does anyone else feel that muscle....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amilyne, Dec 20, 2002.

1. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi, just wondering if anyone else feels like muscle relaxants make their whole body hurt worse??? when ever ive taken flexeril and most recently robaxin i feel like my whole body just burns and i feel really weak...the only thing that hasnt done that is skelaxin and that didnt do much of anything for me at all anyhow ..it was like i didnt take a thing...just wondering..thankyou all in advance..

--ami
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2002]
  2. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I've been taking Flexeril since October, 2002. I only take it bedtime. Lately I've been in such a flare that I resorted to taking it during the day as well. I normally have muscle weakness, or the feeling there of, but I'm not sure that I would contribute it to the med.

I am looking into a different approach for my daytime issues since I can't afford to be a bowl of jello and be expected to function. Hope this helps you some. Lisa
  3. dlizard

dlizard New Member

has not only never helped me or my muscle pain.. it has made me so spacey I just can't live like that! Good luck!
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I take 10 mg of Flexeril at night and don't have any of the problems you mentioned. This past week I accidently missed taking it one night and I was in terrible pain and my sleep was a mess. So I would say it definitely helps me.

For a while I was taking 20 mg., and doing fine, but when I added Neurontin into the mix I was feeling spacey in the mornings, so my doc had me cut it back. All I know is it helps me sleep and I feel less pain in the mornings.

Barbara

5. PAT

PAT New Member

Yes, it does make me feel worse! I just don't take it anymore. I asked my prior MD about giving me a different relaxer that wouldn't make me feel so heavy, and zoned out, she said there isn't one!?! She just would not give me anything else to try!She's one of those who likes to be the one in control. Doesn't like suggestions or questions. Needless to say, I have a new doc! I am going to ask him for something else to try. Patti G
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

I have tried numerous ones, including flexeril, robaxin, skelaxin, soma, zanaflex, and a couple more I cannot even remember the names of. What works well for me is soma during the day and then zanaflex at night.
  7. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

I took flexeril about 10 yrs ago when I first got FM. It helped a little at first but the side effects made me a veggie. After a short while it just stopped working and I was a sore, stiff veggie. Nothing really helps me except heat and my chiropractor.
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I get nothing from muscle relaxants.
    No side effects
    No benefits, such as muscle relief, or sleep benefits.
    I might as well take an M&M
    Karen
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I have tried many, and ALL of them turn me into a zombie for at least 24 hours after a dose, even a small one. I use Valium, technically and anti-anxiety medication, as a muscle relaxant or if I am really desperate and can't sleep. The 10mg tabs get cut in half because I am such a lightweight when it comes to sedatives. Can't do that for more than a night or two in a row, though, because I will get the zombie effect, and I really hate that. If the pain is bad enough so I can't stay asleep, I'll mix half a Darvocet with the Valium, taking them about an hour apart. That mix leaves me groggy in the morning, so I don't do it unless I can stay home the next day. And yes, the doc said it's ok to do this, and the pharmacist agreed, mostly because I'm using such small doses and not on a daily basis.

Happy Holidays!
    Beth.
  10. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I don't believe I could function or continue to work 4 days a week without Flexeril which I've taken since dx of FM in 1990. I'm unable to take any pain med as they all make me sick. Went through breast reduction surgery in 2000 without pain meds.

I take 2 10 mgs with my nite meal and sometimes another one when I go to bed along with Pamelor or Ambien. Besides blood pressure meds and some supplements that's all I use.

Gentleness

11. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I take Soma dn so does he now. I felt tired when I first started it but, now it just helps. That was the only reaction we had.

Hope this helps some, Kim and Gary
  12. amilyne

amilyne New Member

well hmm...mabe im just wierd...but then again those are the only things that ive tried..i had a prescription for zanaflex but my insurance would not cover it ..oh well i hope i find something that works...
    thankyou--ami
  13. Ness

Ness New Member

You are not weird...I have adverse reactions to alot of meds...and I have had muscle relaxers seem to make me feel worse...the only one that helps me is Soma and I take it about everyday..I do sometimes take Skelaxin..I have tried Flexeril did nothing but make me sleepy..Zanflex worked at first but after awhile it gave me ice pick type headaches.

We are all different and we all react differently to medications..give me a sleeping pill and I am usually WIDE AWAKE...WE just have Confused Systems ...

You are just fine....it takes alot of trial and error to find what works...and then sometimes what works now will not work later...That is the frustration of the DD!!!!

Peace and Smiles
    Ness