muscles or what?

Anything we can do about it?
  2. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I bang into everything. I also look like I have been abused, but I have always been this way. I think a lot of times I just don't pay attention lol
  3. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

Door frames and table corners beware!
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Are you kidding?!? The only color I have on my legs is from bruises and varicose veins!

I ran into a door frame so hard I nearly dropped! My shoulder was black and blue and sore for weeks.

I wish that stuff would stand still instead of jumping out in front of me!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. huska

huska New Member

Stairs are my main problem...I just have to keep away from them..besides the rest of the furniture, but I have this problem for a long time.
    I can't do anything about it. I try to pay more attention but it doesn't work....lol....
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Always bumping into something. My husband laughs at me, he thinks it is cute....hahaha....ok, it might be cute but it HURTS...lol....~huga~ Mick!!
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

Door frames, table edges, desks, dogs, whatever happens to be near me, I can run into. I swear that corners of wall lean out to catch my shoulders and hips! (lol)

Some days are worse than others, lately has been pretty bad. Seems like the more stressed I am, the more I bump into things.

I don't know if I am distracted or just lose sense of my body boundaries. Fibro fog days are the worst.

I don't show bruises easily, so I don't look abused, but I do run into things. Good thing I don't do that while driving my car!!!

I have no clue what to do about it. Anyone else have any ideas?

Beth.
  8. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

I always bump into things. Door frames, edge of the coffee table, counter edges, the bed footboard, everything! lol. I feel like a total dork sometimes too. haha.

Bekah
  9. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

And my dining room table loves to 'bite' my hips...

Like greenbean, my shoulders get banged up often with those doorways...Hubby redid all the entries and doors in the house in pine...Ahhhhhh, a softwood...NOT!

My dining room table loves banging into my hips and I back up into it too, leaving my poor butt bruised...UUggghhhhh!!!

And last but not least, RAILINGS...Why is it that my brain pushes me right AT the darn thing??? My belly gets a bang up whenever I approach a railing, then I grab it like it beat me and hold on for dear life cause we know what stairs can do...Oh, my poor toes (from kicking the steps)

Oh wait, the worst is when I bang my right hip into a corner (usually on a display in a supermarket, damn marketers) and that's the hip they took the bone out of for my neck fusion...Can we say OOOOWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I seem much more verbally creative when I bash myself up, people still look at me funny...hahahahaha...Not funny tho!

Bring the shoulder pads back from the 80's, I could really use them now...tehe

10. singingirl

singingirl New Member

My husband tells me I am the only person in the world that could possibly fall UP the stairs at least once a month.

My 9 yr. old niece was spending the night with us one night and I fell up the stairs, she jumped up and said "Aunt Trecia are you drunk"! I NEVER drink!!!!! So it was kinda hard to explain lol
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yep that's me !

In between the bumping into things and my Forteo shots for Osteoporosis I am one giant black and blue mark. However, I and also my mother have almost always been that way (turning black and blue after coming in contact with almost anything) !

It's a good thing my clothing hides alot of it. However, sometimes in the summer time then I have to try covering some of them with makeup !

Soft hugs,

Marilyn (granniluvsu)
  12. TKE

TKE New Member

...I don't bang into things...cause they bang into me, LOL.

You know...those doorways that jump right in front of you when you're not expecting it. The chairs/tables/foot stools/bed frames/dog toys/car doors/stairs/etc they're all the same...they have it in for me I just know it, LOL.

My Husband has threatened to put me in a rubber suit, in a rubber room for my own protection :).
  13. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

I DO~ Not sure why either.
  14. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I'm running into walls,edge of the table especially,i can't rember how i got the black and blues..loli'm always triping over my cats
    Hugs,Bernadette
  15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I've done this all my life. My friends used to call me "Grace" because i was so ungraceful. I bang into door frames, tables, etc.

Another thing I do is scrape my fingers. I was finding scrapes and scratches all over the front of my fingers and couldn't figure out why. Finally my hubby noticed that when I reached into kitchen or bathroom drawers my hands dont always clear and I scrape the tops on the drawers! I don't know if it's brain fog or depth perception or what! I always have bandaids on my fingers!

My balance is not always good either. I'm sure that doesn't help much.
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

don't know. I suspect it may be an aspect of brain fog. The last few years I've been bumping into things. Bump my head getting in the car; stuff that never use to happen.

My balance is also going. Sometimes I'd fall over if I didn't live in a small apt. where I'm always near a wall.
  17. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

It seems things are magnetically attracted to my head (have been in ER twice for mild concussions now) and all those silly door frames and doors just seem to move around and open on their own!

I had to put duct tape around the edges of one of my furniture pieces because it had sharp edges and I kept getting scratched. I thought that was just a bit sad.

And to think once I used to take ballet lessons!
    LOL
  18. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Yes door handles, door jambs, corner of the coffee table, trip over the dog, bang my knee getting in and out of the bathtub, bang my head getting out of the car....

Trust me Singingirl I can fall up the stairs and down the stairs! Has been happening for years. When I was 10 it was a family joke how many times I fell on the stairs. At least when I was 10 I bounced better than I do now.

The worst is when I go walking in the woods with my husband. Rough ground makes me catch my toe and splat I am on the ground!

I really dread the winter coming. I am really afraid of ice! So I don't go out a lot in the winter.

hugs Redwillow
  19. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I had this problem for YEARS!

I've been through three extensive rounds of Neurocogntive Testing, and I always had problems with "Visual-Spatial Relationships".

In plain English: Trying to process an image that I'm seeing.

For instance, I would stand at the top of an escalator for up to 30 seconds, trying to process when I could actually step forward onto a "solid" step and then get my leg to do it at the right time.

While walking down a hallway toward a door, I couldn't always "process" the spatial relationship quickly enough to maneuver my body through the opening - thus LOTS of bumps and bruises from running into doorways, counters, furniture and so on.

The Xyrem resolved my cognitive dysfunction - see my posts about it if you want more information.

- julie (is free!)
  20. lcb212

lcb212 New Member

I too have been called Grace, my daughter is Grace's daughter! family thing! I too stood at the escalator.