Does anyone else get a delayed reaction to stress???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jun 15, 2006.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

My parents were up for a couple of days last weekend. I took the Monday off to take them shopping. This was all good stress. My parents are a blast.

Last Friday & Saturday I was having problems with migraines. (A new and wonderful development of FM as I never used to get them before).

Sunday, when they came to stay, I was feeling a lot better. Monday a little stiff but still holding up pretty well. They left Tuesday morning. I was back at work by then.

The rest of this week, I have been getting increasingly worse. Fatigue, neuropathy in both legs, hip pain, actually pain all over the place. It was almost going to be one of those "I can't get up" days today.

Do you think this is just a reaction to the busyness of last weekend?

I just don't get it sometimes.

Eileen
  2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

Yes I have had that before,I'll do something that gets me hyped up and then a few days or a week later "WHAM" I know where your coming from.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Take care,
    Mary
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I'm really glad it's the weekend....now if I can just make it to 3pm!!
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I just wrote a response and got that error message thing from the site.

Well, short version in case it never shows up: I think that this illness is in itself a delayed reaction to stress. My greatest case in point- aside from being sick for 11 years! - is two years ago. My oldest son, his family and I flew to California for Thanksgiving to visit my other son and his family.

Lovely time. I rested a lot, I even chose to forego some of the places the rest of them went so I wouldn't overdo.

Got home, had the worst EBV flareup of my life that kept me very ill for the rest of the winter.

Go figure.

Marta
  5. kbehy

kbehy New Member

This web sight has been so helpful to me, I have learned more about fm in one day, then I had in one yr. I have had this delayed stress just this wk, my mother had an accident and my daughter had surgery and for about two wks I ran like crazy and I might add had very little pain then suddenly things slowed down and boom the pain and depression hit, I hit bottom yesterday and found this web site, I see others r having the same symtoms as I do, when I was just beginning to think some things r not what I thought were related to fm i see they r thank u
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have had post-stress pain for along time.

First migraines a few days after the stress. My mom has Alzheimers and I always get a headache within a day or two of spending a day with her. I hate to say that Mom gives me headaches, but since she gets them too I guess I'd have to!

Now stress causes not "just" migraines but all over pain that will keep me in bed if I can stay there.

My Mom was an EMT and she always got a migraine within a couple of days after a bad ambulance run. No fibro, but definately post-stress pain.

How do you stay stress free? Sleep all the time I guess. Then I'd stress about missing my life! Just can't win here.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  7. sascha

sascha Member

Eileen- i have cfids; have had many delayed reactions to stress. i seem to "rise to the occasion" when a lot is required of me, then i relapse badly, sometimes for months, with temperature, bad pains, flu-like symptoms, incredible fatigue. it can be a brief emotional upset that occurs after which i crash for a time. I am trying to be more protective of my health by not doing too much even when i might feel up to it. it's hard to do, though. i know one thing, though, don't fight your way through it. when your body and brain say stop >>STOP. if i sense something is going to overtax me,with not enough return for the effort, i just don't go.
    i am recently embarked on trial period using coconut oil in place of other fats. i have been experiencing big changes for the better at times. lots of info. on the Internet. i'm juicing vegetables, having coc.oil, only high-quality meats and vegatables, cod-liver oil and for first time in years, i seem to be getting at chronic systemic problems.
  8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I made it through until 3 yesterday and drove home as fast as allowable.

We had a couple of storms overnight so maybe that triggered a stronger reaction. It's still cloudy here but improving. I'm hoping our pool is warm enough today to get in to. I'm going to live in it for the summer.

(Brrrr...Ottawa is the coldest capital in the world if you didn't know)

Best regards to you all

Eileen