Does anyone else crave ice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by taylorat, Jun 30, 2003.

1. taylorat

taylorat New Member

I was just wondering if anyone else craves ice. I want to eat it 24 hours a day. My OB doctor told me I was Anemic and put me on iron pills but they upset my stomach so bad I hate to take them. I went to my regular Dr. and he tested me and said I wasn't Anemic I don't know what to do. I hate the craveing I have for ice because I am afraid I will break a filling and I do not have dental insurance any more. Does anyone else here have the same problem.
  2. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Take some of the little ferious sulfate pills. You can get them from drug stores such as Eckert Drugs and should be able to tolerate them better. One a day with food.

Craving ice is a classic symptom of calcium deficency.
  3. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

My son had a nutritional class at chef's school. He was taught that it is an iron deficancy. Maybe if you cook in an iron frying pan?
    H
  4. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

Having severe cravings of eating ice can be a form of PICA. Not that this is as bad as some forms of PICA. It can get really grose. My daughter has it. I had it with the ice. It's an iron deficiency. Maybe when your second doctor tested you the iron pills were already helping you and showing up good on your test. Try to take your iron pills a little longer your ob gave you to see if it helps with the ice craving. I know the pills can be awful. I had to take them after my 2 pregnancies. I also have IBS. It was awful.

As far as ice and teeth. My husband would search around for places with crushed ice. That would help for the time being.

Good luck,
    Tammy
  5. little

little Member

Regular multi vitamins stopped my craving for ice. I ruined my teeth after years of this craving. I didn't know at the time that I was ruining my teeth. The doctor told me that it was an iron defficency. It took a couple of months before the vitamins worked. Good Luck. Gail
  6. gwtwdebbi

gwtwdebbi New Member

I always craved the ice while I was pregnant and it was an iron deficiency. I took the over the counter iron pills and it did take care of my craving for the ice. Make sure you eat plenty of fibrous items with the pills!! If you must eat the ice, try crushed!!!
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

for 3 years, the doc knew about it. He never one time said anything about my ice eating. The ice had to be clear tho, none of that oxygenated white stuff, lol.
    My anemia is gone, I no longer crave ice.
  8. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

i can't take iron, both my children had juanice?spelling
    anyway my doc told me to drank wine coolers that they are full of iron. hey no problem!as long as you don't over do it.
  9. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

LOL...when I read your post all I could think about was that little yellow packman chomping on ice. Just got a nice little giggle out of it...nedded that about right now.

Tammy
  10. zestytx

zestytx New Member

Craving ice is a classic sign of anemia. There are iron supplements that do not upset your stomach. Ask your pharmacist which ones are most gentle. As I remember, the gluconate is more gentle than the sulphates. If your doctor saysyou are not anemic after a CBC test, then your craving may be due to some sort of need for other supplements/vitamins. People sometimes crave strange things like dirt, paper, starch, ice, when they are short of some sort of mineral or vitamin in their diet. That craving is called pica.
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

then I go a long while before it happens again. I do have a history of anemia. dolsgirl